The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Sep 29, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #241 of 1,431
Are you seriously running them from the headphone out of your Logitech speakers? I once tried that on my old Z5300s and it was one of the worst sounding sources ever. You'd be better off running them straight out of the soundcard.

Quote:
been wearing them for more than 6 hours today. i just can't stop smiling. it's getting kind of freaky.

Sep 29, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #242 of 1,431
haven't tried that yet, but planned to. it's late night here so i'll do that tomorow. i did asked about this before and was told to just max out the volume on the E7 not the other way around, and should be fine.

Sep 29, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #243 of 1,431
Listening to these after my HD555s has gotten a bit difficult! The HD555s are like the most comfortable headphones ever and the M50s feel like they're clamping pretty hard on my head now, whereas before, they actually felt kind of loose on my head.

But, I stick it out just because of how good these things sound. I love them so much!
beyersmile.png

Sep 30, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #244 of 1,431

Quote:
Listening to these after my HD555s has gotten a bit difficult! The HD555s are like the most comfortable headphones ever and the M50s feel like they're clamping pretty hard on my head now, whereas before, they actually felt kind of loose on my head.

But, I stick it out just because of how good these things sound. I love them so much!
beyersmile.png

Lol, I just had the same experience.  I never had any discomfort w/ my M50s before.  After the 555 the the M50 head pad felt like a wedge slamming into the top of my head.  WTH?!  My M50 headband just turned into an Ultrasone headband.  Weird.  Btw, if you think the 555 is comfortable you gotta try the ESP950 someday.  Feels like wearing air.

Edit - I just realized my settings were off on my M50 from being tossed into a box.  Still....

Sep 30, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #245 of 1,431
Try some Beyerdynamics. 2-3x more comfortable than the 555/580/600/650. Like pillows from heaven.

Quote:

beyersmile.png

Sep 30, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #246 of 1,431
First post here! I'm Neil :hi:

Just picked up a pair of these after some research and I definitely love them right out of the box. I'm running them through the burn in period as people have mentioned, I hope that's a good thing... Anyway, I look forward to posting here more in the future! 

Look out for some sexy pics of these bad boys sometime tomorrow. I love teh bokeh so much :xf_eek:mnomnom:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neil1138

Sep 30, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #247 of 1,431
I got these in a local trade and seem like a pretty good value at the $100 or so price they go for on Amazon. I think I got a great deal as I traded one o my earphones that I wasn't using for these today. It's been a while since I had a headphone as it's hard for me to find time for them since most of my listening is done on the go or not at home. They seem pretty comfortable but not as much as my AD700 but you can't really take those portable and expect to hear anything. I'm assuming there's proper time on them as the previous owner had them for around a month but they sound pretty good so far. I was expecting something like a bass monster or V shaped at this price range but it doesn't seem that way which is a good thing for me.

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #248 of 1,431
Welcome to the dark side, Luke....  
atsmile.gif

Sep 30, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #249 of 1,431

Quote:
Welcome to the dark side, Luke....  
atsmile.gif

rawrster....strike down shane and take your rightful place by my side!  Muahahaha!!  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 30, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #250 of 1,431
I've been trying my best to stay away from headphones..at least open full sized headphones and have done a good job so far. It's more expensive and takes up more space. Luckily for me I am not able to be at home for longer than ~4 hours a day not counting sleep so that doesn't give me much time for headphone listening and saves me money
smily_headphones1.gif
If my math is correct I'm saving hundreds of dollars by buying portable/transportable stuff instead!

lol Anaxilus
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #252 of 1,431
If you run them from a nice DAC, you should be surprised that cans at this price can sound so good. I put them on at 9PM yesterday and couldn't take them off until 4AM in the morning. My ears (and eyes) are sore and I feel like a zombie today :|

Quote:
If i'm lucky there will be an amazon box sitting on my front porch when I get home today.  The wait for these things has been brutal... 

Sep 30, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #253 of 1,431
Yep, the result wasn't good. i hear distortion at high 2/3 knob turn.

Quote:
Are you seriously running them from the headphone out of your Logitech speakers? I once tried that on my old Z5300s and it was one of the worst sounding sources ever. You'd be better off running them straight out of the soundcard.

Sep 30, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #254 of 1,431
I've had these for a good part of the day and I'm definitely enjoying them. I feel like I robbed the person I made the trade with but he seems happy with the trade so we both win
smily_headphones1.gif
These aren't too hard to drive with my J3 and with my dac/amp they sound better. I'll admit I did around zero research before making the trade but I knew I could sell them pretty easily if I did not like it. They probably do get a bit hot after some time but not as much as when I had the Denon D1001. Just out of curiosity are there any mods for these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back