The Basshead Club
Feb 12, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #4,846 of 11,286
Quote:
I am just an ordinary music listner!!
what I need is a large quantity of bass
so shpuld I buy ath pro 700mk2 or Sony xb700??

Like what RPGWiZaRD said, the 2 sound very different.

The XB700 is more rumbly, has softer sounding bass, has greater bass quantity in both mid-bass and sub-bass, has longer decay in its bass presentation, and has better treble extension than the PRO700MK2.

The PRO700MK2 has faster and more punchy bass. Bass quantity is less than on the XB700, but they fare very well with amping. The PRO700MK2 is also a darker headphone than then XB700, and will require some attenuation of the high-end to get some treble sparkle to show up.

You really need to test both out, because you might prefer one over the other. Bear in mind though, if you want lots of bass, the PRO700MK2 might disappoint when auditioned stock (out of the box). They will shine when paired with a good bass boost amp (e.g. E11) and with EQ-ing.

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #4,847 of 11,286
Quote:
I would rather have Clean sound with good bass than muddy bass where I can't make out the words well. Is that the case with the XB700?

yea the Xb700 has [and mine is modded] some of the BEST SUB BASS EVER. I've had MANY ppl tell me the ONLY better can for sub bass is the Jvc HX-1000 [which cost about $700 now] so in terms of quality and quanity the Xb 700 is the best (combo of both) you can get [I think] . Obviously the xb 700 has pretty bad mids and the Highs are not to airy. But the Xb1000 is not worth the price. A $100 tube hybrid amp can make the xb700's sound better than the Xb1000 (stock)

But the Xb700 is clean, but a exagerated. In Edm the xb 700 has nice tigh sub bass. In Nu Jazz [or anything with more natrual bass] it sound rather bloated... but for Sub Bass I recommend getting the Xb700 as the Xb 1000 is not worth it imo... and well I don't think there is anything with MORE quanity  sub bass than the xb 700 sadly

That being said. I do prefer my Dt 880 (250) and some eq for Sub Bass :/ but every now and then I'm a sucker for some dirty xb 700 DIRTYNESS

Still I going to get myself a pair of Dt 770 Pro 80's just to compare the two... as I do want a less insane sub bass can for portable use. 

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #4,848 of 11,286
Quote:
yea the Xb700 has [and mine is modded] some of the BEST SUB BASS EVER. I've had MANY ppl tell me the ONLY better can for sub bass is the Jvc HX-1000 [which cost about $700 now] so in terms of quality and quanity the Xb 700 is the best (combo of both) you can get [I think] . Obviously the xb 700 has pretty bad mids and the Highs are not to airy. But the Xb1000 is not worth the price. A $100 tube hybrid amp can make the xb700's sound better than the Xb1000 (stock)

But the Xb700 is clean, but a exagerated. In Edm the xb 700 has nice tigh sub bass. In Nu Jazz [or anything with more natrual bass] it sound rather bloated... but for Sub Bass I recommend getting the Xb700 as the Xb 1000 is not worth it imo... and well I don't think there is anything with MORE quanity  sub bass than the xb 700 sadly

That being said. I do prefer my Dt 880 (250) and some eq for Sub Bass :/ but every now and then I'm a sucker for some dirty xb 700 DIRTYNESS

Still I going to get myself a pair of Dt 770 Pro 80's just to compare the two... as I do want a less insane sub bass can for portable use. 

What kind of mod did you do to the XB700's?  Never heard of them being modded so I'm curious since I have them as we'll as their cousins the XB500.  Do tell........

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #4,849 of 11,286
What would you guys recommend i do for the Q40s? I own an E7 and plan to upgrade. Should i got with a E17 (and sell E7) or get a Digizoid ZO 2 (double amp it to current E7?)?

Im sure i will eventually upgrade from the Q40s so im leaning towords E17 since it will be used for the potential purchase. Not sure what to do for best overall sound. 

Thanks.

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #4,850 of 11,286
Quote:
What would you guys recommend i do for the Q40s? I own an E5 and plan to upgrade. Should i got with a E17 (and sell E5) or get a Digizoid ZO 2 (double amp it to current E7?)?

Im sure i will eventually upgrade from the Q40s so im leaning towords E17 since it will be used for the potential purchase. Not sure what to do for best overall sound. 

Thanks.

My input - get the ZO and double amp before you even think about getting rid of the M-Audio Q40's.  

Make sure you use a LOD connector (MUST not use headphone out), put ZO on high gain, red contour (highest bass possible), leave the E-7 on flat bass EQ to start, and use E7 for volume control.  THEN you can start tweaking the E-7 bass if you need it.  You may not want or need to "upgrade" the Q40's, as they are some kind of wonderful headphone.  

Honestly, tho I have an E-7, I have only double amped using the E-11........now you have me thinking about trying that setup instead of my E-11 as first/pre-amp.  

More to come......

