The Basshead Club
Jun 13, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #6,586 of 11,286
Quote:
Hey Craigster, at one point I remember you saying that the D600 were your favourite phones (this was before the Signature DJ, obviously). But you seem to have changed your mind about them. What was your final verdict between them and the M-100?

I don't ever recall  being quite that enthusiatic about the D600 since I returned them (there may be an enthusiastic early post out there that says otherwise), but I did think they were a good headphone with excellent resolution and detail retrieval.  I thought their highs were just a bit bright and the lows lacked depth and punch.  I consider the M-100 superior in terms of perfectly matching my taste in sound.  M-100 highs don't extend quite as far, but I prefer their smoothness.  IMO, M-100 really dominates the D600 with punch and depth on the low end.  While I could hear the bass of the D600, I couldn't feel it the way I can with the M-100.  D600 might have a slight edge in midrange presentation, but M-100 is excellent there as well.

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #6,587 of 11,286
Quote:
What about quality and tightness? Also, what about their mids and highs and instrument separation?

I prefer the overall sound of the HP800 to the Q40, but they are close.  Mids from memory are comparable.  I prefer the highs on the HP800 as I found the Q40 excessively sibilant, but I seem to be in the minority in that regard.  Both have big bass.  HP800 has even bigger bass than the Q40 which is great for bassheads, but Q40 is more versatile.  The Achilles heel of the HP800 is that it distorts at moderately high listening levels where the Q40 can be driven quite loud.

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #6,588 of 11,286
I don't ever recall  being quite that enthusiatic about the D600 since I returned them (there may be an enthusiastic early post out there that says otherwise), but I did think they were a good headphone with excellent resolution and detail retrieval.  I thought their highs were just a bit bright and the lows lacked depth and punch.  I consider the M-100 superior in terms of perfectly matching my taste in sound.  M-100 highs don't extend quite as far, but I prefer their smoothness.  IMO, M-100 really dominates the D600 with punch and depth on the low end.  While I could hear the bass of the D600, I couldn't feel it the way I can with the M-100.  D600 might have a slight edge in midrange presentation, but M-100 is excellent there as well.

You obviously had a change of heart somewhere along the line lol http://www.head-fi.org/t/620938/new-denon-music-maniac-urban-raver-lines-d7100-d600-d400-c300-appreciation-thread/540#post_8634721

Jun 14, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #6,589 of 11,286
Quote:

You obviously had a change of heart somewhere along the line lolhttp://www.head-fi.org/t/620938/new-denon-music-maniac-urban-raver-lines-d7100-d600-d400-c300-appreciation-thread/540#post_8634721

LOL- you got me!  In all fairness, it was an early impression and I did pull back a bit after post #551 on that thread.  The real trick is staying power and I stand by my glowing recommendations over the past several months for the M-100 and Sig DJ as the overall best sounding basshead cans in their price ranges.  As a reminder, neither of those were on the market at the time of my D600 comments.  I have heard nothing since that is their equal.

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #6,590 of 11,286
I am in love with the M-100's sound signature. So smooth yet so clean. :D Never heard the D600, but I've heard the D400 urban raver, which is surprisingly underwheling when it comes to fidelity, pretty much a pair of Beats Studio. 

Jun 15, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #6,591 of 11,286
 With the exception of the Sony XB series and the Crossfade LP series and Beats Pro, I find the overwhelming majority of this list a sham. Excellent sounding cans yes, but basshead? I find that laughable. 

Jun 15, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #6,592 of 11,286
You can't make list of 10dB+ bass quantity packing headphones only IMO as there's so few. For me I draw the line at roughly +5dB boost or so before I start call it basshead, would 5dB satisfy me? Probably not but I'd still see it as a basshead can. I find it laughable that you require that extreme amount of bass before you call it basshead. There are also different kinds of bassheads, those who prefer quality bass over quantity bass. Should we just take your own opinion of quantity of bass is the only thing that defines a basshead headphone as truth? :p 

There you got something to think of.

Jun 15, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #6,593 of 11,286
Quote:
You can't make list of 10dB+ bass quantity packing headphones only IMO as there's so few. For me I draw the line at roughly +5dB boost or so before I start call it basshead, would 5dB satisfy me? Probably not but I'd still see it as a basshead can. I find it laughable that you require that extreme amount of bass before you call it basshead. There are also different kinds of bassheads, those who prefer quality bass over quantity bass. Should we just take your own opinion of quantity of bass is the only thing that defines a basshead headphone as truth? :p 

There you got something to think of.

Ummm, it seems every single "basshead" on this site has their "own opinion" of what great bass is supposed to sound like. But that's just it, 
it's their opinion. I'm saying there are a lot of bassheads that will come to this site, buy a pair of cans on that list, and come away disappointed. 

