The Basshead Club
Feb 18, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #4,966 of 11,286
Quote:
Wow Oregonian, your a real bass head aren't you xD. Yea I hear great things about teh M Q-40... although I'm more of a Audiophile Head xD I like it all! Seductive mids, airy highs! Deep TIGHT bass, sloppy THUNDEROUS bass xD 

that being said, I like my Xb 700 [modded] and for sub bass NOTHING WILL EVER BEAT IT... you can all go SUCK IT [unless u have a Jvc HX-1000... tha tbeats bx700 but for +$900 <3]

Ehm sorry about that, still I like my Dt 880 250ohm with a little edm as well. That linear bass makes for some nice Eq and amping!

But sheesh, orego. U got quite a collection of bass cans xD. Makes me want the Q Audio :x 

Next up is the Mr Speakers Mad Dog w/Alpha pads.  Master headphone guru Malveaux has me convinced they are great all around cans and with EQing and amping can be monsters for bass while having all the other audiophile benefits like you mentioned.  I'm migrating towards better and better quality. 

That said, I love all the bass cans in their own way.  How did you modify the XB700's?  

The Q-40 are a clear step up from XB700's overall but can't quite match the sub bass of XB's.

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #4,967 of 11,286
Quote:

Next up is the Mr Speakers Mad Dog w/Alpha pads.  Master headphone guru Malveaux has me convinced they are great all around cans and with EQing and amping can be monsters for bass while having all the other audiophile benefits like you mentioned.  I'm migrating towards better and better quality. 

That said, I love all the bass cans in their own way.  How did you modify the XB700's?  

The Q-40 are a clear step up from XB700's overall but can't quite match the sub bass of XB's.

yea as I said b4, Tube amp +xb 700=epic. The mod was simple. There's was a film that was sufficateing the bass on the driver in the xb700. Remove that film and open the driver up= better quality, no more sibilant highs and a little more depth.

An yea the Mod Dog t50RP is a poor mans LCD2 <.<. Not sure I have $300 to drop into that right now e.e Trying to get a Dt 990 Pro first as I REALLY want that can :O. I love my dt 880 for bass even though it's the linear 250 ohm version... I can only imagine the hot tight bass sex that is the dt 990s :D

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #4,968 of 11,286
You get bass from your DT880's... They must be EQ'd to the max, are we talking HFI-550/780 type bass? I just can't see the 880's kicking out the same bass SPL...

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #4,969 of 11,286
Quote:
You get bass from your DT880's... They must be EQ'd to the max, are we talking HFI-550/780 type bass? I just can't see the 880's kicking out the same bass SPL...

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

No not at all, I use about +13 respectivly. My Indeed G3 has a hardware +8 boost to bass and I eq about +5 in foobar [eq dwn ofc]

An no not hfi 780 bass im sure...although I've never heard an ultrasone can so I can't relate... still i enjoy the boost I get... and... DMNIT I don't want to buy a NEW dt 990 and I want a ODAC q.q... but that to is EXPENSIVE grr.

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #4,970 of 11,286
I ordered the alpha dogs earlier today! :)

Feb 18, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #4,971 of 11,286
Quote:
I ordered the alpha dogs earlier today!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice, I'm still on the fence with gettins a DAC... I want the O Dac and I might get one  used for a nice deal... it all depends. And then there's the Dt 990s e.e I lost my CHEAP seller so I'm stuck having to look for a pair or go in new e.e.

I'd get spend happy if not for my stupid car needing so much work -.-... oh well I got a raise at work so in 2 weeks xD I might bit at some Alpha dogs my self

let us know how they are! Although... I'm not a big fan of closed cans that need a good bit of eq and amping [since I only really used closed cans on the go when I need isolation xD] 

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #4,972 of 11,286
Nice, I'm still on the fence with gettins a DAC... I want the O Dac and I might get one  used for a nice deal... it all depends. And then there's the Dt 990s e.e I lost my CHEAP seller so I'm stuck having to look for a pair or go in new e.e.

I'd get spend happy if not for my stupid car needing so much work -.-... oh well I got a raise at work so in 2 weeks xD I might bit at some Alpha dogs my self

let us know how they are! Although... I'm not a big fan of closed cans that need a good bit of eq and amping [since I only really used closed cans on the go when I need isolation xD] 
I'll let you guys know pretty soon, like around a week or two...

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #4,974 of 11,286
Quote:
why are people selling their m-100 already? theres people on ebay selling them for 200$???

No single headphone will appeal perfectly to everyone, no matter how "good" they are (I say "good" because when you think about it, what's really "good" sound, what's good to you might not be good to another person). Then there's both sonical aspects and ergonomical, durability, appearence aspects etc. and people prioritize differently.

In short, this hobby is very complex really when you truly start to dig into the audiological physiology as I call it which is such an overlooked aspect.

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #4,975 of 11,286
Uh...only one person is selling it at 205, and that's a bid with 3 days left. The cheapest I can find one is Amazon, which sells them used at around 255-$280.

Feb 20, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #4,979 of 11,286
Well guys, it looks like my next headphones are going to be the Audio Technica Pro 700MKII. I have the M Audio Q40's but they have now broke twice in a months time. First the left driver cut out so i sent them back and got a new pair, now after only after a week the right driver has blew on these new ones. I'm really pissed off right now. I absolutely love these headphones but I can't buy them again after this. So it's going to be 2 weeks without headphones until I can save for the Audio Technica's. :frowning2:

Feb 20, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #4,980 of 11,286
Not a bad choice on headphones. Just keep in mind that those headphones are pretty uncomfortable. It takes about two weeks for the headband to break in, and you need to get some better earpads for them because they are VERY uncomfortable paired with the tight clamping force. Since I can't really recommend the Beyer gel pads anymore (can't find any in stock except direct from Beyer for $52), the M50 pads or the DT250 pads are good alternatives. 

I don't know what type of amplification you have, but these headphones will need it in order to get the bass out, and they scale very well with equalizing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back