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #4,851 of 11,286
woops! I meant to say i have an E7 not e5. Let me know how that sounds. I dont plan on getting rid of Q40s but i was considering an amp like E17 that i can use with any future headphone purchases.
Quote:

My input - get the ZO and double amp before you even think about getting rid of the M-Audio Q40's.  

Make sure you use a LOD connector (MUST not use headphone out), put ZO on high gain, red contour (highest bass possible), leave the E-7 on flat bass EQ to start, and use E7 for volume control.  THEN you can start tweaking the E-7 bass if you need it.  You may not want or need to "upgrade" the Q40's, as they are some kind of wonderful headphone.  

Honestly, tho I have an E-7, I have only double amped using the E-11........now you have me thinking about trying that setup instead of my E-11 as first/pre-amp.  

More to come......

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #4,852 of 11,286
Quote:
woops! I meant to say i have an E7 not e5. Let me know how that sounds. I dont plan on getting rid of Q40s but i was considering an amp like E17 that i can use with any future headphone purchases.

If you consider yourself truly a bass head, the ZO is the ticket doubled up with another quality amp (Fiio E-7,11,17 or 12).  I believe they all would do a great job in concert with ZO as a bass head "must have". 

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #4,853 of 11,286
Will the sennheiser ie6/60 suitable for basshead nf how about the hd518

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #4,854 of 11,286
B
If the pricing matters when it comes to SQ? I'd say that in general it does, but as said, the link between price and SQ is a very weak one and probably a pretty bad way of categorizing headphones. 
[/quote

No you misinterpret me! What I meant is that the price next to the headphone model is just for reference, as in like Abc headphone is Midfi, it cost thirty dollars. not xyz is Midfi because it is thirty dollars. Eg. Beats pro's price is supposedly in the upper midrange but because of sq it's in the midrange section. Do you get me?

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #4,855 of 11,286
The W3 is more detailed than the SE215, and offers better extension in bass and treble, as well as having a less recessed midrange. However, both are bassy IEMs that deserve a try (especially the W3).

Since you live in Singapore, why don't you try visiting Stereo or Jaben to audition the cans that you are interested in. I believe they still have the D5000 in stock at Stereo?

I did that 3 times and i nearly paid for a pair of beats pro, phew! Close Call! Luckily they were out of black coloured ones cos resulting me to research further and find out the denon d2000s are comparable to the pros in bass quantity (Couldn't hear the rest of the diff becos I didn't want to buy the demo set.) Now, I am thing abt d5k vs d7k vs west.3 vs ie80 vs d600 vs d7100. I am pretty interested in the sig DJ and pro 500 Yamaha but they aren't available. The salesperson told me the m100 is a neutral headphones and the out of the box bass will go away but I would go back for another listen but I don't like its comfort anyway. I dun mind getting the d7k and d7.1k or sig DJ if their sound blow the d5k/d600 out of the water cos the price is kinda high even for a high end phones. Any other Bassy headphones (over or on ear) or iems to recommend. Because the list provided is kinda crap. The Amperior, dt880/990, momentum, TIESTO don't have bass. They don't qualify to be on the list IMO.

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #4,856 of 11,286
Now I'm feeling that the d7.1k is a little too expensive! 1.2k euros!!!! That's madness, in Singapore I think it wld be nearing 2k Singapore dollars. LoL it's my first set of proper cans!!! I am still thinking abt re d7k cos they are so gd looking IMO and is already out of production, but if the bass on them are less than the d5k, one word, OUT! Can anyone suggest headphones comparable with the d5k in terms of bass other than the phones mentioned in the post Abv thx!

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #4,857 of 11,286
Hmm... Checked out the FR for the d7ks, it has a more emphasized midrange and a bit lesser bass, doesn't sound like its word the extra money to me but who knows, the sound matters the most so I would rather be trusting my ears than computer generated FR graphs. Maybe I'd even giv the d7.1k a shot cos it's free to try in Stereo and I can audition anything, even up to the super high end edition 10 ultrasones but I gotta wait a while for headphones to be available even after its released. We ge new things here kinda slow

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #4,858 of 11,286
Quote:

What kind of mod did you do to the XB700's?  Never heard of them being modded so I'm curious since I have them as we'll as their cousins the XB500.  Do tell........

basically there is a white flim behind the driver. This film makes the treble sibilant and the bass a little bloated... DO NOT MOD THE XB 500, this mod is really only for the 700 and 1000. As the XB 500 NEEDS that white bloating bass flim, where as the xb 700 is better with out it! 

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #4,859 of 11,286
I was reading some reviews on the Denon D series and I came across this! The author, yklee118, a headfier mentioned that the beats pro's soundstage is comparable to the ultrasone edition line and is reference class. He also mentioned they require over 600 hours of burn-in to shine, i think that's why people who audition them did not know the cans are not fully burned-in causing like ALL headfiers go bashing them. Here's the link: http://yklee118.blogspot.sg/2012/12/the-monster-beats-pro-live-update-review.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back