The Basshead Club
Dec 17, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #3,767 of 11,286
Not really a fan of "brown" headphones. Also the Velodynes seem way bigger than the M100's. But if they sound good I guess that's what really matters.

I was almost sure to make the DT770-80 my next official basshead cans, but now I'm leaning more and more towards the M100. Hopefully by the time I decide to buy it the price has gone down a bit....at least $225-$250.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #3,769 of 11,286
Quote:
Not really a fan of "brown" headphones. Also the Velodynes seem way bigger than the M100's. But if they sound good I guess that's what really matters.

I was almost sure to make the DT770-80 my next official basshead cans, but now I'm leaning more and more towards the M100. Hopefully by the time I decide to buy it the price has gone down a bit....at least $225-$250.

IMO, M-100 is superior to VTrue and every Beyer I have heard.  In fact, the more headphones I audition, the more I appreciate how special the M-100 is.  Perfect sonic balance to my ears.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #3,770 of 11,286
The more I listen to these headphones, the more I like them. These headphones remind me of the LCD-2's that I've heard, especially in the midrange. 

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #3,772 of 11,286
Quote:
Received my Velodyne VTrue tonight!

First impressions out of the box (my first impressions usually don't change much after extensive evaluation)

Portability:  They are heavy and bulky, plus they do not fold.  My M-100 feels feather light after wearing the VTrue.  Their weight feels comparable to Beats Pro.  Build quality is top shelf- solid aluminum and plush leather.  Since they were fresh off the UPS truck, the thick metal was very cold.  I had to search for plastic on this headphone and it is only around the dual cable inputs.  Cables are high quality cloth and seem relatively tangle-free.  Despite size and weight, they are reasonably comfortable.  They are very cool looking in person and feel luxurious.  VTrue is driven reasonably well from my Iphone and responds well to amping.

Sound:  These are clearly basshead cans.  Bass rivals my M-100 in terms of quantity and quality, maybe even a little more punch with VTrue without being boomy.  Mids are detailed and are also comparable to M-100 and UE6000. Mids also seem more forward. Highs are noticeably rolled off compared to the M-100 and even slightly compared to the UE6000, but not as dark as something like the Aiaiai TMA-1 or some of the Pioneer DJ headphones.  I would say these are excellent sounding headphones, but I need more time with them to determine if they are for me.  I consider my M-100s to be my go-to, multi-genre audiophile headphone even though they have been categorized as basshead cans.  I am actually looking for a secondary quality basshead can and will see if these meet my needs over the next few weeks.   If you are looking for a basshead can with deep, tight bass, good midrange detail and don't mind rolled off highs, you may want to check them out.  If I had to compare them to another headphone sonically, I would say they are a classy, improved ATH-PRO700MK2.  These have a luxurious feel that you don't experience with synthetic materials and Velodyne didn't skimp on the build quality.

Thanks Craig, I was really interested in this.

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #3,777 of 11,286
Quote:
With the M50, are you saying you didn't like the sub-bass because you felt it was lacking or too much?

I listened one more time to the M50, i was fascinated ... Some songs really show its true bass power... And others just have sensed bass, maybe not ear punching bass but really beautiful and i call it really controlled. I will buying these for sure :) Thanks for the help Craigster !

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #3,778 of 11,286
Quote:
I listened one more time to the M50, i was fascinated ... Some songs really show its true bass power... And others just have sensed bass, maybe not ear punching bass but really beautiful and i call it really controlled. I will buying these for sure :) Thanks for the help Craigster !

They're a great set of entry level cans for sure. The M50 is a jack of all trades, master of none.

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #3,779 of 11,286
Quote:
If you like your treble to sound as pleasing as nails running down a chalkboard....

Thanks, I hear the XB 1000 is SLIGHTY better in the highs, although the highs are sibilant on the XB sadly
Quote:
All I can say about the PRO 900 is that it is the brightest headphone I ever heard, but not in a good way; in a harsh way.  You may also want to consider some Beyerdynamics in that price range if you prefer a brighter high end like the Ultrasones.  I have not heard the 780, but based on what I have read it may be a better choice.

hahah, with teh fickle S-logic and uber brightness... I see why ppl spend $300 to buy those... then another $xx +hours to mod out the terrible of it lol

Still hoping to grab a DT 990 soon! 

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #3,780 of 11,286
any particular reason why the audio technica a900x isnt on either lists of basshead cans? i ask because im looking at headphones to get in the (probably distant) future and these are pretty high on the list to consider, whereas they arent even mentioned in this thread... ive read reviews claiming these are 2nd only to the denon d2k for sub bass...is it because no one has tried them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back