The Basshead Club
Feb 27, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #5,071 of 11,286
Quote:
Still waiting for an ATH-WS99 vs M100 comparison 

i think im giving up on those and just getting the m-100 tbh...

Quote:
Hey Guys! Noob Budding Basshead Audiophile here! I was just wondering if I were have no budget, should I start low and work my way up (Eg: ATH WS99) or start in the middle (Eg: M100) or just reached for the skies (Denon D-5Ks Price Range) or really go for summit-fi (Grado GS1000i/ LCD-2s)? Remembering the fact that my ears are still not exactly trained yet! I only can determine quite a few factors but I have yet grasped how to determine soundstage, mids and highs but I can determine clarity/resolution, congestedness, and bass quantity/prominence (not yet quality though). So start low or high?
PS: This is my actual first step into the audio world. My previous hps were a Bose AE2, Jays T-jays 2, Kilpsch S4, all the avg. consumer stuff. Thx in advance for all the help given!

in my humble (and poor) opinion, if you have the budget to get whatever you like, go by reviews, or auditions if its at all possible for you. ignore the price and look for the can that has the signature you want. just my 2 cents...

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #5,072 of 11,286
Quote:
Hey Guys! Noob Budding Basshead Audiophile here! I was just wondering if I were have no budget, should I start low and work my way up (Eg: ATH WS99) or start in the middle (Eg: M100) or just reached for the skies (Denon D-5Ks Price Range) or really go for summit-fi (Grado GS1000i/ LCD-2s)? Remembering the fact that my ears are still not exactly trained yet! I only can determine quite a few factors but I have yet grasped how to determine soundstage, mids and highs but I can determine clarity/resolution, congestedness, and bass quantity/prominence (not yet quality though). So start low or high?
PS: This is my actual first step into the audio world. My previous hps were a Bose AE2, Jays T-jays 2, Kilpsch S4, all the avg. consumer stuff. Thx in advance for all the help given!

If the option for summit-fi is in your budget and you are a basshead who also cares about overall sound quality, IMO it doesn't get better than the Ultrasone Signature DJ.  If you are looking mid-fi, the M-100 is an excellent choice.

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #5,073 of 11,286
Quote:
Looks like Mshenay and I are doing a trade.

Look for a XB700 Vs. XB1000 Vs. M-100 Vs. SDJ + maybe D-2000 and Pro 900 Comparison soon!

OMG u have the Pro 900... I SO wanted to try those to as well! Anyways I will ship out my xb 700s Thursday. If any one elese want's to join in we could have a MASS BASS HEAD CLUB trade! That way we can ALL try the different bass head cans ;3 

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #5,074 of 11,286
Quote:
If the option for summit-fi is in your budget and you are a basshead who also cares about overall sound quality, IMO it doesn't get better than the Ultrasone Signature DJ.  If you are looking mid-fi, the M-100 is an excellent choice.

Ultrasone Signature DJ description: "The Signature DJ Headphones feature earpads and headband padding made from Ethiopian sheepskin. This material provides acoustic insulation, comfort and non-degrading sweat absorption."

lol!!!! that is pretty baller i guess?? or is it racist/sheep discrimination? I can't tell. =S

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #5,075 of 11,286
Quote:
OMG u have the Pro 900... I SO wanted to try those to as well! Anyways I will ship out my xb 700s Thursday. If any one elese want's to join in we could have a MASS BASS HEAD CLUB trade! That way we can ALL try the different bass head cans ;3 

You can count me in for a demo program...if y'all ship some 'phones to me. I'm almost complete with my ad900->ad2000 driver transplant mod (thursday i'll be finished), and I'd like to play around with them some more. Not to mention, they're the only operable headphones that I have with me (i'm NOT listening to my hfi780s, m50s are in another state, and pro700mk2 are destroyed). I'm sure a lot of you would be surprised what my headphones sound like. Just imagine a Pro700mk2 with more bass quantity and quality, a euphoric midrange, treble that's neither too dark nor too bright, a larger soundstage, more speed, and better separation. That's basically what my headphones are like. 

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #5,076 of 11,286
Quote:
How about the ATH-ES10's, according to the review at Headfonia, they have more bass punch than most portables including the Beats Studio's and also even more than the HD-650's. http://www.headfonia.com/audio-technica-es10/3/

The ES10 is a generally warm can with very impressive bass performance. The low-end is powerful, somewhat-punchy and relatively detailed. They also have good treble emphasis, which makes for a very engaging sound for the EDM tracks that I tested. However, they lose out in just mid-bass quantity to the Beats Studio, which is generally counted as a muddy can.

