The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Mar 23, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #736 of 1,431
I have now enjoyed the first ten minutes with my new ATH M-50. The sound is just great. One month ago i bought the AKG K272hd. I loved the instrument separation and the clarity of the mids but i felt that something was missing. I feel that no more. Everything is right here. The sound is fuller with a nice low end. Bye-bye AKG, welcome AT.

Mar 23, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #737 of 1,431
Ditto sandwichman, I received my $200 M50 earlier today and enjoyed it too.

Though I must say, without burn in these babies SHRIEK in the treble department, in a slightly ear-piercing way. Gotta leave em singing for a few nights.

The build quality is indeed really great. Love the coiled cabling (really classy). I'll be using it for a few weeks before modding it (depending on how I perceive the bass, might try the tape mod).

Will keep you guys updated on the burning-in business.

Mar 24, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #738 of 1,431
you guys have no idea to make it look nice , check out mine. it's so perfect. that I feel coil version is more bulky than this loop i made with straight line. 

makes me happy that I got the coiled.

:D

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #739 of 1,431
Coiled beats straight any day of the week lol. Instead of wasted potential (excess straight cables), why not coil it and be able to extend at will? It's gonna be the same WEIGHT of cable anyhow, just a different configuration.

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #740 of 1,431

Quote:
Ditto sandwichman, I received my $200 M50 earlier today and enjoyed it too.

Though I must say, without burn in these babies SHRIEK in the treble department, in a slightly ear-piercing way. Gotta leave em singing for a few nights.

The build quality is indeed really great. Love the coiled cabling (really classy). I'll be using it for a few weeks before modding it (depending on how I perceive the bass, might try the tape mod).

Will keep you guys updated on the burning-in business.

Did you say...
...$200...
...ATH-M50...?

You... you bought them...
...at MSRP?

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #741 of 1,431
Not exactly...I'm in Canada, so if I buy local, it WILL be at MSRP. So I bought from Ebay and had it shipped from the US. $120. Plus $20 shipping.

The problem was the shipping. It was UPS Standard Int'l Shipping. Which meant hidden $40 brokerage fee for items over $100, plus $20 in GST tax.

So yeah, it totaled at $200.

Sounds great though, been burning it for the past 20 hours and it's getting better and better.

But no more UPS ever for me, IT'S A SCAM I TELL YA!

Quote:
Did you say...
...$200...
...ATH-M50...?

You... you bought them...
...at MSRP?

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #742 of 1,431
Wow. That's some crazy shipping scheme. At least the story has a happy ending. 
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #743 of 1,431

Quote:
Wow. That's some crazy shipping scheme. At least the story has a happy ending. 
wink.gif

Here's the best part though.

My roommate bought a Shure SRH750DJ a few months back. So all the time I've been reading up on ATH M50 here at HFi, there were lots of threads contemplating on how the SRH750 was a very competitive match against the M50. This made me worried about how I might have been better off also getting a SRH750 instead of the M50.

Well, roommate just came back and I asked him to lend the Shures to me for 10 mins to do some comparison. Guess what? The Shure got beaten in every way possible...

Build quality? The SRH750 was a plasticky piece of junk compared to the M50, the 750 creaked at every touch, sound hollow when you tap on it, and was loose all over. The M50, on the other hand, was solid high-grade plastic reinforced with metal, with smooth precision-crafted joints with absolutely no creaking at all.

Comfort? The SRH750 has a very unforgivingly small range of head-size adjustment in its head band, an absurd amount of clamping force, overly hard pleather cushions (not caused by roommate's usage, I recall the pleather being this hard since he bought it last year), and horrendous point-pressure at the tip of the skull due to the spongebob shape of the head band. Pretty much the opposite for the M50.

Now comes the good part, the sound. I was surprised to find that the SRH750 sounded rather anemic in the bass department compared to the M50; the 750 bass sounded MAYBE JUST A BIT smoother but hey it was burned in already, in terms of amount, deepness, and punchiness, on the other hand, M50 got it, hands down. They both had slightly recessed mids, however the M50's mids presented much more accuracy, and voices had way more fidelity to them...SRH750's presentation of voices was slightly metallic and not quite fully there. The treble extension and presence was nice in both pairs of cans though.

Needless to say, I handed the Shures back to the roommate with a big smile on my face.

Mar 25, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #745 of 1,431
question, do ath m50 get about 220-240$ price, or should i get something else?... i mean in europe they have other prices... here, any sennheiser is cheap, any akg is normal priced, sony is cheaper, and anything else is a lot more expensive, at least they have some of them....... for example grados are about +30$ for any model.... in this time shure srh 440 are 150$, and i stil buyed them, and shure 840 are 250$.... ath m50 is somewhere about shure 840, and other brands do not really exist... in my country does not exist anything like ultrastone, beats, or more expensive headphones.... the only pair that is expensive and alavaible is sennheiser hd800 for 1300$, nothing else.... and stax, and grados.... these can be found overpriced..... but besides these, nothing else..... this is my country, and europe.... so, back to my question, do ath m50 make 250$?.... and is there anything that you could recomend me?....

Mar 25, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #746 of 1,431
I own a pair of HD555 and a pair of M50s and honestly I really prefer the sound of the M50s. It's not neutral but it's a nice sound. I paid around 200$ for the HD555 but prefer the M50S. So, yes, I think 250$ is worth it. When amped, the M50 really shine! Deep bass, really defined highs without sibilance (for me, HJE900 are sibilant) and recessed mids.

Mar 25, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #747 of 1,431
Yeah I do NOT regret paying $200 for my M50s even though I'm in Canada. Not one cent is wasted for this awesome sound quality + build quality + comfort. It's....perfect!

Quote:
question, do ath m50 get about 220-240$ price, or should i get something else?... i mean in europe they have other prices... here, any sennheiser is cheap, any akg is normal priced, sony is cheaper, and anything else is a lot more expensive, at least they have some of them....... for example grados are about +30$ for any model.... in this time shure srh 440 are 150$, and i stil buyed them, and shure 840 are 250$.... ath m50 is somewhere about shure 840, and other brands do not really exist... in my country does not exist anything like ultrastone, beats, or more expensive headphones.... the only pair that is expensive and alavaible is sennheiser hd800 for 1300$, nothing else.... and stax, and grados.... these can be found overpriced..... but besides these, nothing else..... this is my country, and europe.... so, back to my question, do ath m50 make 250$?.... and is there anything that you could recomend me?....

Mar 26, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #749 of 1,431

Quote:

[size=medium]
I wouldnt pay more than 120$ for my m50. but that is my personal opinion.
if sennheisers are cheap, you should consider a HD25 then, i dont mean to fight in the M50 apreciation thread, im here because I enjoy the M50!, but the HD25 beats them in every aspect.
[/size]

Mar 26, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #750 of 1,431
Well not necessarily. The HD25 offers better clarity, more accurate bass, isolates better, and is lighter. However, they are both of great build quality, plus the M50 has better sound stage, more bass and deeper bass extension, it sounds more musical and fun than HD25, also it's circumaural rather than supraaural, which many might prefer for the sake for comfort.

Quote:

[size=medium]
I wouldnt pay more than 120$ for my m50. but that is my personal opinion.
if sennheisers are cheap, you should consider a HD25 then, i dont mean to fight in the M50 apreciation thread, im here because I enjoy the M50!, but the HD25 beats them in every aspect.
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back