The Audiophile's Dictionary - for Dummies
Apr 27, 2011 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Comply

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

Every single second that goes by bring us here at Comply closer to launching our new website. Unfortunately, every two seconds there are hiccups and changes that impact absolutely everything. That being said, we're not sure when the site will launch, but it will be SOON!
I am - the whole company is - VERY excited to launch.

With that out of the way, I thought I would ask for your help. On our new site, there will be an article section that covers reviews, How-To's, etc, etc. While most of our customers know the lingo that we use to describe our sound and earphones, many don't know all of this.

So I wanted to ask you to help me build a "dictionary" of sorts that I could post on the new site so that people could check out to familiarize themselves with the terms... IF they need and want to do that.

Can you help me build this list?

For example:

IME = In-Ear Monitor

Got it? Will you help me? Please?

I said please. Ready. Set. Go.

Apr 27, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 10
You sure that's not IEM?
biggrin.gif

You might be better off asking ClieOS if you could adapt his list; it'll be easier than going through all the definitions of bass and treble that we'll suggest to decide which one is the best and then consolidating everything in a single document.

Apr 27, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
You sure that's not IEM?
biggrin.gif

You might be better off asking ClieOS if you could adapt his list; it'll be easier than going through all the definitions of bass and treble that we'll suggest to decide which one is the best and then consolidating everything in a single document.

x2, what a great website, i cant wait to see it up and running!

Apr 27, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 10
A few years ago on head-fi we actually diferentiated IEM and canalphone. only deeper insert in ear headphones were IEM.

We used the term canalphones for the cx300, the vmoda vibe and etc. things that don't insert as deeply.

BA= Balance Armature
Dynamic = coil and diaphragm speaker

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #5 of 10
Neutral - frequency response of the headphone driver over the audible spectrum is close to or at the same dB
Coloured - frequency response has distinctive spikes and dips in dB that correspond to a 'sound signature' (a sound production that deviates from neutrality aka fidelity, and thus giving the headphones a unique sound label)

backtracking a bit:

Fidelity - how true to the original recorded sound a piece of audio equipment is able to produce
dB - decibels, a measure of loudness of sound

Circumaural - 'around ear', headphones with pads that do not rest on the pinna of the ears, but instead around the ears
Supraural - 'on ear', headphones with pads that rest on the pinna of the ears

Soundstage - relative ability for headphones to mimic a sonic space or 'stage' of perceived sound sources around the headphone listener

Apr 27, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 10
These might help:

General terms: http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/glossary-of-terms

Audio terms: http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/describing-sound-a-glossary

My own IEM guide: http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/basic-guide-to-in-ear-canalphones

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #8 of 10
You may be interested in the Glossary of Terms linked in my signature which I began for Head-Fi. 
smile.gif

Apr 28, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #9 of 10
Well hot damn, you guys are helpful. I'll check out those threads and glossary of terms... I guess I could have done more research before posting.
And yes, I did mean IEM. Typos are a silent killer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back