The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II)
Oct 2, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #1,066 of 1,853
Congrats! I am testing Ultrasone Signature DJs atm but I didn't out of box like the Signature DJs more than Q40 because the mids were slightly bit recessed which they aren't on Q40 but adding an extra foam pad in the cups to balance out the mids/highs I start liking enough to the point it will be worth giving it some time to see whether it will overtake Q40 as my fav phone or not.

The problem is the many many factors that contribute to the final experience:

- Amp synergy (I keep using either ZO2.1 or ZO FS). Q40 works great with ZO2.1, Signature DJs in comparison to Q40, have good synergy with ZO FS, ZO2.1 had a more "fitting" sound signature for my tastes but it doesn't work so well with Signature DJ so kinda have to use ZO FS with it.

- Fit. The Q40 are like made for my head! Despite the very high clamping force, I can wear these headphones all day, no prob since the pressure distribution is just perfect and the angle the pressure is focused is like a straight 90 degree angle. Likewise, Ultrasone Signature DJs doesn't fit my head that nicely, creating a bit seal issues or discomfort (have to pick either or). Signature DJs are very picky about positioning too.

- I've tried modding Signature DJs with additional foam in the cups to balance out the mids/highs. Different pads will give different results. 

- I have my own tastes regarding sound. Both comes close balance-wise, Q40 a bit closer unmodded.

Oct 2, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #1,068 of 1,853
New HM5 memory foam pads excellent. Best fit yet on my Fostex T50RP...suede-topped them and road tested in mid-day sun...LOL.
They basically keep your ears away from the driver vs the old HM5 ones. Seal seems better for low-end.

Oct 2, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #1,070 of 1,853
  I have the memory foam version here. I'm really surprised you got them on your T50RP, mine didn't want to stretch to get on my Takstars at first.

Glued on. I'm past tuning my pair so no access needed behind the pads.
Edit : I think the Audeze way is the best with pad installation.... seal the pads right to the earcup surface. Not sure if clip-in pads/hook over the rim pads are sealing in the bass as well. Maybe wrong.

Oct 2, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #1,071 of 1,853
After reading all 70 pages of this thread, I've almost settled on the Audeze LCD-2. But I'm gun shy after my 1st high-end headphone purchase, which proved to be a disappointment. I bought the Beyerdynamic T90, which, to my ears, had no bass whatsoever, even when EQ'd.

I'll be using them for 100% Spotify Premium listening. They will be connected to my desktop computer via a Schiit Asgard 2 headphone amp and a Schiit Modi DAC. 

My tastes run to jazz funk and funk revival (funk era Herbie Hancock, James Brown, Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, etc). I love the itchy feeling in your eardrums when they're stimulated by some lovely sub-bass. I like to feel bass much as hear it.

For those of you who own or have listened to the LCD-2, do you think I'll be able to experience that with them?

Also, will the Asgard 2 be sufficient to drive the LCD-2?

I also considered the Ultrasone Pro 900, but sibilance hurts my ears, and it sounds like those would be rough for me.

must to forget "fazor driver"..
better to take a rev 2.2 (rosewood is more expensive but better build quality to bamboo..

Oct 2, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #1,072 of 1,853
must to forget "fazor driver"..
better to take a rev 2.2 (rosewood is more expensive but better build quality to bamboo..

Mojlnir more powerfull,easy drive LCD2 :)

Oct 2, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #1,073 of 1,853
  After reading all 70 pages of this thread, I've almost settled on the Audeze LCD-2. But I'm gun shy after my 1st high-end headphone purchase, which proved to be a disappointment. I bought the Beyerdynamic T90, which, to my ears, had no bass whatsoever, even when EQ'd.

Well I went for it. I bought the LCD–2 (pre-fazor) in Rosewood. I sold the Beyer T90.

Holy moly, what a difference. The LCD-2 are so much more to my taste. Superior in every way. There's really no comparison.

I guess you really do get what you pay for.

Oct 2, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #1,074 of 1,853
Oh man. It's honestly been years since I've had that happen to me from a pair of headphones.

