The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Feb 16, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #617 of 1,431
AH D2000 has more midbass and bigger soundstage compared to M50..
and a sweeter mids i think..
M50 trumps the rest..
:D

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #618 of 1,431
^^ Sweeter mids. Yeah, that could be said. And soundstage, absolutely wider in the D2k.
And I would say not just mid-bass, but the overall low end is more pumped-up.

And for trumping the rest... well, I still have the M50. 
wink_face.gif

Feb 16, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #619 of 1,431

Quote:
Like I said it's been a year now, and they've been treated very well, however they're starting to show wear. The pleather pads are starting to crack, which is no biggy. I remember reading about replacement pads that you can purchase, but this isn't what's got me concerned. After using them so much, the headphone jack is starting to show signs of wear. The gold plating has been worn down and is absent right in the middle. Should I be concerned? Will this effect audio quality if it continues wearing away?

Anyways, any kind of reply would be helpful. 
jecklinsmile.gif

Just get some new pads, your M50 is fine.  Gold is used for corrosion resistance, shouldn't affect anything audibly.

Quote:
I am still amazed by m50\s clarity, intrument seperation and sound stage . that is after 200 hours of burn in. 

Agreed.  I was surprised from my listening my balance modded M50 had better clarity and blacker background than the HD555, Shure 840 and the HFI 580.  Wasn't expecting that when I AB'd them.

Quote:
Do the HFI-580s having greater extension in the low end?  I find the M50s don't go quite as deep as I would like. 

Can't say for sure since it's been awhile since I heard both side by side to comment on the sub bass.  I would say the 580 might have more 'apparent' sub bass since it is tighter and more 'balanced' bass allowing the sub extension to come through.  Neither is Honda rattling sub levels that make your neck hairs stand up.  Take my opinion on that w/ a grain of salt, I would only refer you to a graph to offer some better guidance.

Feb 16, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #620 of 1,431
woooo.. just received my M50 today 
biggrin.gif
. been listening to them for a few minutes now and they sound amazing to me. these are my first "real" set of headphones, so i don't have much to compare to, but i'm super happy with my purchase 
beyersmile.png
. I ordered from B&H last friday and got them in today (wednesday).

anyways, here are some crappy pics from my iphone. nothing you guys haven't seen before, but i'm just super excited.

Feb 16, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #621 of 1,431
Congrats on your purchase, JH4DC5! These were my first "real" headphones too and I'm enjoying them a lot as well! Time for you to get some high quality music files now if you don't already have some.
wink_face.gif

And those pics from your iphone look pretty good! Not grainy, like I expected it to be. =)

Quote:
woooo.. just received my M50 today 
biggrin.gif
. been listening to them for a few minutes now and they sound amazing to me. these are my first "real" set of headphones, so i don't have much to compare to, but i'm super happy with my purchase 
beyersmile.png
. I ordered from B&H last friday and got them in today (wednesday).

anyways, here are some crappy pics from my iphone. nothing you guys haven't seen before, but i'm just super excited.

Feb 16, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #622 of 1,431
thanks! i definitely need to get some better music files. i have some flac files that i'm listening to now and they sound really good. im running them through my x-fi titanium HD on my computer and i dont think i could ask for more.

Feb 16, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #624 of 1,431
Nothing beats M50, baby, hell no, nothing can beat the sound of m50. not even my koss ksc75 has the sound quality of m50. I feel like I am on the top of world with my m50 headphone in hand haha 

Feb 16, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #626 of 1,431
Its still hard to believe that the M50s killed the IEM market for me.  No idea whether its a reflection on the M50s, headphones, or IEMs, but it was shocking to say the least.  They are certainly good for the money.

Feb 16, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #627 of 1,431
I am sure there are IEM that are really good. but they would be very pricy.m50 provide very good sound for only 150 dollar that's the deal breaker for me. cuz I am not getting beat monster studio for 300 for that matter. 

Feb 17, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #630 of 1,431
nope, M50 doesnt need an amp..
but the burson HA160 modded really improves the mid on this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back