The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II)
Apr 24, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #1,561 of 1,853
I am running the 840 with the Cayin C-5 amplifier and it is a great and they are a great bass head combination. Best I've yet had for portable.

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #1,562 of 1,853
:)

They are basshead alright!
I sent both of mine to ultra over at chang's for measurements, so you can visit or PM me.
I also sent in my Ultrasone Signature DJs for measurements.

Apr 26, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #1,563 of 1,853
Bass texture and impact improved on C5 without having to hit the bass boost (found it muddy/slightly overkill on a lot of mastering ) with new opamps highlighted below...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/729545/the-new-cayin-c5-portable-power-house/1545#post_11545888

May 4, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #1,564 of 1,853
Can someone tell me what headphones have the best bass out of the box as far as quantity and quality, as I've done so much reading I'm now going round in circles. How well do the Ultrasone Signature DJ fair against others out of the box? I don't mind if the mids are slightly recessed, I actually prefer it with most types of EDM.

I did buy the X2 but they didn't even come close for me in the bass department.

May 4, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #1,565 of 1,853
  Can someone tell me what headphones have the best bass out of the box as far as quantity and quality, as I've done so much reading I'm now going round in circles. How well do the Ultrasone Signature DJ fair against others out of the box? I don't mind if the mids are slightly recessed, I actually prefer it with most types of EDM.

What's your budget? 

May 4, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #1,567 of 1,853
Those ultrasone 840s look bassy but it seems like its mostly mid-bass and not a lot of sub-bass. What do you guys think?

May 8, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #1,568 of 1,853
Those ultrasone 840s look bassy but it seems like its mostly mid-bass and not a lot of sub-bass. What do you guys think?

It looks to be slightly shifted towards midbass. I personally use 80Hz as some kind of border between mid and subbass and compare how much of a boost is it at 80 - 200Hz compared to 0 - 80Hz, the bass peak seems to have the centerpoint roughly around 90~95Hz which is a bit above that 80Hz and it looks to have a steeper roll off in the mid/upper bass so yea, seems slightly more shifted towards midbass but not too drasticly so.

Then it's a matter of genres you're a listening to, the kind of bass curve the 840 has should work ideally with EDM or trance etc which uses electronic generated bass beats typically using subbass to fill up the beats in the 40 - 80Hz range especially but also use a lot of midbass presence in the 80 - 150Hz range to get a more punchy impactful hit.

If you like punch and impact of electronic dance music then this bass curve should be good but if you prefer pure subbass presence there's probably other alternatives too.

For my own taste the highs are my concern, as usual Ultrasone headphones, it does seem to have a peak in the highs there around 8kHz, I like to listen so the bass part is loud and you're able to feel it, on Signature DJ the highs were just tiny bit too loud for me and was limiting the volume level I had to listen at, ideally I had wanted to bring up the vol slightly more, a decibel or two. The 840 I fear it would be the same case, limiting the listening volume level (female vocals, hi-hats, cymbals etc) and not getting quite to that bass impact state I prefer and also leaving the mids slightly bit thin sounding.

May 8, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #1,569 of 1,853
I find with the Cayin C5 the 840 has great synergy, thus far my best portable bass head combo.

Not sure if it's mid or sub but they satisfy my needs better than anything I've tried up to now.

May 13, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #1,570 of 1,853

i have these headphones which most of them are V-shaped

1. ATH-W1000x
2. Philips Fidelio X1
3. V-Moda M100
4. ATH-WS55i
5. ATH-CKR 10

the M-100 and WS-55i is the best when it comes to the bass, in quality and quantity

the only real difference to me is that the M-100 punch more in the sub-bass section

May 30, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #1,571 of 1,853
With all the focus on amps/cans....are any of you using multibit old school DACs (pcm63 etc) and getting a big jump up in the low-end heft/texture/presentation ?
Is delta-sigma holding back things in the chain ?

@wahsmoh any comments on your Theta for bassheads ?

Jun 12, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #1,572 of 1,853
So I recently bought a Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost, & Beyerdynamic Dt 990 Premium 600 ohms with the intent that I would be experiencing heavy bass & clarity in sound. The clarity part has happened since mids, highs are extremely clear and crisp, the treble is a bit high too my liking but the part that I am most pissed about is the fact that the bass (lows) are just not strong enough for my liking!! I listen to a lot of Deadmau5 and have heard how excellent his music sounds when there is a great amount of bass but this combination just isn't achieving what I thought it would. I'm starting to think I may have made a wrong purchase here somewhere whether it be the amp, dac, or headphones, although every review I read before hand said that the beyer dt990 600 ohms would provide heavy ass bass while the schiit lyr 2/ schiit bifrost would provide sufficient enough power to back it up. Is there an easy fix here somewhere???? I am content with everything my combination offers except for the fact that the treble is pretty harsh and I want more heavy low bass since it seems the only bass I hear is strong mid bass but no deep low bass ':frowning2: Is the problem my tubes?? Would a Preamp of some sort help with this combination????  Some say to get different tubes but I would not know where to start with that... I need tubes that are clear, not too harsh on treble highs, and of course provides me with strong low deep bass. Price is not a concern for me here as I want to achieve an enjoyable experience with my combination by buying whatever I need to, to provide me with stronger low bass!! Any suggestions or comments are extremely appreciated and you may ask me any questions that you think could help better assist me in what to fix. I just want bass is all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ':frowning2:((((

