The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Sep 30, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #256 of 1,431
Really diggin the E30.

Quote:
First post here! I'm Neil :hi:

Just picked up a pair of these after some research and I definitely love them right out of the box. I'm running them through the burn in period as people have mentioned, I hope that's a good thing... Anyway, I look forward to posting here more in the future! 

Look out for some sexy pics of these bad boys sometime tomorrow. I love teh bokeh so much :xf_eek:mnomnom:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neil1138

Oct 1, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #257 of 1,431
So uh, got myself a pair of these. Superb! Quick question though... I noticed if I stand up and just let the (coiled) cord dangle, and I turn my head from left to right, right to left, etc., I can hear a little clicking sound that is probably coming from the wire on the left side of the 'phones. Does anyone know what this might be/if it's a problem?

I also noticed that the cable can be barely pushed in/pulled out while still remaining...in... (if that makes sense... just kinda like moving it the slightest bit, nothing actually coming out lol)) where it enters the left side of the headphones -- and I mean barely. Is this common? Is it a problem?

Thanks!

Oct 1, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #258 of 1,431

Quote:
So uh, got myself a pair of these. Superb! Quick question though... I noticed if I stand up and just let the (coiled) cord dangle, and I turn my head from left to right, right to left, etc., I can hear a little clicking sound that is probably coming from the wire on the left side of the 'phones. Does anyone know what this might be/if it's a problem? (extra info: I also noticed that the cable can be barely pushed in/pulled out -- and I mean barely. Is this common? Is it a problem?)

Thanks!

Microphonics or a loose connection?  If you are banging the cable you might transmit the sound to your ears.  

Oct 1, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #262 of 1,431

Quote:
I've had these for a good part of the day and I'm definitely enjoying them. I feel like I robbed the person I made the trade with but he seems happy with the trade so we both win
smily_headphones1.gif
These aren't too hard to drive with my J3 and with my dac/amp they sound better. I'll admit I did around zero research before making the trade but I knew I could sell them pretty easily if I did not like it. They probably do get a bit hot after some time but not as much as when I had the Denon D1001. Just out of curiosity are there any mods for these?

Yes, I think Anaxilus has a mod for the pads. Tames the bass... or something. (?) 
rolleyes.gif

I dunno... (as Billy Joel kinda say's) I love them just the way they are. Ugh. Oh crap, now that's a serious ear-worm.

Oct 2, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #263 of 1,431

Quote:
I've had these for a good part of the day and I'm definitely enjoying them. I feel like I robbed the person I made the trade with but he seems happy with the trade so we both win
smily_headphones1.gif
These aren't too hard to drive with my J3 and with my dac/amp they sound better. I'll admit I did around zero research before making the trade but I knew I could sell them pretty easily if I did not like it. They probably do get a bit hot after some time but not as much as when I had the Denon D1001. Just out of curiosity are there any mods for these?

At the moment I've got a bit of dampening inside the cups, have removed the felt plugs (as seen here) and stuffed the pads a little bit. I tried the "balance mod" here, but did not sound right to me.

Oct 2, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #264 of 1,431
I'll have to see if these are keepers first before I do anything to them. I typically don't do any mods unless I'm keeping them to keep resale value up. I should know in the next couple of days.

Although I usually don't have headphones due to practical use these are quite nice and I do like that they fold flat so it's easy to store. I'm thinking maybe I should get some open headphones instead if I go this way as I don't see much of the point of a closed headphone when I won't be using them for portable use but rather home or transportable but more likely home as my earphones are pretty capable and offer superior isolation. I do like their long cable as well. I can move across the room without taking them off which is nothing something I can do with earphones.

Oct 3, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #265 of 1,431
hey guys. my m50 sounds good with almost every instrument, except piano. anybody feel the same way?

Oct 3, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #266 of 1,431

Quote:
hey guys. my m50 sounds good with almost every instrument, except piano. anybody feel the same way?

I also feel that it's accuracy with the didgeridoo could be improved. Audio Technica should probably look into this problem and possibly do a recall.

Oct 3, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #268 of 1,431
Finally got mine yesterday.  Have had them breaking in ever since, probably up to like 10 hours or so now.  Pretty comfortable, but not as good as the ad700's which are non existent when you wear them.  

When I started listening I didn't change any settings on my xfi prelude, and the bass I added to beef up the sound on the ad700's made these sound muddy.  Finally I decided to change over to audio creation mode to try them out (the AD700's in audio creation mode sound horrible).  This was eye opening.  I actually have mids now.  The bass doesn't slam, but I'm only into bass when I'm in the car (12" diamonds!!!!).  

I find the treble to be a little bit brighter than the ad700, but it's not painfully bright so I can live with it.  Mids aren't on the same level as the ad700's.  I find them to add a little more life to the music in this area.  The bass is much more detailed and present on these though, which overall gives me a better music listening experience because I can now use audio creation mode.   Vocals are more detailed on the m50's, but just like I stated about mids I prefer the ad700's for their added life in this department.  

I'm sold on these, and I'm sure they will only get better further down the road once they are broken in.  It's funny how a pair of headphones can make me want to stay up till 3:00am listening to songs I've heard thousands of times before.  I'm already hearing things I've missed in previous plays.  

Oct 3, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #269 of 1,431
Agreeed, Can't have it all, especially for $100.

Quote:

Oct 3, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #270 of 1,431
thanks everyone for comfirming this. this is good to know so i can carefully build my music collection.

Quote:
I also feel that it's accuracy with the didgeridoo could be improved. Audio Technica should probably look into this problem and possibly do a recall.

Quote:
I agree, and I feel the same way about guitars, especially nylon stringed.
bands sound AWESOME.
but solos for these two instruments sound too cold imo.

Quote:
Agreeed, Can't have it all, especially for $100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back