The Basshead Club
Mar 11, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #5,297 of 11,286
Those who haven't seen it then may want to concider checking out the new AT solid bass series flagship can ATH-WS99 too, Dannybai and Dsnuts really likes these headphones, I know I will have to get one because they sound like an improved Q40 by the description. The mids are more forward on WS99 than on M100 for example and the bass on M100 seems a little muddy in comparison according to Dannybai. :) They seem to have fast/hard hitting bass, up-front engaging sound with good depth and good balance throughout with the boosted bass, the WS99 also have a bit more treble sparkle according to him over M100 but it remains sibilance free.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/650449/the-new-ws99-at-fan-thread/195#post_9246325

I know I want one! :)

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #5,298 of 11,286
Quote:
At least you know good music! And thanks!

I find his music smooth enough to be great background music, but detailed enough for focused listening, it's phenomenal!

Correct me if I'm wrong but juz get yourself a second hand Denon D2000 and just enjoy it. That is if
you like lush, liquid sound as compared to analytical-clinical HD800 type of sound.

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #5,299 of 11,286
Quote:
Nomination: Maybe the UE6000?

I have only briefly auditioned the UE6000, but I think I'll have another go at them.

Will add them to the list. Thanks!

Quote:
thanks for the effort! i think you got something wrong though, i paid 170$ for my dt770s off amazon, you have them listed at 280$ or something. 

If I'm not wrong, the PRO 80 version of the DT770 is its bassiest. Is that what you have as well? According to Amazon, they have 3 models listed. I'm not really sure, tbh. 
confused.gif

Mar 11, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #5,300 of 11,286
Quote:
I did... I miss them too, but I love the 500s. They have their share of Bass too.

Still, I'm a bit of a Basshead at heart and sometimes I just want a little more... There's just nothing quite like the sound pressure and slam you get from a standard closed back driver!

Can't tell you guys how much I appreciate the lead. I'm really thrilled to tell you the truth (Christmas in March!) I have a feeling I'm going to love 'em.  
wink.gif

I would love to read a detailed comparison when you have time to throw it up.

Mar 11, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #5,301 of 11,286
Just an update on my Magni. It turns out it's the amp after all. I hooked up my headphones to my receiver (got the cables I needed today), and I could go louder than the magni without hearing that clipping sound. I hooked up the magni to the headphone out on the receiver, and the clipping is still evident, if not worse. I tried going computer->toslink out->receiver in->line out->magni->headphones, but that didn't work. I guess my receiver doesn't support an analog output from a digital input.

The magni certainly has the power, though. When I hooked it up to the headphone out on the receiver, the volume knob on the magni was at like 3% (volume on the receiver is on 54), and it was plenty loud. So tomorrow I'm going to return this and spend my money on something else. I still have faith in Schiit, so maybe I'll pick up an Asgard 2 or a Lyr, unless you guys have any recommendations within that price range. 

Mar 11, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #5,302 of 11,286
hey is it worth it to use a fiio amp and a z02 at the same time? I heard someone doing it before but im being told now it can lead to clipping and other issues and really wont make much of a difference..

Mar 11, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #5,303 of 11,286
hey is it worth it to use a fiio amp and a z02 at the same time? I heard someone doing it before but im being told now it can lead to clipping and other issues and really wont make much of a difference..

It works from ZO2 -> Whatever Fiio... Also, my ZO2 is yours for $80 shipped. :wink:

Mar 11, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #5,304 of 11,286
Quote:
It works from ZO2 -> Whatever Fiio... Also, my ZO2 is yours for $80 shipped.
wink.gif

oh,. i thought it would be like this:

ipod touch --> L9 icable ---> fiio e70k ---> 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable ---> z02

how would having the z02 first and fiio second change the sound ?

and thanks but i bought a z02 from the classified section for 70 shipped to canada today.. but i will ask my friend if he wants one and if he does ill send him your way

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #5,305 of 11,286
Quote:

I'm the double amp proponent and love the sound.  I go from source (iPhone 4 or 5) out via a Fiio LOD connector to my E-11, then into the ZO, which I set to high gain and highest red bass contour, and into my phones.  The E-11 controls the volume.  

Done this way, no clipping or distortion, but you have to do it exactly as I have it laid out.  Trust me, I tried every other possible way and they all were distorted or worse.  You have to use a LOD connector.

The sound depth, bass quality and quantity at low volume levels is what makes this so awesome.  Like a subwoofer in your head......

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #5,306 of 11,286
Quote:
oh,. i thought it would be like this:

ipod touch --> L9 icable ---> fiio e70k ---> 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable ---> z02

how would having the z02 first and fiio second change the sound ?

and thanks but i bought a z02 from the classified section for 70 shipped to canada today.. but i will ask my friend if he wants one and if he does ill send him your way

You nailed it.  

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #5,307 of 11,286
Quote:
I'm the double amp proponent and love the sound.  I go from source (iPhone 4 or 5) out via a Fiio LOD connector to my E-11, then into the ZO, which I set to high gain and highest red bass contour, and into my phones.  The E-11 controls the volume.  

Done this way, no clipping or distortion, but you have to do it exactly as I have it laid out.  Trust me, I tried every other possible way and they all were distorted or worse.  You have to use a LOD connector.

The sound depth, bass quality and quantity at low volume levels is what makes this so awesome.  Like a subwoofer in your head......

ah yes you were the one i believe i saw post pics showing this set up.. the ipod/iphone volume should be set to max and the fiio bass and treble and gain should be flat and z02 high gain and desired bass setting , and you control the volume thru the fiio..

is this how its done?

thanks so much cant wait to test this out on my fresh hippo VBs

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #5,308 of 11,286
Quote:
ah yes you were the one i believe i saw post pics showing this set up.. the ipod/iphone volume should be set to max and the fiio bass and treble and gain should be flat and z02 high gain and desired bass setting , and you control the volume thru the fiio..

is this how its done?

thanks so much cant wait to test this out on my fresh hippo VBs

Only one change - the iPod/iPhone volume doesn't matter since as soon as you put the LOD in, it takes over the control to the amps.  Other than that, you've got it!

Let us know what you think.  I believe you will approve.  

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #5,309 of 11,286
Quote:
Only one change - the iPod/iPhone volume doesn't matter since as soon as you put the LOD in, it takes over the control to the amps.  Other than that, you've got it!

Let us know what you think.  I believe you will approve.  

will def let u know how it goes with the e07k and zo2 pushing my hippo vbs ,.. cant wait to test this out!!

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #5,310 of 11,286
Is it really worth it to buy so much amping equipment for a single pair of VBs? Don't you think it might've been a better purchase to just buy some better IEMs? I'm not saying the VBs are bad, I just mean you're spending more for your amp and dac than your phones. 

Then again, I suppose you can use the amp + dac for more than one set of 'phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back