The Basshead Club
Jan 22, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #8,806 of 11,286
  oh snap :3 those x1'S looking sexeh! and open back like the dt 990's *drools* do they has the bass?

i believe they have a bit more bass than DT-990 (do sub-bass better i think), but not quite as much as DT-770 PRO 80.

see Mad Lust Envy's review of X1 here (i've quoted the bass section and te X1 vs DT990 section below):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/2055#post_9628284

Bass: The X1 is a rare breed of headphone, particularly in it's bass. There are very, very few headphones that can be this open, yet retain so much energy in it's bass which more closely resembles something coming out of a sealed design. It has a lot of growl and punch, but not overly so like most bass heavy, closed headphones. Open-backed headphones tend to roll off in the bass quite quickly, losing energy, impact, and are too quick to decay. The X1 is among the elite few dynamic headphones which does away with that stereotype. Other dynamics with potent bass would be the Sennheiser HD650 and Beyerdynamic DT990, and neither reach as low as the X1, nor fill up the virtual space in the same way. The X1 has a broader range in bass than the 650 or DT990, and fits somewhere between in decay and speed. The 650 is more neutral in it's bass, while the 990 is a bit stronger in the mid bass, but rolls off faster, not allowing it to reach the lower depths as well as the X1. Ultimately, the X1's bass is more fleshed out than the other two.

That being said, the bass can at times come off a bit undetailed and lacking in texture and layering. Perhaps even one-note-ish. To me, the X1's bass sounds like it was pre-boosted from a neutral headphone, and it sounds as if Philips pushed the X1's driver to it's limit in the bass, and adding any more would probably strain the drivers causing them to distort badly. This is just an assumption though, and overall, the presentation of bass on the X1 is among my favorites on any headphone. Just note that I feel that it can stand to be more textured, refined, and overall improved upon.
X1 Vs. DT990. If there was ever anything I wanted out of the DT990 to make them ideal for my personal taste, is that I wished they would have considerably less treble, more mids, and retain the same amount of bass and soundstage. The X1 is almost exactly what I have wanted for years when I asked for an improved DT990. They don't sound the same (obviously), but it's the closest thing to my vision of an improved and evolved DT990. Because of this, you can say the X1 has made the DT990 obsolete. The only people who should look into the DT990 over the X1 is those who can't afford the $250 or so dollars for the X1, and even then, the DT990 Pro is the only version that is noticeably cheaper. All of the 990s require quite a bit more amping than the X1, so in the end, you'd end up spending more for the 990 just to make them sound up to par with the X1, even when the X1 is unamped. That still doesn't get you past the edgy and polarizing treble.

in regard to your earlier question, it's the DT-770 PRO 80 ohms that you want, not the DT-770M (which is the drumming headphone, i believe, with more isolation). the pro 80 has the most bass of the DT-770 line.

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #8,807 of 11,286
  what kinda bass boost amp can i get cant be to expensive though XD and are the 770m 80ohms the same i see those for 173 on amazingzon so that leaves me with 51 bucks i can get a few bucks but not sure how many im still starting out i just need the bass and i play them off my laptop 

DT770/80 and Fiio E17/E07K are great combos!  I usually recommend the E07K to people who are just getting into this hobby! It's cheap, but doesn't feel cheap at all! Has 10 step bass and treble boost (+/- ~12db), gain 0 6 12db and functions as a DAC!

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #8,808 of 11,286
  ^+1! Join the DT770/80 club! With a proper bass-boost-amp you will NOT be disappointed!

I didn't like the DT770/80 at all, it was returned after 1 week. Too little midbass punch for my needs, it was just all rumble. Furthermore the mids were too recessed for my taste and the highs slightly metallic (not "harsh" bright but metallic somehow that didn't sound quite realistic to me :p). It also applied a big pressure on my cheek to the point I got fatigued as at least for me the velour pads on it was like suprisingly stiff so the pressure became very focused and not well distributed. I even preferred the 3x cheaper XB500 back then, the DT770 is certainly much clearer sounding but the signature just didn't fit my taste.

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #8,810 of 11,286
one thing i find about the DT-770 PRO 80 is that it can't handle high volumes very well...it's great at safe listening levels, but i find i can't jack the volume up as much as i might like. it distorts before approaching unsafe listening levels, a lot earlier than my other headphones (which can go to unsafe listening levels without distorting).

not sure if it's just my pair, or the combo with my gear...

edit: disregard this post. it doesn't appear to pair well with ZO2 (and clip zip), but works fine at high volumes with e17.

