The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Feb 17, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #632 of 1,431

Quote:
Its still hard to believe that the M50s killed the IEM market for me.  No idea whether its a reflection on the M50s, headphones, or IEMs, but it was shocking to say the least.  They are certainly good for the money.

I had similar experience w/ my M50.  The DBA-02 brought me back to IEM's.  Both would be great goto products for someones inventory that complement each other well.  Now I'm equally preoccupied w/ both sadly though more focused on IEMs atm due to better versatility and price/performance ratios.  In the low-fi game headphones have the physical advantage in price/performance.  In the money mad hi-fi game the pendulum can swing back the other way unless you are one that just doesn't like IEMs at all.  

Feb 17, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #633 of 1,431
Right.
For me it depends on utility.
The cans are for either local / mobile or stationary (M50), or local / stationary (D7000, DT880).
The IEM's are for away / active: gym, run / hike, transit (DBA-02, UM2).

All that aside. The most 'all-round' device is still the M50. Above all. It is relatively portable, rugged, moderately isolating, comfortable and easily produces a sound that is to my liking. It is also very easy to apply - remove. The DBA-02's run a close second here, but for 'deserted island' criteria... I'd need an unlimited supply of Comply's. 
wink_face.gif

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #636 of 1,431
I've had the M50s for over 5 months now but have only put about 25 hours on them, main problem for me is that it makes my ears so hot after about 30 minutes and I have to take them off, though the sound is great, if only there was someway or maybe a inbuilt A/C in the M50s? LOL It'd be perfect :)

But never the less listening to Alicia Keys- The diary of alicia keys in AAC is amazing <3
I actually thought about selling the M50s and getting the TMA-1s after reading that review saying that the TMA's are better than the m50s but after listening to this album I don't think I want them to go anywhere anytime soon:)

Feb 19, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #642 of 1,431
DJ1 is better than the M50 in terms of bass and mid tho...
but loses in soundstage, treble, detail and comfort...

Feb 19, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #643 of 1,431
What do you think is better, folded up straight cable or coiled cable? I'll be using this mostly at home(or outdoors if they're that good :D) for short distances and I heard that the coiled one is heavy in the pocket.

Feb 19, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #644 of 1,431
A straight cable is more comfortable for me.

I had several headphones with coiled cables and I didn't like it very much, because of its weight that "hangs in the air" while wearing the headphones.

Feb 19, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #645 of 1,431

Quote:
how is the m50 with hip hop and rnb? i like a lot of base, but i don't want to sacrifice mids and highs either

They should be perfect, given that the bit rate of the files are decent, I find the M50s to be perfect for Hip hop, R&B and rap, though IMO the mids are lacking for bands such as Silverstein, Devil Driver, Parkway Drive etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back