The Basshead Club
Jan 29, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #4,576 of 11,286
Quote:

thanks for responding, so they're darker, but not dark, with more forward mids and better bass and sub bass?
good, sounds like they're exactly what i want, i knew these were the right choice, now i just have to find the money for them 
tongue_smile.gif

anyway, i know the m-100 are said to have better quality bass, but i was asking about quantity, is that what you were talking about?

I haven't listened to the DT770 in a long time, but from memory, M-100 wins in both quantity and quality.

Jan 29, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #4,578 of 11,286
i cant seem to find any frequency graphs for the m-100... can someone tell me if its darker/brighter compared to the dt 770s? and bass QUANTITY wise? whos the bassyer can? which has more sub-bass? are the mids recessed in the m-100 at all? i dont imagine they can be more recessed then the dt 770s? is anyone powering their m-100 off an odac+o2 combo?

Tyll Hertsens from INNER FIDELITY tested the M-100 some time ago. You can find the graphs on the last page of his review. Seems he forgot to add them to his resources page though.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #4,581 of 11,286
Sorry to ask this again  before but it seems nobody replied when i first asked.
I am looking for headphones obviously bassy, but have detail and clarity. My budget
is below USD 400. I need closed cans cos i would be studying in a library but i also
need a clamping force enough to keep the headphones on my head during a run/jog.
(It can't be TOO tight cos i need these to study also!)

I don't like iems, i find them annoying imo.

Over-ears and on-ears are fine. 

Other stuff i would like to have:
- Detachable Cable (I'm prone to spoiling the cable!)

I have too many headphones in mind if you have seen my previous post.

Thanks for your help! I can try them out but i want to know what are your experience/opinion!

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #4,582 of 11,286
Quote:
Sorry to ask this again  before but it seems nobody replied when i first asked.
I am looking for headphones obviously bassy, but have detail and clarity. My budget
is below USD 400. I need closed cans cos i would be studying in a library but i also
need a clamping force enough to keep the headphones on my head during a run/jog.
(It can't be TOO tight cos i need these to study also!)

I don't like iems, i find them annoying imo.

Over-ears and on-ears are fine. 

Other stuff i would like to have:
- Detachable Cable (I'm prone to spoiling the cable!)

I have too many headphones in mind if you have seen my previous post.

Thanks for your help! I can try them out but i want to know what are your experience/opinion!

The best options I can think of are:

V-Moda M-100
Yamaha PRO 500

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #4,583 of 11,286
Quote:
I'd like to add the Yamaha Pro 500's to that list, they'll cost you a little more, but an amp is not absolutely necessary. I'm currently listening to Dubstep on my note II with Poweramp, and they are literally vibrating on my skull. The V-Moda M100's which I also recommend, and are also fun to listen to.

How is the bass (quantity & quality) of the PRO 500 compared to the M-100? I haven't had a chance to listen to either, but the M-100 is certainly a can that I'm very interested in.

Quote:
I think I've found my perfect bass headphones.  AIAIAI TMA-1s.  Love the darkness of the sound.  The bass is exaggerated and menacing while being controlled and clean.  For dance music there's nothing I've heard that beats them. Junglist checking in here.

I agree that the TMA-1 is a really good can for EDM. The bass and its tonality are really good for most genres of dance music. Still, some tracks lose that top-end sparkle due to its dark sound.

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #4,584 of 11,286
Quote:
I just ordered the HP-800 from NuForce and will be happy to provide comparisons.  It may take a week or so.

Thanks to MacedonianHero for recommending these.  I have them on right now.

IMO, there is now a clear-cut choice for bassheads looking for a closed circumaural in the $150 range as long as portability is not an issue.  They are incredibly comfortable, ear-shaking bass AND great sound across the range.  I'm having a blast with these right now.  Imagine an M-Audio Q40 (same level of bass) with more midrange detail than Q40 and smooth extended highs.  I'm not saying these are better than the M-100 which is still my #1 audiophile headphone.  I'm saying I'm hearing the best basshead headphone sound I have ever experienced with the HP-800 and my FiiO E11 with bass boost on #2 and volume at #6.

I believe these will be one of the most revered headphones on this thread in a short time.

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #4,587 of 11,286
Ok, I was trying to give it more time before responding, but so far with the same EQ settings and equipment, the Yamaha Pro-500's have not only more bass, but more clarity in the mids and treble. Bass quality is about the same whereas the HP-500's a slight boost in mid-bass. With EQ settings flat, the M100's have more bass. The song I'm currently using is Kendrick Lamar - B@$ch don't kill my vibe for it's powerfull 808 drum decay, vocals and high hats. The Nuforce HP-800 sounds very interesting for the price.

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #4,588 of 11,286
Finally, some contenders.

Craigster, please do the world a favor and do an M-100, PRO 500 and HP-800 shootout, with comparisons. Or at least with the ones you have. If someone else can provide M-100 and PRO 500 comparisons, we can deduce the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back