The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Sep 6, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #181 of 1,431
I just got my M50and am very satisfied with my purchase!
I have K701's and M50's and they each have their high's depending on
the type of music I'm listening to!

Sep 6, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #182 of 1,431
in the begining, i wasn't impressed by M50 at all. over rated was my first impression. it's been fully burned-in, balance modded since then. now im listening to Harmony by Biggie feat bone-thugs and loving it.

Sep 6, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #183 of 1,431

Quote:
in the begining, i wasn't impressed by M50 at all. over rated was my first impression. it's been fully burned-in, balance modded since then. now im listening to Harmony by Biggie feat bone-thugs and loving it.

Glad you stuck with it until they beat you into liking them... Not that the sound grows on you... but the sound really grows on you. 
wink_face.gif

About to throw mine on and enjoy the rest of the evening as I get myself ready for the work-week.

shane

Sep 7, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #184 of 1,431

[size=medium]
OK... been sitting here tonight listening. And since this is the official 'appreciation' thread... I'm really appreciating these cans.

The works for strings of John Jenkins (Fretwork performance). Stunning recording quality. I am just blown away at how good these (M50's) are. The instruments are right there... right there!
If you have these cans and are into Elizabethan Viol Musicke (and who isn't??
rolleyes.gif
 ), give the 5-disc set (for $14 !!! 
eek.gif
 ) a spin. Just astounding.

http://www.amazon.com/English-Music-Viols-5-CDs/dp/B001BSH0YO/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1283839087&sr=1-1-fkmr1

Enjoy.

shane
[/size]

Sep 7, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #185 of 1,431

Quote:

[size=medium]
OK... been sitting here tonight listening. And since this is the official 'appreciation' thread... I'm really appreciating these cans.

The works for strings of John Jenkins (Fretwork performance). Stunning recording quality. I am just blown away at how good these (M50's) are. The instruments are right there... right there!
If you have these cans and are into Elizabethan Viol Musicke (and who isn't??
rolleyes.gif
 ), give the 5-disc set (for $14 !!! 
eek.gif
 ) a spin. Just astounding.

http://www.amazon.com/English-Music-Viols-5-CDs/dp/B001BSH0YO/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1283839087&sr=1-1-fkmr1

Enjoy.

shane
[/size]

Sweet man!  Thanks!  I just added that to my cart along w/ Tarzan Boy by Baltimora.  
L3000.gif

Sep 7, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #186 of 1,431
ive only auditioned it for like 10 minutes and i immediately fall in love with it..

Utauyo!!MIRACLE sounds oh so amazing with deep bass and sparkly highs..

i definitely buying this one..

Sep 7, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #187 of 1,431

Quote:
ive only auditioned it for like 10 minutes and i immediately fall in love with it..

Um, yeah... 
wink_face.gif

Sep 7, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #188 of 1,431

Quote:
I'm listening to The Fountain soundtrack (beautiful really) in FLAC quality, and it's nothing short of amazing. How the [cluck] are these $120?

I know... with cans that are 3 or 4 times the cost (or more), I've been less astonished. I certainly expect more costly cans to be shockingly stunning, but yeah, why everyone doesn't have a pair of these sitting next to their LCD-2, T1, HD800... whatever, is beyond me. 
wink_face.gif

shane

Sep 7, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #189 of 1,431

Quote:
I know... with cans that are 3 or 4 times the cost (or more), I've been less astonished. I certainly expect more costly cans to be shockingly stunning, but yeah, why everyone doesn't have a pair of these sitting next to their LCD-2, T1, HD800... whatever, is beyond me. 
wink_face.gif

shane

Well, when Pianos, Cellos and Violins sound like the real thing there is just too much coloration going on there.  
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 16, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #190 of 1,431
new m50 owner here... my first set of real phones and am very pleased with them.

I'm only coming from lower end Sony in-ears so my exposure is non-existant to good sound, but I'm glad i found this forum which helped me to choose these as my first set
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #191 of 1,431
I wish I'd known about these two years ago when I bought my HD280 Pros! I totally would've skipped them and bought the M50s! Their sound quality is nothing short of amazing considering that they can be found for less than $100 in some areas.

Sep 16, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #192 of 1,431

Quote:

I think japanese music sounds especially good on the M50s.  Japanese rock and electronica have complex mixes that come through really naturally and well-balanced on the M50s!
You should listen to some ROUND TABLE Feat. Nino.

I think these cans are GREAT at making very clear sense of dense sound.

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #193 of 1,431
I figure this is the place to ask - is $95 a good price for a new pair of ATH-M50's?  Also, does anyone know if the ATH-M50 would be considered a big improvement over the MDR-V6?

Sep 16, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #195 of 1,431

Quote:
I figure this is the place to ask - is $95 a good price for a new pair of ATH-M50's?  Also, does anyone know if the ATH-M50 would be considered a big improvement over the MDR-V6?

I paid $110 for mine and I feel like I ripped Amazon off. These really are an exceptional value for the money. $95 is an amazing deal for these headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back