The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II)
Oct 29, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #1,682 of 1,853
Anyone know of any notable bass forward iem's for under $50. Looking more for boom boom than deep bass. Also one that doesn't need much eq'ing. Just looking for something to plug in and play. Thanks

$50 on the nose..Reduced from $200.

PURO IEM500 dual drivers currently on ebay....

34 ohm though so be aware of that depending on how you are driving them.

Excel at bass without bass bleed into mids. Read their website for info.

Nov 11, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #1,683 of 1,853
So, fostex th600 for $600 powered by ifi micro ican seem like a good setup? I want these for gaming and music. Extended listening sessions. Music genres are: hip hop, electronic, alternative rock. I'm also thinking of trying out the Philips fidelio x2 and denon d600 as well since they're half the price. I had audeze LCD-2s for a while, but couldn't stand the comfort issues. I also didn't feel like the ican powered it properly. Don't want to have to spend a lo on amps.

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #1,684 of 1,853
So, fostex th600 for $600 powered by ifi micro ican seem like a good setup? I want these for gaming and music. Extended listening sessions. Music genres are: hip hop, electronic, alternative rock. I'm also thinking of trying out the Philips fidelio x2 and denon d600 as well since they're half the price. I had audeze LCD-2s for a while, but couldn't stand the comfort issues. I also didn't feel like the ican powered it properly. Don't want to have to spend a lo on amps.

This would be an awesome setup. I tried the Fidelio X2 and that can't come anywhere close to the TH600 in bass. My only suggestion would be to maybe step up to the iFi iDSD Micro for about $100 more than the iCAN. First, it has a DAC whereas the iCAN is only an amp. Second, it has about 10x the power output (4W peak vs 400mW) so you'll be set for any future purchases. The iCAN would be serviceable but I think the jump to the iDSD Micro (not Nano!) is worth it.

Nov 12, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #1,685 of 1,853
This would be an awesome setup. I tried the Fidelio X2 and that can't come anywhere close to the TH600 in bass. My only suggestion would be to maybe step up to the iFi iDSD Micro for about $100 more than the iCAN. First, it has a DAC whereas the iCAN is only an amp. Second, it has about 10x the power output (4W peak vs 400mW) so you'll be set for any future purchases. The iCAN would be serviceable but I think the jump to the iDSD Micro (not Nano!) is worth it.

Do I really need that much power for those headphones though? I've considered the idsd mainly because of the dac, but I have listened to it. The bass boost on it I felt was very weak and barely noticeable. Amp only, I felt headphones sounded better through the ican. If ifi ever updates the idsd to have the two levels of bass boost and 3d, then I would get it.

Nov 12, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #1,686 of 1,853

Do I really need that much power for those headphones though? I've considered the idsd mainly because of the dac, but I have listened to it. The bass boost on it I felt was very weak and barely noticeable. Amp only, I felt headphones sounded better through the ican. If ifi ever updates the idsd to have the two levels of bass boost and 3d, then I would get it.

I always say it is up to your ears. If you heard it then you're a step ahead of most people. You don't need that much power but the versatility to go from IEMs to planars is a very nice thing to have. If you don't plan on changing/upgrading I think the iCAN is plenty capable, but you'll still want a DAC. A Schiit Magni 2 Uber/Modi 2 Uber can be had for the cost of the iCAN with lot more power and a DAC to boot.

Nov 12, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #1,687 of 1,853
I always say it is up to your ears. If you heard it then you're a step ahead of most people. You don't need that much power but the versatility to go from IEMs to planars is a very nice thing to have. If you don't plan on changing/upgrading I think the iCAN is plenty capable, but you'll still want a DAC. A Schiit Magni 2 Uber/Modi 2 Uber can be had for the cost of the iCAN with lot more power and a DAC to boot.

