The Basshead Club
Nov 12, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #3,256 of 11,286
No, I'm not saying that.. I'm talking about insane levels of bass. Thats the purpose. And the E11 + ZO2.3 give better sound quality than the ZO2.3 alone IMO (phones connected to the E11 - E11 plugged into ZO2). I'm not sure about driving high impedance phones via double amping, using amps like the E11 and Cmoy.

Nov 12, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #3,257 of 11,286
Quote:
No, I'm not saying that.. I'm talking about insane levels of bass. Thats the purpose. And the E11 + ZO2.3 give better sound quality than the ZO2.3 alone IMO (phones connected to the E11 - E11 plugged into ZO2). I'm not sure about driving high impedance phones via double amping, using amps like the E11 and Cmoy.

i wasnt necessarily talking about high impedance, maybe low sensitivity? low impedance? nevermind, you say you were talking about bass.

now, im not arguing, but let me say that the e11 can give you a 6-7 db bass boost, you say this isnt enough for you? you really like bass hu? =]

on a related subject:

question about bass boosting amps

i have two bb amps, an e11 and a cmoy. iv looked at charts for both of them and it seems the boost begins somewhere around 1khz. according to the head fi glossary of terms, bass is measured between 60-250 hz. why would bass boosters boost so much more of the frequencey?

i compared the sound of the e11 boost (3-4 db) with an equal amount of boosting via an equalizer and theres definitely a difference, i dont quite want to make an opinion on it because it was only an experiment. im asking why you think the hardware boosts would bump up an extra 750 hz or so of frequency?

Nov 12, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #3,258 of 11,286
Well it depends on how the amp's bass boost is configured obviously, FiiO are known to also boost lower-midrange with the bass boost. The ZO for example boosts mostly under 300Hz only which it should do, ZO utilizes pretty much the perfect kind of shape to the bass curve at where bass gets as nicely boosted vs as little rest of the range affect as possible.

In short, it's down to how the sound engineers configured the bass boost.

Nov 12, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #3,259 of 11,286
Quote:
Well it depends on how the amp's bass boost is configured obviously, FiiO are known to also boost lower-midrange with the bass boost. The ZO for example boosts mostly under 300Hz only which it should do, ZO utilizes pretty much the perfect kind of shape to the bass curve at where bass gets as nicely boosted vs as little rest of the range affect as possible.

In short, it's down to how the sound engineers configured the bass boost.

wow, thanks! maybe ill get the zo2 aswell... although 3 portable amps for only 1 set of cans seems to be abit too much, i really should be saving up for my next pair of headphones/some dac or other/ full sized amp rather than getting portables all the time...

Nov 12, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #3,260 of 11,286
Hey everyone, I am back! Sorry about the long absence but here's an epic Dubba Jonny track with my favorite growls I've ever heard in a dubstep track. :) One of the main reasons I stopped visiting was because I was looking at all sorts of cool stuff I couldn't get. however, I recently acquired my first job and am thus in the market for better audio stuffs =D. Now, let the quest for my perfect bass-head set up commence
very_evil_smiley.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGJBfh3VVs0

Nov 12, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #3,261 of 11,286
Quote:

i have two bb amps, an e11 and a cmoy. iv looked at charts for both of them and it seems the boost begins somewhere around 1khz. according to the head fi glossary of terms, bass is measured between 60-250 hz. why would bass boosters boost so much more of the frequencey?

BROTHER, yar I don't know why I have not yet Double Amped my XB700s... as you and I are in the same Boat, I have the E11 and the cMoy. I like the cMoy better with my Byers but the E11 is nice with the XB700s... still though :D I'm about to get my first TUBE hyrbid amp... gonna hit up some of that Tube amp DETAILED BASS! Although extra mids will take away from le bass but we shall see how it sounds :D

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #3,263 of 11,286
Quote:
BROTHER, yar I don't know why I have not yet Double Amped my XB700s... as you and I are in the same Boat, I have the E11 and the cMoy. I like the cMoy better with my Byers but the E11 is nice with the XB700s... still though :D I'm about to get my first TUBE hyrbid amp... gonna hit up some of that Tube amp DETAILED BASS! Although extra mids will take away from le bass but we shall see how it sounds :D

i dont really see the point in two bass boosts, both the amps boost way more then just the bass and can both individually give you sore ears with the bass they produce... maybe ill try it sometime just to see what you are all talking about, im interested to know what you think about the tube amp, the cmoy is also a tube if im not mistaken but im guessing your getting one with a bigass TUBE that sticks out of it, im wondering about the difference so do share

