The Basshead Club
Jul 10, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #2,253 of 11,286
Well fellow bassheads I need some advice. I have always wanted to get myself some sort of a portable headphone which I could take on the tube or well anywhere I go. I have searched this forum inside out but still can't make up my mind.
I need something reasonably portable, up to 120£, that has good isolation and rattles your head with the sort of bass that Atrio's do. I even prefer the overall sound (especially bass)  of my Atrio's over the sound of my PRO900's. In other words mid-bass does not interest me that much, sub-bass is what I am after.

My current options that I have considered:
Ultrasone HFI-580
M-Audio Q40
V-Moda M80

Any opinions and suggestions are welcome!

Jul 10, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #2,254 of 11,286
Quote:
Well fellow bassheads I need some advice. I have always wanted to get myself some sort of a portable headphone which I could take on the tube or well anywhere I go. I have searched this forum inside out but still can't make up my mind.
I need something reasonably portable, up to 120£, that has good isolation and rattles your head with the sort of bass that Atrio's do. I even prefer the overall sound (especially bass)  of my Atrio's over the sound of my PRO900's. In other words mid-bass does not interest me that much, sub-bass is what I am after.

Ultrasone HFI-580
M-Audio Q40
V-Moda M80

The HFI 580's do have a sub bass presence and just the fact that it's there but I don't have any of the headphones or tried any ATrio's or the Pro 900's or M80's or the Q40's so it won't be of much help. 

Word of advice: Look for people that have demo'd those cans or other cans! Very important. Just saying "my ______ have awesome sub bass" don't really mean much as it's always compared to what.

Jul 10, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #2,255 of 11,286
Well to be honest I have never tried any other IEM or headphone that could even touch the Atrio on it's sub-bass 
biggrin.gif
 there were people saying that the ATH-CKS77 would take the crown from the Atrio as the bass kings and that the sub-bass was almost the same between the two and these were the people who have owned both of these IEM's, so in the belief of that I did purchase the CKS77 as well. But to my big disappointment the CKS77 can't really touch Atrio in the sub-bass department (that's just my opinion)

Sooo the point is that even having auditioned or owned the same gear, people tend to sometimes have very different opinions.

Jul 10, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #2,256 of 11,286
Quote:
Well to be honest I have never tried any other IEM or headphone that could even touch the Atrio on it's sub-bass 
biggrin.gif
 there were people saying that the ATH-CKS77 would take the crown from the Atrio as the bass kings and that the sub-bass was almost the same between the two and these were the people who have owned both of these IEM's, so in the belief of that I did purchase the CKS77 as well. But to my big disappointment the CKS77 can't really touch Atrio in the sub-bass department (that's just my opinion)

Sooo the point is that even having auditioned or owned the same gear, people tend to sometimes have very different opinions.

There is that as well because people look for different parts in a headphone. When you say sub bass, they can be looking at any region or part or quality! Some may like it muddier and more pronounced while others like a tight one etc etc.

Jul 10, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #2,257 of 11,286
Don't get me started, the Aurisonics AS series has every model competing and beating the Atrio's. The AS-2's that I have absolutely rape my ears with subbass if you want it. It's always present, but a little bit of boost on the ZO2 and instant head shaking you cant help but let happen. You will not be able to stop your head from shaking. It's absolutely wonderful, especially since you wont get any distortion of the other frequencies. When going unamped with them and no EQ, you still have that deep sub bass that will surprise you if you don't expect it. It's basshead nirvana every day for me. Definitely check them out. I'll be coming out with my review in a few days. 
Quote:
biggrin.gif

EDIT: By rape my ears, I mean that their is so much sub bass yet so much amazing music still very clear and distinct. You'll be hearing vocals crystal clear when the bass comes in and you'll get instant chills down your spine and your heart will feel like you were kicked back by a giant sub. 

Jul 10, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #2,258 of 11,286
What can anyone recommend for sub bass oriented headphones under $300? I like the Pro 900s a lot, but, I need sub bass. I didn't know they were mid bass oriented until after buying them, so, depending on how they sound on the E17 which arrives tomorro, I may return them.
They were $300 and I don't mind spending it all again for quality . I really want the mids to clear and distinct and the treble to be relaxed. And lots of sub bass.