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #5,077 of 11,286
Hi guys,
 I am pulling the trigger on a pair of dt 770's(250ohm) and a ODAC mainly will be used for rap hip/hop electronic, techno and some rock please tell me if i am doing it wrong?. My budget is 400$ if maxed it would be 420$.. will be getting an amp for them later, mainly i have heard they have not that sharp of highs which i like i like kind of rolled off highs with good amount of tight bass. PLEASE HELP A NOOB OUT! 

Also had interest in the M100 aswell. 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #5,078 of 11,286
Quote:
Hi guys,
 I am pulling the trigger on a pair of dt 770's(250ohm) and a ODAC mainly will be used for rap hip/hop electronic, techno and some rock please tell me if i am doing it wrong?. My budget is 400$ if maxed it would be 420$.. will be getting an amp for them later, mainly i have heard they have not that sharp of highs which i like i like kind of rolled off highs with good amount of tight bass. PLEASE HELP A NOOB OUT! 

Also had interest in the M100 aswell. 
rolleyes.gif

If you spend $300 on the M100 + $100 on an amp you would hit your budget perfectly :wink:

I think the sound quality of the M100 is really nice and they have great customer service. It is really killer for electronic/techno & hippityhop. anything w/ a solid bassline. dubstep is rly sick on it too. If you want to throw down $300 for a stylish, bass-oriented headphones that still has clear highs & mids. comfort might be an issue, but there is a 60 day return policy if you buy from vmoda & amazon is really chill w/ returns too.

I really really liked the sound of the M100, but I never tried anything other audiophile equipment in that price range. I really liked how the treble was not shrill, but was really sharp & clear. (dunno if those are the right words though hahah). The bass is baller, esp super low frequency. very very nice sounding bass but def not overwhelming. I feel like they really sounded great w/ this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf6LD2B_kDQ

i don't think i'm going to keep my M100 b/c of comfort issues, but damn, i really loved them hahaha. kinda sad actually.

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #5,079 of 11,286
Quote:
If you spend $300 on the M100 + $100 on an amp you would hit your budget perfectly :wink:

I think the sound quality of the M100 is really nice and they have great customer service. It is really killer for electronic/techno & hippityhop. anything w/ a solid bassline. dubstep is rly sick on it too. If you want to throw down $300 for a stylish, bass-oriented headphones that still has clear highs & mids. comfort might be an issue, but there is a 60 day return policy if you buy from vmoda & amazon is really chill w/ returns too.

I really really liked the sound of the M100, but I never tried anything other audiophile equipment in that price range. I really liked how the treble was not shrill, but was really sharp & clear. (dunno if those are the right words though hahah). The bass is baller, esp super low frequency. very very nice sounding bass but def not overwhelming. I feel like they really sounded great w/ this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf6LD2B_kDQ

i don't think i'm going to keep my M100 b/c of comfort issues, but damn, i really loved them hahaha. kinda sad actually.

m100's had a lot of pros in my book, rolled off highs good amount of bass stylish and detachable cable, I want all those qualities in a single can but sadly i slightly have a bigger head so comfort would be an issue for me. 

secondly my priority for now is a dac and a pair of cans maybe a cheap amp.. 

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #5,080 of 11,286
Not quite related to the basshead topic, but to you guys making returns to V-Moda, I just wanted to ask of they refund shipping fees as well or not. I assume they don't cover shipping to them there?

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #5,081 of 11,286
I'll be in it... only have some modded HA-S500s, but they sound great! Will ship out after Saturday. (Bringing them to a meet.)

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #5,082 of 11,286
Quote:
Not quite related to the basshead topic, but to you guys making returns to V-Moda, I just wanted to ask of they refund shipping fees as well or not. I assume they don't cover shipping to them there?

If you're in the US just order from amazon. Stellar return policy. Make sure to order from amazon themselves tho, no 3rd party sellers. That's how I've demoed a lot of phones.

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #5,083 of 11,286
Quote:

If you are returning d/t buyer's remorse, they do not cover shipping, but if you run into any problems, they will ship you whatever you need and give you a shipping label which is very thoughtful.

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #5,085 of 11,286
Will the M-100 ever get the XL pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back