The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Mar 18, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #721 of 1,431

Quote:
anyone know what is that in the lower part of the photo, the thing hold by two screws.
and i feel tempted to punch some holes 
very_evil_smiley.gif

ShinyFalcon is right, it's to limit, or to hinder the swivel of the cups. When I "opened" my m50's I removed it, and it did indeed make the movements smoother. 

I'll be posting a tutorial up in the next few days, since I have some free time! :D

Mar 18, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #722 of 1,431
Just found out that things bought on Ebay shipped from USA to Canada via UPS have brokerage fees of about 50% the cost of the actual product.

Royally screwed :s Now instead of paying ~$110 + shipping, I'll be paying close to $200 overall for them M50s.. when they arrive next Tuesday.

Mar 18, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #723 of 1,431
I don't have any amp or dac right now, as I am using my M50 mostly with my J3. When i use the M50 with my laptop, I just use the headphone out.

I know ATH-M50 doesn't need an amp and all, but since my future upgrade would most likely be HD650, I'm trying to buy a DAC and an amp. I can't buy everything all at once, and there is no need to, so I am thinking about buying one by one. My most logical step is DAC, amp, then the HD650, since DAC and amp can be used with my current headphone as well. 

And with M50 being so easily driven, I wanted to know if I'd be able to clearly hear the difference when using the good old HO of my laptop and when using a DAC. Moreover, I would also like to know if the driving strength of an amp (basically any sonic difference between using a weak amp like e7 or a stronger amp like the m-stage) can also be noticed with my M50...

Do any of you guys have experience in this?

Mar 18, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #724 of 1,431

Quote:
Just found out that things bought on Ebay shipped from USA to Canada via UPS have brokerage fees of about 50% the cost of the actual product.

Royally screwed :s Now instead of paying ~$110 + shipping, I'll be paying close to $200 overall for them M50s.. when they arrive next Tuesday.

holy!
cant you contact the seller and ask him to cancel the order?

Mar 18, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #725 of 1,431
It's already shipped 2 days ago :/

I only read about this yesterday when I was curious and read about the ebay feedbacks and noticed that almost all Canadian buyers were complaining about UPS and the ridiculous brokerage fees.

These M50 had BETTER sound better than typical $200 headphones, since I'll be blowing that much money on em, haha.

Quote:
holy!
cant you contact the seller and ask him to cancel the order?

Mar 18, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #726 of 1,431

Quote:
It's already shipped 2 days ago :/

I only read about this yesterday when I was curious and read about the ebay feedbacks and noticed that almost all Canadian buyers were complaining about UPS and the ridiculous brokerage fees.

These M50 had BETTER sound better than typical $200 headphones, since I'll be blowing that much money on em, haha.

dont mean to pick in the wound but for 200 you could get the sennhd25 (my fav portable) 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 18, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #727 of 1,431
Guilty as charged for owning a pair of these and loving them
How many years am i sentenced? :D

Anyways, i love em.
i use my J3 with em.

I changed the padding too for this weather. The beyerdyanmics which were going to be used for my MDR-V6 before they died fit perfectly into my M50.
The padding is great and feels great. no more sweating after 30 or 40 minutes of usage. :D

Any other mods that i can do to my m50 before i go back to page 1 and read the whole thread...
(please, i will do it..)
I keep reading good things bout the HD25's. Maybe i should grab a pair but for 200 dollars...
oh boy...

Anyways, it sucks that UPS is doing that to you.
The seller should have used USPS to avoid those charges. (assuming USPS wouldnt charge you an extra 60 bucks)

Mar 18, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #728 of 1,431
^ hello sir, which beyer pads are those? if they are velour i am interested in a set. velour pads simply cant be beat, comfort-wise.

and if you check out the hd25 apreciation thread, a guy posted a code to get the adidas version for about 177$

Mar 19, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #729 of 1,431
I don't have any amp or dac right now, as I am using my M50 mostly with my J3. When i use the M50 with my laptop, I just use the headphone out.

I know ATH-M50 doesn't need an amp and all, but since my future upgrade would most likely be HD650, I'm trying to buy a DAC and an amp. I can't buy everything all at once, and there is no need to, so I am thinking about buying one by one. My most logical step is DAC, amp, then the HD650, since DAC and amp can be used with my current headphone as well. 

And with M50 being so easily driven, I wanted to know if I'd be able to clearly hear the difference when using the good old HO of my laptop and when using a DAC. Moreover, I would also like to know if the driving strength of an amp (basically any sonic difference between using a weak amp like e7 or a stronger amp like the m-stage) can also be noticed with my M50...

Do any of you guys have experience in this?

I think even with my simple Fiio e5, the m50s sound quite better than unamped

Mar 19, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #730 of 1,431

Quote:
^ hello sir, which beyer pads are those? if they are velour i am interested in a set. velour pads simply cant be beat, comfort-wise.

and if you check out the hd25 apreciation thread, a guy posted a code to get the adidas version for about 177$

I believe the Beyer pads (and the Pearstone ones) are this ones right here

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/313962-REG/Beyerdynamic_942704_Padded_Earcushions_for_DT250_DT280.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/645787-REG/Pearstone_9081860_Deluxe_Earpads_Pair_.html

Yes they are the Velour pads.
I grabbed them once and tried to see if they fit my m50 since the m50 and the v6 share some similarities physically and it fitted!

Here are some pics

and here is a thread discussing these pads for the mdrv6 and 7506

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/94836/sony-mdr-v6-7506-beyer-pad-mod-with-pics-lots

They seem a little dirty may be because i had them out in the open when my mdr v6 died. It was 2 or 3 months out in the open so when i decided to packaged them in somewhere, they were very dusty =/
The dust overwhelmed them lol and i belive the flash took out their black color too. They dont look grey at all

Mar 19, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #731 of 1,431
How do those velour pads affect the sound?

Mar 19, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #732 of 1,431
that looks super comfortable, so much that it makes me feel sleepy.

so if i get them i could use them on the v6 and also the m50 ... which it was that easy to find some for the denon hp700.

how does the bass change with the new pads? bass is the most affected with the transition from platter to velour.

Mar 22, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #735 of 1,431
Velour is comfy but they're kinda boring though. I had the Sennheiser HD555, liked the pads but I always wanted something leather. Does anyone know where we can get extra soft leather filled with memory foam like the ones found in MDR-XB500/700/1000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back