Jul 10, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #2,259 of 11,286
Quote:

Ultrasone HFI-580
M-Audio Q40
V-Moda M80

NO BRAINER- of the choices listed the M-Audio Q40, especially if you pair it with a FiiO E11.  The sub-bass will rattle your brain and the overall sound is quite good.  If you are open to expanding your list, maybe the V-Moda LP2 (going based on reviews since I have not heard them).

Jul 10, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #2,260 of 11,286
I am really leaning towards the Q40. The only thing that is bothering me now is how much do they really leak? Cause my GF is really sensitive to the sound of my headphones when she tries to go to sleep (my PRO900s leaked to much with velour pads) and I don't really want to disturb anyone while commuting plus I want to be isolated from the surroundings.
Any idea what is the synergy with the ZO2.3? Cause I forgot to update my sig since I have sold my E11. (I found the E11 paired a LOT better with PRO900s than the ZO).

Thanks!

kenman I am currently not looking at any IEM's but them Aurisonics look nice! How much did you pay for your pair if that is not a secret 
wink.gif
 The AS-1 seem really reasonably priced 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #2,261 of 11,286
Quote:
What can anyone recommend for sub bass oriented headphones under $300? I like the Pro 900s a lot, but, I need sub bass. I didn't know they were mid bass oriented until after buying them, so, depending on how they sound on the E17 which arrives tomorro, I may return them.
They were $300 and I don't mind spending it all again for quality . I really want the mids to clear and distinct and the treble to be relaxed. And lots of sub bass.

Really? I was actually just about to order the PRO900. Guess I'll have to search again.

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #2,262 of 11,286
Quote:
Really? I was actually just about to order the PRO900. Guess I'll have to search again.

The M-Audio Q40 is the best sub-bass oriented phones, and they're only $120. From all I've been told and read, the next step up (as far as bass is concerned) is the D5000/7000.
Don't get me wrong, the Pro 900s have bass, as I'm sure you've read. They have really good, deep, and impact-full bass. Just not earthquake sub-bass. And I don't think I'll be returning them to get the Q40s. I'm starting to see a noticeable difference in the SQ with 50ish hours into the burn-in and I'm really growing fond of them.
The sub bass doesn't just engulf you with vibrations like Q40s would, but you hear it very distinctly. I can't really describe it because it's different than any bass I've heard before. It's like, there's more depth, but less feel. There's still plenty of feel, but the Pro900s try and use the sound of the bass notes with the music instead of just using them for lots of sub bass. And I like the mid range a lot on the Pro900s. The highs have started to relax with the burn in and it's becoming wonderful to listen to. The frequency ranges just seem to fit together perfectly.

If you plan on using the phones for EDM (that's what I'm using them for), I suggest the Pro900s. I hope this helps.

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #2,264 of 11,286
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Atrios rumble like nothing else on earth. If you like games, start Skyrim and just listen to the dragon coming from the sky, I was shocked by the depth of the roar - it made my head vibrate and a big smile immediately appeared on my face. M-audio q40 are better in any other aspect and the subbas is thunderous too, but you must pair them with e11 or other amp.
 I agree that cks77 can't touch atrios in the sub-bass level- they are ligth years away, although I prefer them for listening any kind of music - punchy bass and more enjoyable overall sound. Just don't pair them with e11 - for me they are much better straight from my laptop. Which is a strange thing, cause the q40 benefit A LOT of it.

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #2,265 of 11,286
Quote:
I am really leaning towards the Q40. The only thing that is bothering me now is how much do they really leak? Cause my GF is really sensitive to the sound of my headphones when she tries to go to sleep (my PRO900s leaked to much with velour pads) and I don't really want to disturb anyone while commuting plus I want to be isolated from the surroundings.
Any idea what is the synergy with the ZO2.3? Cause I forgot to update my sig since I have sold my E11. (I found the E11 paired a LOT better with PRO900s than the ZO).

Thanks!

kenman I am currently not looking at any IEM's but them Aurisonics look nice! How much did you pay for your pair if that is not a secret 
wink.gif
 The AS-1 seem really reasonably priced 
rolleyes.gif

At high volume, they all leak, but the pleather cups give a good seal which is part of the reason the bass is so solid and would definitely provide a better seal than velour pads.  The Q40 should be able to handle whatever the Z02.3 can dish out, at least as much as any headphone even close to their price range (try J&R Music or B&H for the best price on these).  While their highs are by no means harsh, watch out for some sibilance on high female vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back