The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Oct 7, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #287 of 1,431

Quote:

Hi,
For the people who want to know about the m50 vs hd25: the www.headfonia.com closed can shootout also contains a section about the hd25 in comparisont o the m50. You will have to search for the review though because it was posted beginning of august.
A friend of mine has the hd25-1 (my old one actually). In the past this was my favourite portable can and it is still the king of portability, sturdiness and sound isolation. IF sound isolation is th emost important for you gofor the hd25 or alternatively the akg k181dj.
I compared the m50 and the hd25-1 briefly last week when i visited my friend. TO ME the m50 is more comfortable, although the hd25 sits more securely on the head and blocks out more noise.
I prefer the sound of the m50 because it has a wider soundstage, a broader frequency response, not as much emphasis on the bass and just sounds mor eopen. The hd25 has imho a bit rolled of fhighs and at times a too much emphasis on the bass. I have not tried recabling it and this comparison was done on a home stereo.
For me, if i just olook at sound and comfort the m50 is the winner. it also isolates reasonably well and folds up to a reasonable bundle, as soon as i do something about that cable.
Greetings, Anouk,

Thanks, this reconfirmed my correct choise of oredering HD25-1. Later i might pick up m50's for home use. thanks again!

Oct 10, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #289 of 1,431
Got a pair of teh M50's off amazon a couple months ago.  They sound amazing.  They're my first pair of higher-end headphones, and they're great, especially in my apartment.  All you hear is music.  I don't have to worry about my roommate talkin to his buds over steam, and whether its playing classical / soundtracks while I'm studying, to dubstep, house, glitch, RnB, and techno while im not, they sound great.  For $98 off amazon, they're the greatest ever.  Even if you're looking at headphones for around $50 or $60, just  suck it up and get these.

Oct 10, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #290 of 1,431
Oct 11, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #292 of 1,431
i'd like to share my EQ for M50s no mods. adjustments were made using freq chart provided by headroom as refrence.

Oct 12, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #294 of 1,431
lol. that's great. im still new to foobar and EQ, your inputs can be helpful to me.
my goal was to achive a flat response, but the dip at 14k is hard to balance out, so i raise everything by +2dB to begin with.
the low end is pretty flat now. highs are at best possible but no where near flat.
440 to 3.5k are pretty flat at stock, i have them +2dB to compensate recessed mids. i suggest ppl play with this range to set it for individual preference.

Quote:
Scary... I have exactly the same  EQ settings for those headphones =D

Oct 12, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #295 of 1,431
I just bought thease (used, so I can resell them with little loss/gain), waiting for their arival
smily_headphones1.gif

I wonder if they will meet my sonic preferences
Thread I started when I was looking for IEMs, with my expectations and music I listen to.
If not for fun I still could use them for learning music production basics.
BTW, I've got a question for owners: do you find them really portable? I know they're easy to drive and quite good isolating, but aren't they heavy or are there any other issues with them?
pzdr and thanks in advance!

Oct 12, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #296 of 1,431
They fold up nicely, and I would consider wearing them in public unlike my AD700's.  Those giant purple beasts would just attract all sorts of looks haha.  

The only issue with portability would be the cable length.  If you have some basic DIY electronics skills that problem could be easily fixed though.  

Oct 13, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #298 of 1,431
They are fine as portable phones. Sure they are a little big, but they look good and fold flat around your neck. I have the coiled version, so cord length is not a issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back