I didn't say 10db+. And frequency range doesn't tell the whole story. For one, don't put open cans on this list and leave Studio Beats off. That's not objective and you know it. And it doesn't matter if there's so few. Stick with those so that we have an accurate database. Don't add headphones just because they're quality cans. On a "basshead" list there should only be basshead cans. 

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #6,594 of 11,286
Okay guys (and gals?), I have a funny story to tell here.

A while back, I switched the music player on my iPhone to mono mode (don't ask why, I forget). Anyway, today I found myself diving thought the settings trying to turn down the brightness when I was at 10% battery. Suddenly, I realize that I have been listening in mono for the past ~2 months without knowing it (I do nearly 100% of my listening on my phone). SWEET MOTHER OF JESUS. That experience was better than when I went from the RPHTX7 to the M80. :)

Jun 16, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #6,595 of 11,286
Quote:
Okay guys (and gals?), I have a funny story to tell here.

A while back, I switched the music player on my iPhone to mono mode (don't ask why, I forget). Anyway, today I found myself diving thought the settings trying to turn down the brightness when I was at 10% battery. Suddenly, I realize that I have been listening in mono for the past ~2 months without knowing it (I do nearly 100% of my listening on my phone). SWEET MOTHER OF JESUS. That experience was better than when I went from the RPHTX7 to the M80.
smily_headphones1.gif

So I'm taking you liked the mono?

Try using some amps with crossfeed. Varoius Leckerton UHA's and the FiiO E12 have a pre set crossfeed on them. 

Jun 16, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #6,596 of 11,286
Quote:
Ummm, it seems every single "basshead" on this site has their "own opinion" of what great bass is supposed to sound like. But that's just it, 
it's their opinion. I'm saying there are a lot of bassheads that will come to this site, buy a pair of cans on that list, and come away disappointed. 

I didn't say 10db+. And frequency range doesn't tell the whole story. For one, don't put open cans on this list and leave Studio Beats off. That's not objective and you know it. And it doesn't matter if there's so few. Stick with those so that we have an accurate database. Don't add headphones just because they're quality cans. On a "basshead" list there should only be basshead cans. 

Stop saying bass quantity is the only thing that defines a basshead can. Your opinion is not worth anymore than rest of head-fi's basshead's opinions, there's no objective definition of term "basshead". It's like you said opinion, and you have your opinion which weighs just as much as every1 elses opinion.

What about the people that likes bass like me, I would sell the headphone if it hadn't enough amount bass for my taste even if the mids and highs sounded godlike but I'd also sell a headphone that has gobs of bass with little quality behind it. So should we ignore these people? Sorry that just makes you look like a self-centered person. 

Measurements is the only thing one can objectively go by to determine accurately if it qualifies or not, some people may want +10dB before they classify as basshead cans others might be fine with +5dB. The important thing is to come to an agreement where to draw the line of where it qualifies as a basshead can. That or there could be made several categories (Extreme Basshead, Basshead with Quality and Entry-lvl Basshead"  where the headphones would be classified after the amount bass they pack so that people that crave that extreme amount bass can pick among those only.

Extreme Basshead:
-----------------------------

Beats Studios
V-Moda LP1, LP2
Sony XB500, XB700, XB800

Basshead with quality:
---------------------------------

V-Moda M100
Sony XB1000
M-Audio Q40
Ultrasone PRO900, Signature DJs
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro
JVC HA-RX500

Entry-lvl Basshead:
------------------------------

V-Moda M80
Audio Technica M50
JVC HA-RX400
Hifiman HE-400
Philips Fidelio X1

etc.

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #6,597 of 11,286
Quote:

Your opinion is not worth anymore than rest of head-fi's basshead's opinions, there's no objective definition of term "basshead". It's like you said opinion, and you have your opinion which weighs just as much as every1 elses opinion.

Measurements is the only thing one can objectively go by to determine accurately if it qualifies or not, some people may want +10dB before they classify as basshead cans others might be fine with +5dB. The important thing is to come to an agreement where to draw the line of where it qualifies as a basshead can.

No, my opinion means much less than anyone else's. But if you look objectively you'll see that I'm asking objective questions. 

1st, Beats Studios have more bass than Beats Pro. I have done extensive listening tests with these 2 cans with both consumers and music professionals and the overwhelming consensus was that Beats Studios have more bass than Beats Pro. There is no excuse for leaving Studio Beats off this list, thus making the list subjective and not objective. 

And measurements are not the only way of determining whether a headphone qualifies as basshead or not, and I'll prove this before August. 

