The Basshead Club
Nov 19, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #3,301 of 11,286
Quote:
Think I have the final lineup for the shoot out now: M100, Philips Fidelio L1, Sennheiser Momentum, Skullcandy Aviator.
All are reported to have good bass with extension and impact but also controlled. Other desirable qualities for me, smooth but detailed mids and highs. In line remote is a must (which is a bit of a mark down for the M100 as the 3 button is extra). Must be easily drivable from iPhone 4s and iPad without amplification. Not too big but comfy and ideally good looking.
Just waiting for the M100 to be released over here and battle can commence. Any thoughts most welcome.

I have heard, owned or own all except the L1.  While the Aviator is a very good sounding headphone, I don't consider it a basshead can and consider them fairly neutral.  On bass alone, I would take the M-100 over Momentum as M-100 bass is much tighter, deeper, punchier and less intrusive in the mids.  As an added bonus, I prefer M-100 throughout the range.  I have heard the L1 is warmer/darker than the others.

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #3,302 of 11,286
Quote:
Hey guys, I thought as a unashamed basshead, I should introduce myself - a few of you will recognize me. My favorite bass phones are the MG6Pro CIEM. Truly remarkable. The only thing I've heard that gives the 250,000 watt, jarred-innards nighclub feel. 

I am currently in possession of ths Signature DJ, and they are a quite fine bass can. I was looking for something a little more bassy however, a larger departure form the Signature Pro that I already own. The SDJ does not fit a hole for me that I don't have covered. I can EQ my Sig Pro to sound like the SDJ, or even better. 

I am STILL on my quest for an over-ear bass can that gives me ear-tickling quality bass that punches like a pro-tuned nightclub. I tried the XB1000 and couldn't get past the smeared-together highs. The detail compared to the Pro 900 steered me away. I sold the Pro 900 twice trying to make THEM work, but the piercing highs ruined it every time.

Gonna just ask the experts. What is the official Basshead Club recommendation for ridiculous bass, while preserving quality, and mids/highs that work well without being piercing? And is able to put out some power!

Going to play with some EQ tonight to see how much more bass I can tease out.

These two sentences are going to save me $1,000 on the SDJ.  I think you will find the M-100 interesting based on your description of the SDJ.

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #3,303 of 11,286
Quote:
Sorry are you referring to the Beyer's Custom One's? If so why would 100mW = mega fail? 

I'm noob so an explaination would be much appreicated, thanks.

Yes I was referring to the Beyer Custom One's. I like the vent idea and it seems they are capable of some bass, but you're limited to what I consider a pretty low power rating. The sensitivity and impedance may help to make up for this, but if you are sending any sort of decent power to 100mW rated cans, especially with some bass boost on it, they are going to top out pretty quickly. I think the Sony XB stuff is rated at 2000-3500 mW depending on the model. I top out 1000mW all the time in bass tests. 100mW just isn't much power handling when you want to send 'em some raw power and jiggle your earwax. 

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #3,304 of 11,286
Quote:
These two sentences are going to save me $1,000 on the SDJ.  I think you will find the M-100 interesting based on your description of the SDJ.

Well, keep in mind that the SDJ is capable of quite a bit with EQ, and the bass is definitely more robust that SP without. But they are not pure raw bass power. It's a refined man's bass can. 

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #3,306 of 11,286
ha, well said! I sure wish I could hear the M-100. I'll probably be returning the SDJ in the next few days. 

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #3,308 of 11,286
Quote:
How do you like the Crossfade LP?

For my tastes I think I am going to have a hard time finding something I like better =). I listen to pretty much every form of EDM: Trance, Techno, Dubstep, DnB, Electro, House, etc. and their SQ is very bass heavy. Every once in a while when I am without an EQ I hear the dip in the mids but it doesn't affect me most of the time. I have heard the treble is also recessed but I guess I have a trained basshead ear because I can pick out through the bass. When I have an EQ, I actually boost the sub-bass just a tad and the mids as much as I do the subbass. After that they sound almost perfect to me! I crave just a little more detail but I don't do any production or DJing (yet :3).  If you want to feel your ears vibrate then you'll enjoy the crossfades but you notice their downfalls outside of EDM genres.

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #3,310 of 11,286
Quote:
Craigster, did you get your ZO yet?

I am hoping to receive as a holiday gift, so I am making due with my E11 which is no slouch in the bass department paired with the M-100 and will hold me over.  I am enjoying the new Rihanna CD.  I find the bass boosted nicely in her recordings.  Her style of music pairs perfectly with the M-100.

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #3,311 of 11,286
Think I have the final lineup for the shoot out now: M100, Philips Fidelio L1, Sennheiser Momentum, Skullcandy Aviator.
All are reported to have good bass with extension and impact but also controlled. Other desirable qualities for me, smooth but detailed mids and highs. In line remote is a must (which is a bit of a mark down for the M100 as the 3 button is extra). Must be easily drivable from iPhone 4s and iPad without amplification. Not too big but comfy and ideally good looking.
Just waiting for the M100 to be released over here and battle can commence. Any thoughts most welcome.

I have to disagree with the aviators. They have barely any bass

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #3,312 of 11,286
Quote:

Yes I was referring to the Beyer Custom One's. I like the vent idea and it seems they are capable of some bass, but you're limited to what I consider a pretty low power rating. The sensitivity and impedance may help to make up for this, but if you are sending any sort of decent power to 100mW rated cans, especially with some bass boost on it, they are going to top out pretty quickly. I think the Sony XB stuff is rated at 2000-3500 mW depending on the model. I top out 1000mW all the time in bass tests. 100mW just isn't much power handling when you want to send 'em some raw power and jiggle your earwax. 

ahhh I see. So, what would you suggest for a cheap Cyber Monday buy? I only listen to hiphop/RnB. I love my BASSSS but I also like clearity in the mids and highs.

Thanks SF

Anoob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back