The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Dec 31, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #391 of 1,431
my M50 is the newer batch..
but unfortunately i got a hard pad, the pad pleather is like a car seat. 
it dont offer as good isolation, but i think the SQ is not affected much..

i A/B'd the newer and the older batch, and the newer batch is slightly better sounding, because of the more agrresive mid from the older batch..

Jan 4, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #392 of 1,431

Quote:
my M50 is the newer batch..
but unfortunately i got a hard pad, the pad pleather is like a car seat. 
it dont offer as good isolation, but i think the SQ is not affected much..

i A/B'd the newer and the older batch, and the newer batch is slightly better sounding, because of the more agrresive mid from the older batch..

dude i've had mine for about 3-4 months now and the pleather is cracking all around and you'd be wise to put the headphone around a small pillow overnight because the pressure and heat really gets to ya'. PS: Don't yank the cord out of a socket by anything but the chrome plug (my spring came out of the socket and it's kinda annoying).

Jan 5, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #393 of 1,431
If I dropped my M50 slightly, or if I traveled to high altitudes with the headphones and listened to them, is there possibility the diaphragm might have problems? Just curious, since I'm about to take a trip to mountain and am planning to listening to it on the long drive.

Jan 5, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #394 of 1,431

Quote:
If I dropped my M50 slightly, or if I traveled to high altitudes with the headphones and listened to them, is there possibility the diaphragm might have problems? Just curious, since I'm about to take a trip to mountain and am planning to listening to it on the long drive.

Dropping perhaps, altitude no.  

Jan 5, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #396 of 1,431

Quote:
So, if no physical damage was done to the headphone, altitude change would not affect sound quality?

Unless you are in the Himalayas I doubt you would notice much difference in SQ.  The vacuum of space might be a different story, haven't tried it myself.  Yet....

Jan 7, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #398 of 1,431
no its not neckable..
the cup is too big to be neckable..
even if the headband is extended the furthest.

but it depends on how big your neck size

Jan 7, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #399 of 1,431
I am 6'3" and I can neck it all day long and that is only on 5 notches.

Quote:
no its not neckable..
the cup is too big to be neckable..
even if the headband is extended the furthest.

but it depends on how big your neck size

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #401 of 1,431

Neckable. I'm 5'10" with an average build, and as you can see, it's fine with the cups down. If you have them up, you can't look down at all.

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #402 of 1,431
My new M50s were waiting for me after I got home from work :)

Still working on hour 1. Initial impressions are good. Comfort-wise I think they'll be an improvement over my on-ear Denons for long listening sessions. I'll run them in overnight and do more listening tomorrow.

Jan 8, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #404 of 1,431
Sorry if this has been posted before...I was just watching the live in-studio footage that came with the John Legend & the Roots: Wake Up! Album from iTunes and it looks like John Legend is wearing M50s (or maybe it's another AT can but they look like M50s)!

If they are good enough for John Legend, they're good enough for me, lol :rolleyes:

Jan 9, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #405 of 1,431

Quote:
Sorry if this has been posted before...I was just watching the live in-studio footage that came with the John Legend & the Roots: Wake Up! Album from iTunes and it looks like John Legend is wearing M50s (or maybe it's another AT can but they look like M50s)!

If they are good enough for John Legend, they're good enough for me, lol
rolleyes.gif

Yup those are M50's for sure.  Makes sense as he is a Piano guy.  They have that nice rich, natural timbre and resonance and decay that really shines on good Piano sources.  The next best I've heard in that regard are the D7000 (M50 being more 'fun' in that regard) and hopefully my T50rp when I'm done modding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back