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #8,812 of 11,286
  one thing i find about the DT-770 PRO 80 is that it can't handle high volumes very well...it's great at safe listening levels, but i find i can't jack the volume up as much as i might like. it distorts before approaching unsafe listening levels, a lot earlier than my other headphones (which can go to unsafe listening levels without distorting).

I used to blare my 770 80 ohm. I only used a Fiio E6, but I kept that volume all the way up and my iPhone 5 volume all the way up, most of the time. I like my music loud, and I didn't have a problem with my pair distorting. I only used the Fiio on the normal amp setting, no bass boost and no treble boost. I only used the Rock EQ when I had my iPhone 5.

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #8,813 of 11,286
  I used to blare my 770 80 ohm. I only used a Fiio E6, but I kept that volume all the way up and my iPhone 5 volume all the way up, most of the time. I like my music loud, and I didn't have a problem with my pair distorting. I only used the Fiio on the normal amp setting, no bass boost and no treble boost. I only used the Rock EQ when I had my iPhone 5.

actually, i just hooked up my DT-770 (for the first time in a long time!) to my e17 to test them, and had no issues jacking the volume up. maybe it's just with the ZO2 that i found i couldn't jack the volume. will have to look into it.

so disregard my earlier comment!

sorry, i used to use my DT770 exclusively, but they've been sitting gathering dust for a while! (i had an IEM phase, and then bought a million other headphones when i went back to full-sized headphones!)

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #8,814 of 11,286

Something isn't right here. I use the DT770 for live mixing - and it gets unbelievably loud. It shouldn't be distorting, I think you should look into your signal chain. 

What gear are you using with it?

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #8,815 of 11,286
  I ordered a pair of ATH-M50s last week and just got around to opening them up today and doing the detachable cable mod to them. I only bought these to sell (I had some Amazon credit that I wanted in my PayPal account instead of stuck on Amazon).

While I had them opened up for the detachable cable mod, I put Dynamat on the inside of the cup and cut a hold in the foam padding that's normally against the back of the cup. I had thought about doing this the last time I had some M50's but ended up not doing it. It made the mids come out a little more, there is actually MORE Bass, and more treble. I did that mod to the left cup before I did it to the right cup to see if I could hear a difference, and to decide if I wanted to reverse it or not. I liked what I heard and did the right cup as well (obviously Haha). If anyone has some M50s I HIGHLY recommend you try this, keep the padding you cut out just in case you want to put it back.

These headphones are for sale here in our classifieds.
LINK: http://www.head-fi.org/t/701738/brand-new-ath-m50s-w-detachable-cable-mod-4-foot-straight-cable

Fantastic - I wonder how the mods are increasing the bass. Making the overall size of the driver enclosure smaller? Interesting! Nice find. I just sold off my M50s, otherwise I would have loved to try this..

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #8,816 of 11,286

Something isn't right here. I use the DT770 for live mixing - and it gets unbelievably loud. It shouldn't be distorting, I think you should look into your signal chain. 

What gear are you using with it?

yeah, i realise it was just with my ZO2 and clip zip that things went pear-shaped.

i remember now, i used to use my DT770 with e17 and ipod touch, and never had an issue. it's only after i stopped using them, and bought the ZO2 and other headphones that i would have gone back to the DT770 to quickly compare them against my new toys, and using the ZO2, found they couldn't handle the bass boost with high volumes. so that's what i was remembering, rather than the blissful times with the e17!

tl:dr - my memory sucks, please disregard! aha.

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #8,817 of 11,286

Fantastic - I wonder how the mods are increasing the bass. Making the overall size of the driver enclosure smaller? Interesting! Nice find. I just sold off my M50s, otherwise I would have loved to try this..

I think the smaller cup volume made the mids less recessed. I don't know how to describe the bass exactly. It just makes it sound...wider? That probably doesn't make sense, but if you could hear it, it would. 

I saw that you had yours up for sale when I had my red pair up for sale. You had Australia and I had the US. Well, actually I ended up shipping them to Israel.. Haha

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #8,818 of 11,286

yeah, Fidelio X1. deal is still on, if you're keen:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B3QD94O

Wow, that's quite a deal! When I saw you were in Australia I thought at first it was just down-under Amazon deal but it's US! Hmmm....

Philips seems to have several deals going on Amazon. I just ordered some Philips CitiScape Downtown for $30 for the kid after hearing another Headfier's pair. Lots of bass for an on-hear. Reminded me of the good ole Senn 414 from my childhood. http://amzn.com/B0079R2NVQ

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #8,820 of 11,286
Great deal on the X1. Imo its the only open headphone that qualify as a basshead headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back