The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II)
Mar 25, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #1,788 of 1,853
I think i like the lp2 alot... What else should i consider with the same tough bass, but less recessed mids? I cant go over 125 usd and prefer closer to 100. I cant really amo whatever cans i get too

M-Audio Q40, I kinda liked LP2 too but thought mids weren't good enough, was a bit overly smooth and somewhat muddy. Don't know if you can find the Q40 anymore though as they are discontinued.

Mar 25, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #1,790 of 1,853
Could you slide me a recommendation that is still in production please?

I can vouch for the Q40's too. I've had my pair for over 2 years now and they still get a lot of head time. I think even though they're discontinued they're pretty easy to find. 

Mar 26, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #1,791 of 1,853
I think i like the lp2 alot... What else should i consider with the same tough bass, but less recessed mids? I cant go over 125 usd and prefer closer to 100. I cant really amo whatever cans i get too

If you're after deep, tight, punchy bass, with no mid bass hump, consider the SMS Street on ear. Here's a pic of them along with the Sennheiser PX95s I use for tv and my Pro-Ject boxes.

I imported the Streets to NZ from the 'States after I was sorely disappointed in the AudioTechnica ATH PRO700MK2. Both were great deals via Ben's Bargains. Build quality on the ATs was fantastic, but didn't think much of the SQ, comfort or even the bass. They can probably handle plenty of EQ, but I never bother EQing these days.

Prior to getting the SMS on ears my daily driver was the PSB M4U1. Technically very good, but the bass just didn't cut the mustard for this basshead. Midrange, treble, clarity, soundstage etc were surprisingly similar, with the edge going to the PSBs, but the Streets blew them away down low.

The bassy little open Sennys are light as a feather and great for tv when my GF is studying. However I love the SMS cans so much I sold all my other 'phones including the PSBs, ATH PRO700MK2, ATH A500X, Sony MDR XB950BT, VMODA M-80 and Sony XB600.

Apr 1, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #1,792 of 1,853
So, looking for an upgrade from my Philips Fidelio X2s.  I'm currently powering them through an ifi micro ican SE with xbass on max and first level of 3D.  Sound pretty damn good.  I'm just curious what else is out there.  I want them to have a similar sound signature (no bright headphones in any sense of the word, my ears cannot handle that) and to be open headphones.  I figure as long as the headphones by default have good bass, the xbass of my amp can turn them into basshead level.

Apr 3, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #1,794 of 1,853
Step into Hifiman and Audeze territory.

Off the deep end, HE-6 has the most visceral bass ever while the HE 400 is no slouch either. The LCD-2 is something to ponder too.

I've tried the LCD-2s.  Had some for a bit.  The weight is far too much for me to be able to listen to them for any extended period of time.  I don't want to have to look for used headphones either.  I'd rather I can buy them new.  What bout the HE 560?  They're on amazon for $700.  I don't really want to go above that price range.

Apr 3, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #1,795 of 1,853
  I've tried the LCD-2s.  Had some for a bit.  The weight is far too much for me to be able to listen to them for any extended period of time.  I don't want to have to look for used headphones either.  I'd rather I can buy them new.  What bout the HE 560?  They're on amazon for $700.  I don't really want to go above that price range.

If you can accept going used, find an HE-6 for around $800 it will be worth it...............I had the 560 side by side with my first HE-6 and there was no comparison, especially with bass.  That extra $100 is worth it - I just traded my HD800 for another HE-6 and will never get rid of it.  It's the best I've heard and the bass is visceral. 

Apr 13, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #1,796 of 1,853
Looking for an comfy headphone that has a similar signature to my beloved Sennheiser IE80s or Shure SE846s, except over ear.

(Looking for an upgrade from an M100)

How would you guys rate the the following options? Going to go listen to all of them (except the Sony) this Saturday.

- Audeze EL-8 Titanium (with the Cipher lightning cable)

Audeze Sine (with the Cipher lightning cable) [I know these are technically on ear]

(The Cipher cable contains a DAC / Amp, and connects to an iOS source via lightning, apparently adds more bass and allows you to set a hardware EQ)

- Fostex TH-900 mk2 (majorly stretching the budget here, but if the bass is right...)

- Ultrasone Signature DJ (worried these might clamp too much)

- Sony MDR-Z7 (Can't find a place to demo this in Aust, which is a must for me at the $$$ level)

Any others I should be looking at? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #1,797 of 1,853
Hello all, I'm looking for a fun, bassy headphone. My headphone tastes are usually more on the traditional audiophile side (I use the K7XX and Meeaudio Pinnacle P1 as my main 'phones), but right now I'm looking for something that is much more fun and bassy.

Requirements: Full size/over ear, closed, comfy, under $200. A plus but not required: mic/button controls, good build quality. Don't care about: style/looks/.

On sound, I'm looking for a bass that is fun with a lot of impact/slam, but not overly loose/flabby. for mids, I would prefer them not to be too recessed, but I feel that is hard to find for bassy headphones so it's not required for me. Not fussy on treble, as long as it's not sibilant.

I've tried the ATH-M50's, Skullcandy Aviators, and Klipsch Image One's before....while they hit a lot of what I am looking for, I am still looking for something with a bit more slam/quantity. I've also owned in the past the Beyerdynamic DT 770 80ohms, but found while they had a good bass quality/quantity, they didn't have enough impact/slam for my tastes. I've never tried the XB500's (or their varieties) or the SRH750DJ, but am interested if these would satisfy what I am looking for, or something else all together? Thanks.

Apr 23, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #1,798 of 1,853
http://www.head-fi.org/products/lz-a3-lz-a3/reviews/15829

Apr 24, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #1,799 of 1,853
  Hello all, I'm looking for a fun, bassy headphone. My headphone tastes are usually more on the traditional audiophile side (I use the K7XX and Meeaudio Pinnacle P1 as my main 'phones), but right now I'm looking for something that is much more fun and bassy.

Requirements: Full size/over ear, closed, comfy, under $200. A plus but not required: mic/button controls, good build quality. Don't care about: style/looks/.

On sound, I'm looking for a bass that is fun with a lot of impact/slam, but not overly loose/flabby. for mids, I would prefer them not to be too recessed, but I feel that is hard to find for bassy headphones so it's not required for me. Not fussy on treble, as long as it's not sibilant.

I've tried the ATH-M50's, Skullcandy Aviators, and Klipsch Image One's before....while they hit a lot of what I am looking for, I am still looking for something with a bit more slam/quantity. I've also owned in the past the Beyerdynamic DT 770 80ohms, but found while they had a good bass quality/quantity, they didn't have enough impact/slam for my tastes. I've never tried the XB500's (or their varieties) or the SRH750DJ, but am interested if these would satisfy what I am looking for, or something else all together? Thanks.

Have you considered V-moda M-100s a little over $200 at times I just got a another pair from Microsoft for $150 but sale is over

Users who are viewing this thread

Back