The Basshead Club
Jun 7, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #6,541 of 11,286
Super neat! Is cMoy short for basically any amp built out of a tin? Because i've been looking at those. Especially the ones on the sub $100 amp shootout.

Honestly I'm not going to be walking down the street with my headphones, or riding a bike or on the bus or anything. I really only need the amp to be transportable so I can bring it with me on campus for studying.

The isolation on these Q40s is actually pretty amazing. Was blasting some dub next to someone who was asleep and it never bothered them. Not like my XB500s anyways lol. So these are really perfect for a library setting.

I guess another important question is if the difference in quality between sub $100 and sub $200 amps are worth the cost? At what point does diminishing returns kick in?

Jun 7, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #6,542 of 11,286
i dont know anything about the q40s, ive never heard a pair. anyhoo, the O2 is easily transportable in a backpack or such, and will give you about 8 hours of power off one charge. the cmoy i got from jds labs lasts for much longer, but i didnt get the rechargeable version, i just got rechargeable batteries and a charger... oh and cmoy amps are named after the guy who designed them Chu Moy. cMoy BB amps are available from many sellers and distributors. by no means is every DIY amp a cmoy. its mostly to do with the board if im not mistaken. 
you may want to take a look at these following threads:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-10-1-amps-compared
http://www.head-fi.org/t/620775/the-sub-200-portable-amps-shootout-12-10-amps-compared

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #6,543 of 11,286
Yep i've been reading over those threads for the past few days. I dunno still leaning towards the O2 as something i wont have to upgrade for a long time. But ive been checking prices on amazon and e-bay and such. And for just 50 bucks more, and a little less portability... The only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger is it doesnt have a bass boost i dont think.

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #6,544 of 11,286
I'd say C&C BH is a great starter amp with lots of features (2 gain levels, 2 different outputs with slightly different sound signature to it, bass boost and soundstage switch), it's not concidered equally good as say as O2 or C5 sound quality wise which are exceptional cases when it comes to SQ for price paid in a headphone amp but C&C BH is also very great/among the best at the price range and it's feature loaded and 80 hrs batterylife... it's hard to not be pleased with this amp.

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #6,545 of 11,286
Quote:
Yep i've been reading over those threads for the past few days. I dunno still leaning towards the O2 as something i wont have to upgrade for a long time. But ive been checking prices on amazon and e-bay and such. And for just 50 bucks more, and a little less portability... The only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger is it doesnt have a bass boost i dont think.

Since the O2 is rather large you might like the C5 better and it has a Bass Boost...
http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=70
beerchug.gif

Jun 7, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #6,546 of 11,286
I'd like to but its out of my price and guilt free range >.>. Lol
But dont think I havent got my eye on it :p

Also, whats the deal with these vacuum tube amps I've been seeing. Arent tubes a little outdated?

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #6,547 of 11,286
I got the fiio e11 with my XB600s and don't get me wrong, it does add bass. But I find myself craving for more, might have something to do with what I'm listening too. Mostly Eminem right now with rock. Might be looking into getting a Z02 down the line

Jun 7, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #6,548 of 11,286
Red on the ZO does NOT mean high gain, only the highest bass level.  The ZO on high gain is light violet if I remember right.  When you see the ZO on red, push the switch in ONCE and it will change color.  If it's blue, it's on low gain.  If you hold it either forward or backward (sorry don't have one in front of me) for a few seconds it will turn light violet - THEN it is on high gain. 

Good catch. Its been a few months since I read my manual.

I got the fiio e11 with my XB600s and don't get me wrong, it does add bass. But I find myself craving for more, might have something to do with what I'm listening too. Mostly Eminem right now with rock. Might be looking into getting a Z02 down the line

I was in the exact same situation. I DJ and listen to a TON of electronic music. I have a job where I can listen to music the majority of the day... I was wanting more bass from the e11. After the recommendations on here I paired it with the Z02 and WOW... If you really like your bass then thats whers its at for a beginer/intermediate setup in my opinion.

Jun 7, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #6,550 of 11,286
Quote:
I think the Digizoid is my next investment, anyone on here selling one and located in Canada? Preferably in Ottawa. But if this combination gives me what I'm looking for in sound I might hold off on my V-modas.

If you decide that you don't want to carry two devices around (E11 + ZO2), you can try the E07K.  It has 3 more levels bass boost over the E11

Jun 7, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #6,551 of 11,286
I don't think I will mind carrying them around, I've already got the e11 velcroed to the back of my iPod. So I'd more then likely strap the Z02 to the back of the e11. I haven't done an extensive size comparison but they look roughly the same size.

Jun 7, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #6,553 of 11,286
Quote:
Try telling that to malevolent 
biggrin.gif

Or my wife.
biggrin.gif
 Despite my *ahem* promise of not buying another can for the next 3 months (into my 1st month at the moment), I fear the dark side is too much to resist. MUST. CONTROL. 
ph34r.gif

Jun 7, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #6,554 of 11,286
Quote:
How's bass when comparing speakers, full size and customs?

Hey myap, I was at Tampines 1 earlier, and the headphone shop on the 4th floor is selling most of the Ultrasone range of cans - including the Sig Pro and Sig DJ. Quite impressive to be finding these cans in Tampines of all places. The Sig DJ is going for about S$1,400 (~$1,150).

Jun 8, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #6,555 of 11,286
Hey myap, I was at Tampines 1 earlier, and the headphone shop on the 4th floor is selling most of the Ultrasone range of cans - including the Sig Pro and Sig DJ. Quite impressive to be finding these cans in Tampines of all places. The Sig DJ is going for about S$1,400 (~$1,150).

If its burned in and have other cans there for me to compare, it wouldn't hurt for me to try as the first impression of the sig DJ wasn't so good for me but it was fresh out of the box so..,

Malevolent, do u know where to get some speakers in Singapore? The only place I know that has tons of them is Adelphi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back