The Basshead Club
Jan 14, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #8,686 of 11,286
I think they're the same, but with different Numbers for different regions or colors or so. I'm not sure though, I think Sony is a little secretive with such matters. For instance, some say the xb 800 and 900 are the same while others seem to consider the 900 as an upgrade.

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #8,688 of 11,286
The 910 certainly has to be an upgraded version of XB800/900 then as those sounded just very poor to my ears, no midrange refinement whatsoever, recessed and lifeless with poor resolution. Bass had poor texture and quality, quite muddy but pounded VERY hard, ie. huge midbass especially (you know the kind of impact of drums) but clouded the already recessed mids significantly. The highs were also thin, artificial sounding (a too "crispy/raspy" sharp signature) and the soundstaging was nothing to write home about. The only thing I was impressed with was the sheer amount bass impact/punch and that they isolated very nicely despite the weird on-ear design.

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #8,690 of 11,286
  Went out on a limb and snagged up some htf-600's the other day. All I have to say is damn... These things are bad ass especially for $30 shipped. Already in love with them. I haven't wanted to touch my tma-1 studios since I got these things they feel a little cheap in the build quality department but for the price I'm in love with the bass lol now lets see how long that lasts before I snag some q40's with alpha pads or some 700mk2's. 

These are awesome for the price. I'm actually a fan. Shoddy build quality but very good sounding actually. Too bad they leak too much.
If anyone in the US want to have one, I can provide my used one (including the original box, etc.) just for the cost of shipping ($12 to $15 USPS flat-rate.)

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #8,691 of 11,286
I find my XB1000 awesome for House, Dubstep, Drum & Bass etc. The bass is a bit overpowering for Trance and lighter EDM, for that I prefer the DT990 Pro or my Yamaha EPH-100. XB Cans aren't called that for nothing.

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #8,692 of 11,286
Ya looking for some cans to pair up with some DubStep. Looks like I might need to try out the xb920 as there are no xb910s in my area. Thanks.

I think the 910s are our X10 (X-Factor branded) headphones.
Tried those and didn't like them actually... so maybe they are indeed different...

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #8,693 of 11,286
  The 910 certainly has to be an upgraded version of XB800/900 then as those sounded just very poor to my ears, no midrange refinement whatsoever, recessed and lifeless with poor resolution. Bass had poor texture and quality, quite muddy but pounded VERY hard, ie. huge midbass especially (you know the kind of impact of drums) but clouded the already recessed mids significantly. The highs were also thin, artificial sounding (a too "crispy/raspy" sharp signature) and the soundstaging was nothing to write home about. The only thing I was impressed with was the sheer amount bass impact/punch and that they isolated very nicely despite the weird on-ear design.

This is what I mostly remember from the X10 (X-Factor) red ones... I wasn't impressed at all, but heck, I only tried them for like 20 minutes, so who knows. Might have to check one of those 910s out of the UK (they look better than the X10s anyways! LOL!)

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #8,694 of 11,286
Im surprised the 910 would even be comparable to the likes of a d2000 and pro900....

Concerning SQ, I'm sure an audiophile would choose the D2000 over either of the other two because it's more refined. The Pro 900 isn't bad, but it isn't really all that good either. It is quite frankly, in my opinion, overrated.

However, the difference between the likes of D2000 and Pro 900, and the likes of the XB line, is not exactly night and day to me. The step from cheap headphones to $150 ones is much bigger than the step from the XB-910 to D2000 and Pro 900.

I'll try comparing them a bit more though: The D2000 is most "neutral" of the bunch, the Pro 900 the most V-shaped (yeah that dip in the mids is significant) and the XB-910 is the bassiest, by quite a margin. I don't perceive the mids of the XB-910 as especially recessed, nor do I perceive the treble as especially bad. For instance, the XB-500 is much more recessed when it comes to the mids and the treble (really, it's almost just bass), and the Pro 900 is much more recessed in the mids (really, it's basically just bass and treble). The XB-910 has the smallest soundstage of them and the D2000 the biggest (the Pro 900 is weird in this regard, sometimes it feels 3D and sometimes it just sounds very, very, very bad, depending on record etc.), but the XB-910 has a bigger soundstage than for instance M50 or HD25-1 (to give you an idea), comparable to the soundstage of the CAL! The amount of detail is greater on both D2000 and the Pro 900, but since Pro 900 has a piercingly sharp treble it's hard to tell what's detail and what's just a result of that. I don't find the lack of details that big of a deal, but as with everything in this hobby, YMMV.

In my honest opinion, it's a great headphone. I do think it's MSRP of $299 is ridiculous (speaking of MSRPs, yeah Ultrasone, I'm looking at you), I do think most people would favorably choose the D2000 over it and I think they'd make the right choice. That being said, I like it a lot more than the Pro 900 because the only thing I enjoyed more on the Pro 900 is the sharp treble, but other than that the XB-910 is exactly how I want my trap and hiphop delivered (that's what I bought them for in the first place). For everything else I have the D2000 and for commuting the X10.

