The B-52 is Amazing!!!
Jan 29, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #76 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by indikator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
great gear u guys got here, but i wonder

looking from the price is B52 worth twice against apache?

I don't know the answer to that one as I have never compared the two. Yet, with the Law of Diminishing Returns, the likely answer would be no, the B52 it is not likely worth TWICE the price of the Apache. Better than the Apache, likely a resounding YES. Worth twice as much? Likely, no. But then again, "value" is in the eyes of the beholder.

Quote:

is the preamp section of B52 or apache doing good comparing to the real preamp at the same price?

This I can definitely answer. The B-52 IS a real preamp that just also happens to be a top notch headphone amp. It was much better than my previous Audio Research LS3B and Musical Fidelity A308cr. With its terrific build quality, and being fully balanced with two balanced inputs, I would put it up against any preamp on the market of the same price.

Jan 29, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #77 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the Aries 3. I am using it with a Lyra Skala cartridge and the sound is wonderful. The only thing I did not like about it was setting up the azimuth/tracking force. Having just one weight on the back end of the tonearm made it difficult to set up one parameter without screwing up the other. However, once completed, it really is no longer a bother. Therefore a minor quibble.

Actually it was the deal breaker for me. I said exactly what you did when asked why I didn't like the Scout... that setting the azimuth was a nightmare. I went ahead and upgraded to a DynaVector DV507 mk2 and a Sota Nova table. I'm sure it will sound great once Sota gets the armboard right... I've just mailed it back a second time. The first time there was no clearance for the VTA lever, making it impossible to adjust. The second time the pivot to spindle distance was off. I'm pretty upset at this point; the first I could chalk up to human error as it is an unusual tonearm, but having such a basic mistake the second time on a $3,800 turntable has really pissed me off. I ordered this thing in the summer and have yet to put a single record on it
mad.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #78 of 125
Quote:

but i wonder looking from the price is B52 worth twice against apache?

Of course. People are buying it.

If it was not worth twice the price for them, then they would not be buying it.

Pretty simple really. Is it worth twice the price for you is the real question?

Cheers,

Jan 29, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #79 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually it was the deal breaker for me. I said exactly what you did when asked why I didn't like the Scout... that setting the azimuth was a nightmare. I went ahead and upgraded to a DynaVector DV507 mk2 and a Sota Nova table. I'm sure it will sound great once Sota gets the armboard right... I've just mailed it back a second time. The first time there was no clearance for the VTA lever, making it impossible to adjust. The second time the pivot to spindle distance was off. I'm pretty upset at this point; the first I could chalk up to human error as it is an unusual tonearm, but having such a basic mistake the second time on a $3,800 turntable has really pissed me off. I ordered this thing in the summer and have yet to put a single record on it
mad.gif

Man, I feel for ya.
frown.gif
When I was in the market for the Aries, I also looked at Sota turntables. Todd Green at TTVJ did not necessarily steer me away from them, but his enthusiasm for the TNT-HRX - and by default, a souped-up Aries 3 which was 95% of the TNT for much less money - had me going with VPI. So far...very reliable (both the Aries 3 and the Scout). I'm hoping that I have not just jinxed myself! Now we can only hope that the next version of their tonearms will rectify the crappy ergonomics.

Good luck with the Sota! Keep us posted!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Cheers,

Well said.

Jan 30, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #80 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Cheers,

very well said. For me the b-52 is worth every penny. I cannot stop listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #82 of 125
That piece is stunning as I've told Ray no less than a dozen times now :-0 LOL

Here's my real and balanced pre amp that will hold it's own with the B-52 as a pre but the 52 has me hands down with not only headphone out but balanced outs!!

Wall%20Rack.JPG

Jan 31, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #84 of 125
No, don't need it bigger, need it right here in front of me! :^)

Feb 5, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #86 of 125
SF is amazing isn't it
wink.gif
It's almost a crime to hide such beauty in a listening room
biggrin.gif
My goal for the next set of spkr is either M40 or Amati depending on how much $ I can spend.

Feb 5, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #87 of 125
I just got the Sonus faber Guarneri Memento speakers in December (Merry Christmas to me!!
biggrin.gif
). Their looks are extrordinary and the sound sublime. I am a big fan of small 2 way speakers and these are the best that I have heard. I listened to the absolute sound fave Magico Mini II speaker at the same dealership and came away a little unimpressed, especially considering their incredibly high cost. For a third the money, I liked the SF more.

Now to pay back the loan...
frown.gif

Feb 5, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #88 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlaxowjd155 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gorgeous!!!!!!
What is the best maching headphone with that beast? PS-1?

All a matter of personal taste, I'm afraid. I use my Sennheiser HD-650's primarily, but switch between the Sony MDR-5000's, the Denon 5000's, and the Ultrasone Edition 9's. Also got terrific sound via Grado HP-2's. All sound great but quite different. Mood and music choice help determine which is "best" for the time.

Feb 26, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #89 of 125
As much as i love the apache, and now that I've found a good matching power cable for it, I must admit after reading this post for the umpteenth time I'm getting ready to take the plung for the B52. I love the Apache, and the proper power cable does make a large difference but I've got to take this as far as I can go as I am loving the ride. I still love and use my HR-2 and of course my Predator which is a mystery of science to me. How that much sound from such a small box???!!??
I love all of the RSA amps but I'm itching for the best of the best. The Apache has proven to be the best preamp my main system has ever had so not only am I loving my new improved sound in my system in genereal my headphones sound good also. The B52 when I do get it is pure self indulgance for the sake of the hobby at it's most. I need help!!! No Kidding!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back