Maybe I should look into them..

How's the comfort? Do they feel durable? 

Yeah they feel plenty durable. They seem to fit my head very nicely, the headband touches my head the entire length so it doesn't feel like all the clamp is on the pads like most headphones. It's definitely a must have if you're a basshead.

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #1,075 of 1,853

Well I went for it. I bought the LCD–2 (pre-fazor) in Rosewood. I sold the Beyer T90.

Holy moly, what a difference. The LCD-2 are so much more to my taste. Superior in every way. There's really no comparison.

I guess you really do get what you pay for.

Good stuff mate. Early impressions? 

Anyone here got Mad Dogs? I'm buying some, going to get the "Doggie treats" upgrade, as I'm looking to squeeze as much bass as possible before the EQ stage.

Thoughts? 

Oct 2, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #1,076 of 1,853
Well, I'm not an expert by any means, having owned only the Beyer T90 and now the LCD-2, but here are my impressions of the LCD-2.

Soundstage: unbelievable, I'm noticing stereo separation I never did before. By comparison, the T90 seemed like my music was all in mono.

Detail: I'm noticing elements of the music I never heard before, either in cans or loudspeakers. I've been listening to lots of Weather Report, and Dude, there is stuff in there I never knew was there, and I've been listening to this same music since the 1970's.

Bass: excellent. Now I'm not saying it is like the 12" subwoofer I have in my living room, but I think it is about as good as cans can get. This is where the T90's truly sucked.

Comfort: Okay, the T90s win here, but not by much. Folks say the LCD-2 are heavy, but I don't notice it. The clamp is not uncomfortable; I feel it only at the bottom of the ear pads. As big as these are, they fit somewhat on-the-ear at the very bottom of my earlobes, where the T90s covered my whole ear, but who cares.

Beauty: I got the rosewood with the leather pads and I love the look. They are Faberge eggs as far as I'm concerned.

I running these via a Modi and Asgard2. I perceived that the dynamic range seems wider on the Asgard 2 in low gain, so I am running low gain. This could be totally my imagination. So far I have adequate headroom in the amp at low gain, but I'm running it around 60-70%.

Bottom line, I'm one freakin' happy camper.

Oct 2, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #1,077 of 1,853

Good stuff mate. Early impressions? 

Anyone here got Mad Dogs? I'm buying some, going to get the "Doggie treats" upgrade, as I'm looking to squeeze as much bass as possible before the EQ stage.

Thoughts? 

Those ones might bleed bass into mids. The pro model might be up your street, bridges Alpha and MD....
Also if memory serves correct, MD use original cable system whereas I'd go dual entry with new cabling.

My puppies below, waiting for a used DX90 which I hope will power them directly with no amp.....

Oct 3, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #1,078 of 1,853
So I got some NuMark Electrowaves after my Q40s broke, (right channel died) I sent them in for repairs, but they had no replacements so they offered me these...and damn. These are arguably better than the Q40s in every way but aesthetics, sound leakage, and punch. The sound quality is better, the sound stage is wider, the bass is far heavier, (50mm dynamic driver vs 40mm mylar driver) and it can go from slightly treble heavy to bass heavy really quick with some EQ. These are also more comfortable with stock pads than the Q40s and are noise cancelling as well. The leak is pretty bad, but that's the only downside. I'm listening to some tracks right now, the vocals are clear, the bass is there (accurate and controlled, but not heavy without EQ) and the treble is nice. The mids are recessed when the bass comes in which affects the vocals, but the quality is just utterly stunning coming from $80 cans. In regards to jsut the bass...you won't find as hard hitting bass as the Q40s...but it's accurate and controlled, the mid bass is more where the increase is situated.

Add these to the list please, they are definitely worthy.

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #1,080 of 1,853
If anyone is interested in audio enhancing software, I stumbled across this plug in: http://dpsplugin.com/home/ it is mostly free (except for audio profiles which affect sound output and cannot be disabled to my knowledge) and it can increase bass quite a bit without affecting mids or highs. It's better than ViPER4Windows in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back