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #6,598 of 11,286
Quote:

1st, Beats Studios have more bass than Beats Pro. I have done extensive listening tests with these 2 cans with both consumers and music professionals and the overwhelming consensus was that Beats Studios have more bass than Beats Pro. There is no excuse for leaving Studio Beats off this list, thus making the list subjective and not objective. 

Beats Studios is certainly bassier than PROs that I'm sure every1 agrees upon but Beats Studios is how I understood it reading a few posts about it out because the community like head-fi doesn't want to advertise overpriced headphones with poor quality, basicly you pay $249 for roughly $50 worth sound quality. I think in that sense, leaving it off the list is justified. If we don't agree upon this site as being a guide to better audio quality alternatives then I can see why it bothers you but yea that's the reasoning behind leaving off the list as if I speak for myself I don't want to advertise such headphones in any way as I don't want the headphone business move towards such trend where headphone manufacturers starts pricing headphone after "brand image" and lead to worse sound quality vs price ratios. At least the PROs have slightly better sound quality / price ratio, not much but yea Studios are probably the headphones with the worst sound quality vs price performance ratio and is endorsed rapper cans that sells based on brand image. Why pay $250 when you can buy a pair of XB500 for like 50-$80 that has at least the same amount bass with slightly better quality even.

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #6,599 of 11,286
 But what exactly constitutes overpriced? Why Beats and not Stax? Audeze.........Ultrasone.......V-Moda.....Sennheiser? I know at least 20 Beats Studio owners that will swear on their mothers graves that Beats are the best sounding headphones in the world............I've pressed a few members on this site about their hatred for Beats and had some admit they've never actually heard them........Is that objective?

I've developed a system for evaluating headphones that hopefully solves the problem of internet urban legend and it will be here by August. The 1st testing is going to be done this week. I was speaking with a headphone amp manufacturer that got banned from this site because of what he perceived as a lack of objectivity and that inspired my testing method. 

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #6,600 of 11,286
Quote:
 But what exactly constitutes overpriced? Why Beats and not Stax? Audeze.........Ultrasone.......V-Moda.....Sennheiser? I know at least 20 Beats Studio owners that will swear on their mothers graves that Beats are the best sounding headphones in the world............I've pressed a few members on this site about their hatred for Beats and had some admit they've never actually heard them........Is that objective?

Well Beats Studios are so popular I base my feedback on several user feedback (3x -> XB500 Sony cases and 1x JVC RX500 swap) which swapped from Studios to XB500 or JVC HA-RX500, both cost around $50 and thought they got an upgrade in sound quality. That doesn't mean all headphones these manufacturers makes are bad but Beats Solos, Studios and PROs have bad sound quality for price but Diamond Tears and Monster N-Credible looks to be actually great performers at their price point (this by other "audiophiles" opinions, Jude the owner of the site really thought the Diamond Tears sounded great and the latest N-Credible headphones has gotten really great reviews (also by audiophiles, read about 4 reviews by people that are obsessed with sound quality not just bass quantity regarding those). 

So yea it's really down how to they perform against other headphone products, if other headphone products in the same category performs similarly and perform better than the lower-cost headphones, then the price is justified. Then we have the usual problem about highend headphones deliver less bang-for-buck but if they still perform better than the lower-cost headphones then it's justified. These are marketed against audiophiles and those generally spend more for smaller amounts of sound quality boosts. What can be seen as a 10% upgrade to a mainstream consumer may be like 50% for a audiophile. So swapping around headphones of different prices will eventually lead you to a "percieved sound quality for price paid". The more headphones tested the more accurate it gets. Then we need to have many people doing similar tests to rule out personal preferences etc what forums are about, to find these kinds of user input in order to establish some kind of objective truth from all these subjective user experiences (the average out of all subjective user experiences would be the closest to objective truth one can get).

Also furthermore I can also known other brands have sold overpriced headphones, V-Moda LP1 debuted at $199 which is way overpriced, today they are like $75 so they have adjusted price with time to their deserved price points. The same can be said about Denon's D1100 which debuted at around $200 which I've also tried and concidered it way overprice but is like $100 today... Beats Studios however live on their brand image, other manufacturers live on their sound quality and adjust prices thereafter if Beats headphones lost the brand image you could expect lower pricing too but as long as the kids on the streets hype it to no end, why should they adjust the price when they sell them anyway? Other manufacturers however doesn't have that premium. If the people weren't so ignorant and actually tested stuff judging with their own senses and wouldn't go after "cool-factor" or cuz the mates thinks so or whatever it would look entirely different. Beats ride on fame of the youth's ignorance & group pressure and the brand image that dwelved from there, that's why they are able to sell the headphones with such a high price tag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back