A dac would definitely help.  However, I'm somewhat hopeful.  Ifi has been releasing updated versions of some of their products recently and is working on their desktop pro series.  I'll try these headphones out first as is and see if I feel like getting a simple dac.  An updated ifi micro idsd is what I would want to go with as I really want something with a 3D effect like thing and bass boost.  I also already own the ican.

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #1,688 of 1,853

A dac would definitely help.  However, I'm somewhat hopeful.  Ifi has been releasing updated versions of some of their products recently and is working on their desktop pro series.  I'll try these headphones out first as is and see if I feel like getting a simple dac.  An updated ifi micro idsd is what I would want to go with as I really want something with a 3D effect like thing and bass boost.  I also already own the ican.

Well ****, if you own the iCAN you don't have to worry. I own the TH600 with the Schiit Lyr 2 and Bifrost Multibit and I have NO complaints. Once I rule out a few more options I will be getting the TH600 recabled and fitted with custom wood cups to make them my end game setup. They're already awesome but very bright, and I am not a huge fan of treble.

Edit: I guess that does sound like a complaint but it is more of a first world problem. I'm very happy with the TH600 :)

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #1,689 of 1,853
Well ****, if you own the iCAN you don't have to worry. I own the TH600 with the Schiit Lyr 2 and Bifrost Multibit and I have NO complaints. Once I rule out a few more options I will be getting the TH600 recabled and fitted with custom wood cups to make them my end game setup. They're already awesome but very bright, and I am not a huge fan of treble.

Edit: I guess that does sound like a complaint but it is more of a first world problem. I'm very happy with the TH600
smily_headphones1.gif

How bright is too bright? I can't stand bright headphones or narrow soundstages.   One of the reason I like the 3D effect the ican right now.  As a comparison, I thought the beyerdynamic dt 770 was far too bright and physically hurt my ears with its treble spikes.  I definitely lean towards the darker side of sound.

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #1,690 of 1,853

Edit: I guess that does sound like a complaint but it is more of a first world problem. I'm very happy with the TH600 :)

How bright is too bright? I can't stand bright headphones or narrow soundstages.   One of the reason I like the 3D effect the ican right now.  As a comparison, I thought the beyerdynamic dt 770 was far too bright and physically hurt my ears with its treble spikes.  I definitely lean towards the darker side of sound.

I don't think it is as bright as Beyerdynamic, but it is bright. Specifically a peak at 5.5KHz. It can be EQ'd out but it is the reason I am still searching (while happily rocking the EQ'd TH600s).

Nov 14, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #1,691 of 1,853
I don't think it is as bright as Beyerdynamic, but it is bright. Specifically a peak at 5.5KHz. It can be EQ'd out but it is the reason I am still searching (while happily rocking the EQ'd TH600s).

Yeah, they're far too bright, just got them.  Been listening for a few hours. Painful to listen to.  The Philips Fidelio X2 has really impressed me though.  So far I'm really liking these.  Very light, comfortable, very good bass, good sound stage, fun sound, and way cheaper.

Nov 14, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #1,692 of 1,853

Yeah, they're far too bright, just got them.  Been listening for a few hours. Painful to listen to.  The Philips Fidelio X2 has really impressed me though.  So far I'm really liking these.  Very light, comfortable, very good bass, good sound stage, fun sound, and way cheaper.

I use EQ to bring 4kHz and 8kHz down -1.5dB and 5.5kHz down -3dB. It makes them much easier to listen to when they get loud.

Nov 15, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #1,694 of 1,853
Contender for the low-end audiophile club...have a set on the way, initial impressions good.
Waiting for more feedback of the build quality though.

A low-end that sounds like LCD2.1/2.2c user impressions......

http://www.head-fi.org/products/lz-a2/reviews/14512
http://www.head-fi.org/t/786210/new-3-way-hybrid-ba-dd-iem-lz-a2-including-dd-a1

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #1,695 of 1,853
Found a song with some of the most sub bass i have heard. Goes very low, too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_J5DXYrYP80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back