The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Feb 15, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #601 of 1,431

Quote:
So not to take any current conversations off track, but I have a question for fellow M50 owners.

I've had my ATH-M50s for over a year now (I think).  They've completely made obsolete $400+ of IEMs as now I can't listen to any of my IEMs because they don't sound as great as my M50s (JVC FX500, Ety ER-4P, ER6, UE Super.fi 5 Pro) as well as being my first high end pair of headphones.  Not sure if the form factor has something to do with it, but I was always told that the best sound quality for your money is found in IEMs.

So I'm a metal-head.  For a reference I'm now addicted to Swallow the Sun, Dark Tranquility, and As I lay Dying.  No headphone has ever rendered my chosen genre as well to my ears.  I couldn't really figure out what made the M50s so much better to me, but I think it is the neutrality, the much more balanced mids than what I'm used to, and the lack of the clinical sound that the Ety's are famous for.  They also have just enough bass for my taste for Metal, which the Ety's really lacked for me, but aren't necessarily as bass heavy as some make it out to be, at least in my opinion.  I blame this on the FX500s for their amazing quantity and quality of bass. 

The FX500s have forced a new genre on to me, dubstep, which they dominate over the M50s in.  Which finally brings to me to my actual point.  I find that the M50s aren't quite as tight in the bass department as I would like, and don't really extend as deep as I would like.  I'm going to be honest with you, I know just enough to know that it could be a lot of things.  I'm not sure if the M50s really don't go nearly as deep and aren't quite so tight in the bass department as my FX500s, if its my source which is the stock realtek audio on my P55 motherboard, and/or if its a lack of amplification.  I'm wondering if its the ladder because I tend to listen to music at 100% volume, which is plenty loud yet it doesn't quite hurt my ears (obviously).  The onboard sound quality on this motherboard does blow away anything I've ever plugged a headphone/IEM into including Cowon players, but that might not mean much.

Any suggestions or opinions on the matter?  If it is the M50s, any suggestions for similar sounding cans that might satisfy my needs?

If you want tighter and punchier, may I suggest Ultrasone HFI-580's?

Feb 15, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #603 of 1,431

Quote:
How would you say they compare throughout the other ranges?

x2 on bass being punchier and tighter w/ more micro detail but less reverb, decay and 'texture' being a tossup depending how you define it.  The mids are more neutral across the whole range and are quite impressive at the right price compared to the competition.  The treble is brighter on the HFI580 as well.  Compared to the M50 the 580 has a slightly more colored timbre which is fine for your genres.  For a more neutral 'audiophile' type of sound that is still fun the Sennheiser HD558 with and without basic mod would be a good alternative/complement to the M50.  This is coming from someone that has detested most Sennheiser products for almost the last 20 years or so.   

Feb 15, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #605 of 1,431
An amp is a good option if your only complaint is that you want tighter bass. An amp will give you tighter more detailed bass, better dynamics and punch throughout the spectrum, better soundstage and instrument separation.

Feb 15, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #606 of 1,431

Quote:
x2 on bass being punchier and tighter w/ more micro detail but less reverb, decay and 'texture' being a tossup depending how you define it.  The mids are more neutral across the whole range and are quite impressive at the right price compared to the competition.  The treble is brighter on the HFI580 as well.  Compared to the M50 the 580 has a slightly more colored timbre which is fine for your genres.  For a more neutral 'audiophile' type of sound that is still fun the Sennheiser HD558 with and without basic mod would be a good alternative/complement to the M50.  This is coming from someone that has detested most Sennheiser products for almost the last 20 years or so.   

Dude, I'm considering scoring a 558. I really want to experiment with open cans- specifically ones that seem as different as possible when contrasted with my HFI-580's

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #607 of 1,431
I came on these forums about a year ago looking for suggestions for a nice set of cans that weren't going to dent my wallet. After looking around for probably 2 weeks and reading hundreds of reviews I finally settled on the ATH-M50's. I've used them extensively since then, and by extensively, I mean like every freaking day! 
biggrin.gif
 I absolutely love them. I never truly appreciated the muscianship in my music until I started listening to it on them.

Like I said it's been a year now, and they've been treated very well, however they're starting to show wear. The pleather pads are starting to crack, which is no biggy. I remember reading about replacement pads that you can purchase, but this isn't what's got me concerned. After using them so much, the headphone jack is starting to show signs of wear. The gold plating has been worn down and is absent right in the middle. Should I be concerned? Will this effect audio quality if it continues wearing away?

Anyways, any kind of reply would be helpful. 
jecklinsmile.gif

Feb 15, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #609 of 1,431

Quote:
I came on these forums about a year ago looking for suggestions for a nice set of cans that weren't going to dent my wallet. After looking around for probably 2 weeks and reading hundreds of reviews I finally settled on the ATH-M50's. I've used them extensively since then, and by extensively, I mean like every freaking day! 
biggrin.gif
 I absolutely love them. I never truly appreciated the muscianship in my music until I started listening to it on them.

Like I said it's been a year now, and they've been treated very well, however they're starting to show wear. The pleather pads are starting to crack, which is no biggy. I remember reading about replacement pads that you can purchase, but this isn't what's got me concerned. After using them so much, the headphone jack is starting to show signs of wear. The gold plating has been worn down and is absent right in the middle. Should I be concerned? Will this effect audio quality if it continues wearing away?

Anyways, any kind of reply would be helpful. 
jecklinsmile.gif

The pads should be replaced after being worn down enough (Then again, I dont know how worn yours are) also, I don't think the plating on the jack is needed, or will change the SS or SQ too much if removed, but then again, I am not a master on cables either.

Feb 15, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #610 of 1,431
Do you guys know if there are velur pads for them?

I hate the thing, that thease little replacement parts cost so much. Marketers know people will have to buy them, so thay set the highest price people would pay without changing whole HPs. F*n tips for IEMs (not customs) that cost (I assume) few cents in production can go for half a daily wage of average citzen.

Feb 15, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #611 of 1,431

Quote:

Do the HFI-580s having greater extension in the low end?  I find the M50s don't go quite as deep as I would like. 

Quote:
Do you guys know if there are velur pads for them?

I hate the thing, that thease little replacement parts cost so much. Marketers know people will have to buy them, so thay set the highest price people would pay without changing whole HPs. F*n tips for IEMs (not customs) that cost (I assume) few cents in production can go for half a daily wage of average citzen.

There is a large thread about alternative pads on the forums.  I think the general consensus was that the velour pads ruined the sound.

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #613 of 1,431
So according to a customer service rep at Scitscat.com, they've received 700 requests for the ATH-m50s in this month alone. As far as I could tell, they were the only place on the internet that had them for under $130. These headphones have apparently become incredibly popular recently.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #614 of 1,431
For general pop music use would you recommend the HFI-580 or the M50(s)?

My HD800 + EQ is good for pop music, too, but since it's not a closed headphone, the bass tends to spread and has mediocre to good kick/punch.

HD800 is just a 100% classical music thing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #615 of 1,431

Quote:
So according to a customer service rep at Scitscat.com, they've received 700 requests for the ATH-m50s in this month alone. As far as I could tell, they were the only place on the internet that had them for under $130. These headphones have apparently become incredibly popular recently.
smily_headphones1.gif

BHphotovideo has them for 119 shipped. Problem is, they run out of stock quick =]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back