The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II)
Nov 26, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #1,712 of 1,853
  I'll check those out, any amp/dac recommendations?

In my experience the D2000 plays nice with any amp I've used with them. I would personally go for a solid state amp, I'm not a fan of tube amp sound. Those headphones don't really need much power to perform well, you could run them straight out of your phone/dap if you wanted to.

Nov 30, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #1,716 of 1,853
Anyone using here Rockboxed players? If yes, you should definitely try out those settings:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/770518/rockbox-my-300-custom-eq-presets-you-can-download-and-easily-use-updated-thread
- audiophile basshead heaven guaranteed - my Merlins push out such powerful bass I wasn't thinking it was possible and my Velvets blew my mind away!

Nov 30, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #1,717 of 1,853
Finally finished giving those XB1000 drivers a new life. Those drivers really like to breathe from inside the cup and be sealed all the way or mostly sealed on the front (pad side). I used Shure Alcantara pads on these so they can breathe a little on the front of the driver but still maintain a seal somewhat. Alcantara pads are somewhere in the middle of velour and pleather for seal, leaning towards pleather traits. 

The cups are made of wood and painted black, nothing too special. The ports on the wood cups are 3/4" eyelets with some fine metal mesh in them for preventing anything from entering the cups. 

If anyone has any questions concerning the build or would like to replicate the same thing or similar I'd be more than happy to help. 

This was just a project, not something I normally do.

Nov 30, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #1,719 of 1,853
So...................how do they sound?!?!?!

Nov 30, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #1,720 of 1,853
  Wow Peterek, that is amazing!!!  Cool, I like the look.  So how does it sound?

So...................how do they sound?!?!?!

I'd describe them as sounding similar to a DT770-80 ohm with a better low-end reach and a forwardness that the Audio Technica W1000x has. I haven't listened to a lot of different music on them yet, but that is my first impressions of them based off of listening to some EDM and bassy music so far.

Nov 30, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #1,722 of 1,853
  Thanks, definitely was I was looking for after mulling over a bunch of different headphones. I'll post back when I get them.

So I got my them today, comparatively to my AD700's I feel like vocals and highs are pretty flat and the sound stage is obviously smaller and has less depth. Though I guess its to be expected comparing the two. I'm not using a DAC or Amp so maybe that will change my opinion on it, or getting used to them. 

EDIT: Plugging them into my phone gives me abit better of sound, strange. My PC and Phone don't have EQ's, any reasoning behind this? I'd figure a Asus Xonar D1 would produce better sound than a Galaxy S4

Nov 30, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #1,723 of 1,853

thats truly brilliant!

im interested about the cups - are they modified "darth beyer"? completely custom? did you take the regular plastic cups and saw off the top bit, adding the wood ontop?
what about the whole, urm, "construct" holding the driver in place, is it from the xb1000? any treatment on the inside of the cups?
any pictures of the process? 

Nov 30, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #1,724 of 1,853

thats truly brilliant!

im interested about the cups - are they modified "darth beyer"? completely custom? did you take the regular plastic cups and saw off the top bit, adding the wood ontop?
what about the whole, urm, "construct" holding the driver in place, is it from the xb1000? any treatment on the inside of the cups?
any pictures of the process? 

These were just a DT770 pro when I started. I cut the face of the cups off with a Dremel and then sanded them down flat and put the wood on top of that, then painted! 

The XB1000 drivers are actually epoxied straight to the locking ring that normally holds the baffles of the stock drivers. The fit was perfect.
See for pictures of that: http://www.head-fi.org/t/715697/the-audiophile-bass-lounge-basshead-club-part-ii/1695#post_12102701

The insides are pretty empty. I used dual 4-pin mini XLR inputs on these and used BTG Audio copper wire to connect those to the drivers. The tuning comes from the big 3/4" port on the front of the cups.

Dec 10, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #1,725 of 1,853
  These were just a DT770 pro when I started. I cut the face of the cups off with a Dremel and then sanded them down flat and put the wood on top of that, then painted! 

The XB1000 drivers are actually epoxied straight to the locking ring that normally holds the baffles of the stock drivers. The fit was perfect.
See for pictures of that: http://www.head-fi.org/t/715697/the-audiophile-bass-lounge-basshead-club-part-ii/1695#post_12102701

The insides are pretty empty. I used dual 4-pin mini XLR inputs on these and used BTG Audio copper wire to connect those to the drivers. The tuning comes from the big 3/4" port on the front of the cups.

thats so cool - truly impressive 
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back