The B-52 is Amazing!!!
Jan 22, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #16 of 125
Congratulations on your Choice. I just purchased the Apache. I wish I had a better job. Or a cheaper Girlfriend. We could have flown the B52's as a squadron. Ray's smaller pieces are Audio Jewelry. His Larger pieces are Audio Architecture. YOU ROCK!!

Jan 22, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #18 of 125
I love tube equipment. I have been moving too much lately and haven't been able to enjoy the glow of those beauties. What I also enjoy are tube testers, not that you use one everyday but that is just me. I have a TV10B that never worked. I found an excellent repairman that only worked on military testers since I couldn't figure out what the problem was. It turned out to be a bad solder in the meter that the military had been unable to solve. So it was calibrated and inside this later 1950 beauty, I have a tester almost new since it never worked and was never used. Well I miss having at least one of my testers around.

The B52 is a piece of work that shows what humans can do. We have many examples of this of course but the B52 is a true working piece of art showing what the creative mind can do in both form and function.

Jan 22, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #19 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love tube equipment. I have been moving too much lately and haven't been able to enjoy the glow of those beauties. What I also enjoy are tube testers, not that you use one everyday but that is just me. I have a TV10B that never worked. I found an excellent repairman that only worked on military testers since I couldn't figure out what the problem was. It turned out to be a bad solder in the meter that the military had been unable to solve. So it was calibrated and inside this later 1950 beauty, I have a tester almost new since it never worked and was never used. Well I miss having at least one of my testers around.

The B52 is a piece of work that shows what humans can do. We have many examples of this of course but the B52 is a true working piece of art showing what the creative mind can do in both form and function.

Yeah sometimes I like to turn off the lights and just stare at the beatiful glow of the b-52.

I have not rolled tubes before but Ray told me there is a better sounding set of tubes for the b-52. I forgot what they were called but Ray said they come in very limited suppplies so he does not stock them with the b-52. I think that will be next amp upgrade
icon10.gif
I cannot imagine it sounding any better than this
icon10.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #21 of 125
Yes, there are some nice Tungsol 5687's and a variety of other tubes to have great fun with. It all adds up to a great adventure.

Jan 22, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #22 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by cvn79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The B-52 is like a whole new beast.. better than the Apache in every aspect. Although the Apache is a beatiful sounding amp and the best i heard. I didnt have the same amazement with the Apache. I had the the Raptor, HR-2, and GS-X before it and seemed to be just incrementally better. The one thing better is that the Apache has a gain switch that is perfect for sensitive iem phones.

thank you for verifying my own conclusion. No offense Ray, but your B52 just bombed all over you apache during my own listening session.

Jan 22, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #23 of 125
Congrats on getting one of the best out there. I have the B-52 as well, and I can verify that there’s a large gap between it and the Apache. It also responds very well to tube-rolling. All in all, IMO Ray has created a masterpiece of both technological and aesthetic design. And gazing at those bottles glowing in the dark is akin to a religious experience!
icon10.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #26 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on getting one of the best out there. I have the B-52 as well, and I can verify that there’s a large gap between it and the Apache. It also responds very well to tube-rolling. All in all, IMO Ray has created a masterpiece of both technological and aesthetic design. And gazing at those bottles glowing in the dark is akin to a religious experience!
icon10.gif

Wow Quint: your Marantz SA-7S1 pushing the B-52 into Ed9's!! If you just had a pair of L3000 you could tell me how my dream setup would sound..
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Man this B-52 is reviewed (including my own listening) so well that no one ever sells them.....

Got to call Ray.... (after selling off some stuff)

Cheers,

Jan 22, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #27 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man this B-52 is reviewed (including my own listening) so well that no one ever sells them.....

yes. i've never seen one in the for sale forum. kind of odd. you think someone would sell a B52 at some point.

Jan 22, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #28 of 125
Well I don't think there are that many out there And, a person buying the B-52 is normally going to know and appreciate good sound and there would be no reason, except for financial reasons, to part with one. I think the 52 will remain a pinnacle for a long time to come and may always reside there as one of the best.

Jan 23, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #29 of 125
That was well put!

Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ray's smaller pieces are Audio Jewelry. His Larger pieces are Audio Architecture. YOU ROCK!!

Jan 23, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #30 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by cvn79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the comments guys
smily_headphones1.gif

what's the serial number of your B52. it should be on the back of the amp and power supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back