Jan 14, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #8,695 of 11,286
  Concerning SQ, I'm sure an audiophile would choose the D2000 over either of the other two because it's more refined. The Pro 900 isn't bad, but it isn't really all that good either. It is quite frankly, in my opinion, overrated.

However, the difference between the likes of D2000 and Pro 900, and the likes of the XB line, is not exactly night and day to me. The step from cheap headphones to $150 ones is much bigger than the step from the XB-910 to D2000 and Pro 900.

I'll try comparing them a bit more though: The D2000 is most "neutral" of the bunch, the Pro 900 the most V-shaped (yeah that dip in the mids is significant) and the XB-910 is the bassiest, by quite a margin. I don't perceive the mids of the XB-910 as especially recessed, nor do I perceive the treble as especially bad. For instance, the XB-500 is much more recessed when it comes to the mids and the treble (really, it's almost just bass), and the Pro 900 is much more recessed in the mids (really, it's basically just bass and treble). The XB-910 has the smallest soundstage of them and the D2000 the biggest (the Pro 900 is weird in this regard, sometimes it feels 3D and sometimes it just sounds very, very, very bad, depending on record etc.), but the XB-910 has a bigger soundstage than for instance M50 or HD25-1 (to give you an idea), comparable to the soundstage of the CAL! The amount of detail is greater on both D2000 and the Pro 900, but since Pro 900 has a piercingly sharp treble it's hard to tell what's detail and what's just a result of that. I don't find the lack of details that big of a deal, but as with everything in this hobby, YMMV.

In my honest opinion, it's a great headphone. I do think it's MSRP of $299 is ridiculous (speaking of MSRPs, yeah Ultrasone, I'm looking at you), I do think most people would favorably choose the D2000 over it and I think they'd make the right choice. That being said, I like it a lot more than the Pro 900 because the only thing I enjoyed more on the Pro 900 is the sharp treble, but other than that the XB-910 is exactly how I want my trap and hiphop delivered (that's what I bought them for in the first place). For everything else I have the D2000 and for commuting the X10.

I have an aversion to "on ear" headphones but may go to Best Buy to give these a listen.  You make a good Sony salesman. 

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #8,696 of 11,286
I have an aversion to "on ear" headphones but may go to Best Buy to give these a listen.  You make a good Sony salesman. 

Agreed haha. I have tried the xb600's before and they were basically a replica of the xb500's.

They had much better isolation though (better at keeping noise in and slightly better at keeping noise out) and the comfort was actually very impressive for the on ear design.
Not nearly as good as the xb500's though xD

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #8,697 of 11,286
Agreed haha. I have tried the xb600's before and they were basically a replica of the xb500's.

They had much better isolation though (better at keeping noise in and slightly better at keeping noise out) and the comfort was actually very impressive for the on ear design.
Not nearly as good as the xb500's though xD

I own a pair and I love them, these things are magic when it comes to isolation! Plus it is definitely comfy.

Only thing that tickles me now is : will my damned retards C300 which can't take really more than a month to come at home (I mean OK I import them but, really I hope that the waiting will be worth the ****) sound better than them or not!

Need my thunder bass ASAP gosh!

Jan 15, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #8,698 of 11,286

I have quite honestly a hard time understanding why Sony would go supra aural with these instead of circum aural. It makes little sense to me, as the XB line has been associated with big, comfy pads and a pillow like experience. It's almost as if people were meant to be responding "Yeah I know but it's for the bass, you know" and get away with it, when people ask why they use so "big headphones". As if such bass isn't possible without big pads (of course, I'm not an engineer, I don't know if it is). But Sony did go supra aural with it. That being said, the headphones aren't small, nor are they especially uncomfy. The pad that sits right on your ear is very soft and big and it don't take long to get used to it.

As for being a good salesman, nah, I'm just giving my opinions of them in a sea filled with other opinions. You're definitely not supposed to take it as a recommendation. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't go recommending these left and right on head-fi as if they were giant killers. They aren't and I keep saying that most enthusiasts would favorably choose the D2000 (or other headphones) over these. That being said, I don't think they're nearly as bad as people are saying. I think they sound good, I don't hear a lot of their "supposed shortcomings" and I'm quite happy with them.

I'm eagerly expecting the Nuforce headphones to reach me today.

Jan 15, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #8,699 of 11,286
I received my Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros in today and was not to impressed with the bass. Actually my HD800 has a tad more bass in the mid-bass region up to a certain volume before the DT990 starts distorting. And any lower tones, the 990 fades out while the HD800 keeps on trucking as it goes much much deeper and while maintaining its impact. Largest bass response I have found so far is my IE80s and im looking for headphones to come close to its impact. Probably due to the perfect seal. My HD800 suits 80% of my music needs, but genres where bass is the main concern(mostly dubstep) I need something else. Need some bass cannons! Next i have incoming are the Sony XB500s. And my to audition list is: XB910, US 900 pro, Dennon D5000/7000. Im trying to pay primary attention to bass response only, and not mids & highs. But its going to be hard comparing any lower-end HPs when coming from a HD800 though.

Edit: Ok Fostex TH-900 just got added to my list as I have heard they have the hardest slam out of any HPs, but damn they are pricey! Sorry about my wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back