Unfortunately I am not allowed to post a screenshot but i would appreciate it so much If you guys could head to Imgur . com and in the site's search button type in "User:stonecoldflacko9" then click my submitted images, there will be a screenshot of the type of bass I'm looking for... I am mainly focused in deadmau5's music and when I raised the 55hz it started to sound like the sound I have been looking for all along with my Beyers. And please note I am a rookie when it comes to messing with EQ's so Im sure I made some cringeworthy adjustments. Please let me know how I can get my setup to consistently have stronger bass with less treble. Are the DAC/AMP to blame?? Or is the Beyer's fault??? What headphones are out there that can give me the bass Im looking for from the screenshot straight out of the box?!??! I am fine with using an EQ when listening to music but I also want this strong bass when I am gaming or movie watching. Thank you in advance for whoever takes the time to help me out, I can't thank you enough seriously.   

Jun 12, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #1,573 of 1,853
So I recently bought a Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost, & Beyerdynamic Dt 990 Premium 600 ohms with the intent that I would be experiencing heavy bass & clarity in sound. The clarity part has happened since mids, highs are extremely clear and crisp, the treble is a bit high too my liking but the part that I am most pissed about is the fact that the bass (lows) are just not strong enough for my liking!! I listen to a lot of Deadmau5 and have heard how excellent his music sounds when there is a great amount of bass but this combination just isn't achieving what I thought it would. I'm starting to think I may have made a wrong purchase here somewhere whether it be the amp, dac, or headphones, although every review I read before hand said that the beyer dt990 600 ohms would provide heavy ass bass while the schiit lyr 2/ schiit bifrost would provide sufficient enough power to back it up. Is there an easy fix here somewhere???? I am content with everything my combination offers except for the fact that the treble is pretty harsh and I want more heavy low bass since it seems the only bass I hear is strong mid bass but no deep low bass ':frowning2: Is the problem my tubes?? Would a Preamp of some sort help with this combination????  Some say to get different tubes but I would not know where to start with that... I need tubes that are clear, not too harsh on treble highs, and of course provides me with strong low deep bass. Price is not a concern for me here as I want to achieve an enjoyable experience with my combination by buying whatever I need to, to provide me with stronger low bass!! Any suggestions or comments are extremely appreciated and you may ask me any questions that you think could help better assist me in what to fix. I just want bass is all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ':frowning2:((((

Unfortunately I am not allowed to post a screenshot but i would appreciate it so much If you guys could head to Imgur . com and in the site's search button type in "User:stonecoldflacko9" then click my submitted images, there will be a screenshot of the type of bass I'm looking for... I am mainly focused in deadmau5's music and when I raised the 55hz it started to sound like the sound I have been looking for all along with my Beyers. And please note I am a rookie when it comes to messing with EQ's so Im sure I made some cringeworthy adjustments. Please let me know how I can get my setup to consistently have stronger bass with less treble. Are the DAC/AMP to blame?? Or is the Beyer's fault??? What headphones are out there that can give me the bass Im looking for from the screenshot straight out of the box?!??! I am fine with using an EQ when listening to music but I also want this strong bass when I am gaming or movie watching. Thank you in advance for whoever takes the time to help me out, I can't thank you enough seriously.   

Here's his EQ settings screenshot. stonecoldflacko likes his bass :)

Jun 12, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #1,574 of 1,853
While the 990 does have pretty good bass for an open headphone, Beyers are traditionally on the thinner, more treble happy side of things in my experience. The bass you're looking for could easily be found in something from the Denon D-x000 lineup. You might wanna look into a Denon D2000, modded or unmodded. You'll lose out on some soundstage, but being semi open headphones, it wouldn't be too much of a problem. Especially listening to music from the likes of Deadmau5. If you just want some serious, skull pounding bass then you could also give the JVC HA-SZ2000 a try. Anything V-Moda might fit your tastes as well. Strong midbass, recessed midrange, but with clarity and decent treble was my experience with the V-Moda M100. Not much soundstage at all, but great for trance/dubstep etc., and a great portable can as well. Also look into the Fostex TH600 and Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs (with doggie treats). Mr. Speakers actually just put his entire lineup of headphones on sale.

Jun 12, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #1,575 of 1,853
In the market for some new basshead cans for arround $200, but can go higher. Currently have the WS77, and love them. Looking at Audio Technica Pro700 MK2, SZ2000, WS99, and Yamaha Pro 500

Probably mainly between Pro700MK2 and WS99

Users who are viewing this thread

Back