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #3,264 of 11,286
Quote:
i dont really see the point in two bass boosts, both the amps boost way more then just the bass and can both individually give you sore ears with the bass they produce... maybe ill try it sometime just to see what you are all talking about, im interested to know what you think about the tube amp, the cmoy is also a tube if im not mistaken but im guessing your getting one with a bigass TUBE that sticks out of it, im wondering about the difference so do share

Maybe you're not a basshead enough, for me there's no such thing as fatiguing bass, I can listen with bass that cause "ear-tickling" effect on a daily basis without any fatigue at all. :p

Nov 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #3,265 of 11,286
Quote:

Maybe you're not a basshead enough, for me there's no such thing as fatiguing bass, I can listen with bass that cause "ear-tickling" effect on a daily basis without any fatigue at all. :p

i dont know, maybe i ARENT. the cmoys boost is a bit much for me i must admit...
edit: wouldnt it be easier to just use an equalizer?

its funny you should mention fatigue though, im just contemplating whether or not i should open a post about it. iv been experiencing kinda like a pressure in my ears after 1-2 hours of listening to music which i guess is fatigue. im going for an ear examination (infact its a hearing test because the ear doctor said, and i quote, that i had "beautiful ears") next wed to make sure its not leftovers from a bad ear infection i had. now, i didnt want to open a post before i had my results, but as you brought it up - what exactly IS fatigue and how can i avoid it? and what do you mean ear tickling? is it literally like a tickling in your eardrum? cause i get that too. infact i was at the shooting range today and i had some of that for a while, even though i got great ear muffs. i get psoriasis in my ear so im never sure if its that or something else but i have a suspicion its not the psoriasis...

Nov 13, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #3,266 of 11,286
Quote:
and what do you mean ear tickling? is it literally like a tickling in your eardrum? cause i get that too. infact i was at the shooting range today and i had some of that for a while, even though i got great ear muffs. i get psoriasis in my ear so im never sure if its that or something else but i have a suspicion its not the psoriasis...

Well I just mean when listening to music the bass pressure is so high that you actually feel the bass tickling your ears as the pressure tries to escape somewhere but it can't so it kinda tickles your skin. That sorta bass levels is only achieved with the bassiest headphones around at a little higher volumes or you can like I've become used to listen with bassy headphones with either EQing in the past or use bass boost amps such as ZO which can bring up that bass without having to bring up the overall volume to such levels that the mids and highs would cause ear fatigue. Since I prefer slightly lower volume listening but I'm a basshead, I need that bassy headphone + amp such as the ZO to get that bass quantity satisfaction.

Nov 13, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #3,267 of 11,286
Quote:

Well I just mean when listening to music the bass pressure is so high that you actually feel the bass tickling your ears as the pressure tries to escape somewhere but it can't so it kinda tickles your skin. That sorta bass levels is only achieved with the bassiest headphones around at a little higher volumes or you can like I've become used to listen with bassy headphones with either EQing in the past or use bass boost amps such as ZO which can bring up that bass without having to bring up the overall volume to such levels that the mids and highs would cause ear fatigue. Since I prefer slightly lower volume listening but I'm a basshead, I need that bassy headphone + amp such as the ZO to get that bass quantity satisfaction.

do you feel an actual prickling on/in/around your eardrum?

Nov 13, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #3,268 of 11,286
This tickle's my ears with the HFI-780's & the E11 on EQ 1

Get a FLAC version for maximum effect. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #3,269 of 11,286
Quote:

My point exactly, and I demo'd some Senn HD 25-1II today and despite the increased Bass Control they DID Not Tickle my ENTIRE ear drum like the xb700

BUt there's never to much bass :3... well actually there can be to much bass... if you have SO much bass you blow out your cans then well you have to much... FOR THAT CAN :D! Otherwise your good! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back