The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Sep 19, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #211 of 1,431
Hi..me again.  i am sorry but i just have to praise these one more time because they truly deserve it. 
I have been using my marantz CD5001 and M50 combo for two days now (See my 3 previews posts) and didn't get tired of it.   for the first time i hear the M50 neutral and well balanced, now they really sound like "studio monitors".  the bass is tamed and the highs are smoothly extended, and the mids...oh the mids are very good.    
synergy is the key word here...giving the right combo and the M50 can truly shine and sound almost perfectly neutral.  the marantz cd player is bringing the highs and mids a little farward and  taming the bass by a big margin.      again..I don't know exactly if this is a result of the marantz not having enough power for their low impedance, but i really don't care because it sound on the spot.
I can truly say that this is the best "bang for the buck" audio product i ever bought.  thank you for reading my enthusiasem for the M50 one more time!

Sep 19, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #212 of 1,431

Quote:
Hi..me again.  i am sorry but i just have to praise these one more time because they truly deserve it. 
I have been using my marantz CD5001 and M50 combo for two days now (See my 3 previews posts) and didn't get tired of it.   for the first time i hear the M50 neutral and well balanced, now they really sound like "studio monitors".  the bass is tamed and the highs are smoothly extended, and the mids...oh the mids are very good.    
synergy is the key word here...giving the right combo and the M50 can truly shine and sound almost perfectly neutral.  the marantz cd player is bringing the highs and mids a little farward and  taming the bass by a big margin.      again..I don't know exactly if this is a result of the marantz not having enough power for their low impedance, but i really don't care because it sound on the spot.
I can truly say that this is the best "bang for the buck" audio product i ever bought.  thank you for reading my enthusiasem for the M50 one more time!

No worries... you're feelings are, and have been echoed by many. We are in complete agreement here. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 19, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #213 of 1,431

Quote:
No worries... you're feelings are, and have been echoed by many. We are in complete agreement here. 
beerchug.gif

thank you head fier shane!
bigsmile_face.gif
   it is just that i wasn't that impress in a long time.  I think i will prospond my search for a more neutral headphone since the M50 sound pretty neutral to me at the moment.    very close to the ety HF5 ,which i consider very flat/balanced.

Sep 19, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #214 of 1,431
Hey guys. I started a thread about this but I figure that this is a pretty good place to come. I currently own a pair of Portapros and am looking to upgrade to a pair of closed cans. After much research, this seems like the pair. How do these compare to the Portapros? Also, some people have told me that they leak sound; is this true?

Also, the age old question: straight or coiled cable? I'm usually listening at home on the computer, but I also want to use these phones to listen to some records and gaming (the receiver is about 10 feet away,) as well as drumming (I have an extension cord for these activities.) I also want to use them while working in which case I'd tuck an iPod into my pocket. Since I have an extension cord I'd normally go for the coiled, but I heard the coiled version can be an annoyance and can tug. Any opinions?

Thanks!

Sep 20, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #215 of 1,431
Just bought a pair of these off ebay and will hopefully be getting them in a few days. Will be interesting to see how my impressions match up with the hype they've gotten on Headfi, and also how they stack up to my HD650s/E530s. Hopefully they aren't too hard to drive as my main use for them would be straight out of a 3rd gen iPod Touch and some light gaming.

Sep 20, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #217 of 1,431
^^ Yep. Unless you are wanting to damage your hearing or your source files are extremely quiet... an iPod will work just fine. I have a Nano and a Classic. No issues with either.

Sep 20, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #218 of 1,431
They sound fantastic coming from an ipod/iphone. I love mine thru my 5.5g.

Sep 28, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #220 of 1,431
Pulled the trigger on a pair.  They are inbound from amazon.  This thread was pretty much the deciding factor for me to go for the m50's instead of dropping more money on my first closed can.  Can't wait to post some impressions when they arrive.

Sep 28, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #221 of 1,431

Quote:
Pulled the trigger on a pair.  They are inbound from amazon.  This thread was pretty much the deciding factor for me to go for the m50's instead of dropping more money on my first closed can.  Can't wait to post some impressions when they arrive.

Congrats on joining the M50 team.
wink_face.gif
  I hope you appreciate them as much as many members here do. Give them some time to burn in... and enjoy!

And please be sure to post some impressions.

shane

Sep 28, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #222 of 1,431
Got my M50s today. Too bad my right ear is half blocked due to my cold

Sep 28, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #223 of 1,431
So I have been creeping on the forums for a while now out of curiosity.  As much as I would like to go all in and start blowing money on high end setups I just could never justify it.  Especially since I already have other expensive hobbies.  Anyway all the buzz around the M50's got me curious and I figured it would be something worth while.  Anyway long story short I ordered a pair about 3 weeks ago and have been very satisfied with the sound quality.  Nothing fancy in my setup.  Usually right out of the iPhone 4 or MBP.

Sep 28, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #224 of 1,431
Congrats on your purchase. Glad you like the cans.

But 4 posts in two years ?!?! Slow down there pal !   
wink_face.gif

beyersmile.png

BTW... nice shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back