The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Nov 28, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #1,366 of 1,431
Hi ctowne,

If you have a higher configuration PC, you could try cPlay , link here, which loads the songs on to the RAM and hence is considered to be much better in terms of audio performance.
I used to use it on my computer which had 8GB RAM and it worked perfectly fine with both headphones and my analogue out audio card from M-audio.

Regards,
Prashant

Thanks for your help! I have a Lenovo Yoga 13 with a core i5 and 8gb of ram so that will handle it fine I would assume. The only thing I'm not sure about is the audio chip quality. The phones sound great and I can get good volume out of them but at low-ish volume the lows are not as strong as I would have thought they would be so I'm not sure if it's because I'm not using an amplifier or if it's the sound card in my computer. It sounds the same coming from my smartphone though. Again I do not have a amplifier for the headphones so that could be my problem. If anyone could suggest on that would be awesome because I'm a noob!

I may just be used to a good amount of bass because of the kicker L7 in my car.

Also, do you know if I can take the 3.5mm connector off and snip the cord to make it shorter and then just solder the connector back on?

Thanks for your help :thumbup:

Sent from my Moto X

Nov 28, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #1,367 of 1,431
Thanks for your help! I have a Lenovo Yoga 13 with a core i5 and 8gb of ram so that will handle it fine I would assume. The only thing I'm not sure about is the audio chip quality. The phones sound great and I can get good volume out of them but at low-ish volume the lows are not as strong as I would have thought they would be so I'm not sure if it's because I'm not using an amplifier or if it's the sound card in my computer. It sounds the same coming from my smartphone though. Again I do not have a amplifier for the headphones so that could be my problem. If anyone could suggest on that would be awesome because I'm a noob!

Also, do you know if I can take the 3.5mm connector off and snip the cord to make it shorter and then just solder the connector back on?

Sent from my Moto X

Hi ctowne,

You should be fine with the audio output from your laptop. Later when wallet permits you can consider getting a USB DAC ( since i presume would mostly listen to songs off of your computer ) like the SCHIIT MODI which is $99 and then you should be getting better output on your headphones.

Yes, you can snip the cord to make it shorter provided you're good at DIY :) should be easy. There is a thread here which shows pictures on the mods for ATH m50..

Regards,
Prashant D

Nov 28, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #1,370 of 1,431

Sent from my Moto X

Hi ctowne,

You should be fine with the audio output from your laptop. Later when wallet permits you can consider getting a USB DAC ( since i presume would mostly listen to songs off of your computer ) like the SCHIIT MODI which is $99 and then you should be getting better output on your headphones.

Yes, you can snip the cord to make it shorter provided you're good at DIY :) should be easy. There is a thread here which shows pictures on the mods for ATH m50..

Regards,
Prashant D

Alright thanks! I actually just installed poweramp pro on my phone and holy cow did that make a difference! ! The EQ in that app is awesome.

As far as the cable goes, I'll order a connector on eBay and do it once I receive that. I've got more than enough soldering experience under my belt so that won't be an issue!

I love these headphones

A USB DAC and maybe some EQ software might give you the thump you need. M50s respond nicely to EQ, I find. 

Poweramp pro actually made these sound so much better!

A USB DAC and maybe some EQ software might give you the thump you need. M50s respond nicely to EQ, I find. 

Right said, but even i like a good amount of tight bass, but havent had the requirement to use an EQ so far.
I have tried many EQ settings on my Cowon J3, but simply  didnt like them much.

Regards,
Prashant D

I'm just happy the bass goes down so low. These get much lower than my Bose QC2's (don't make fun of me)

Sent from my LG G2!

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #1,372 of 1,431
Alright thanks! I actually just installed poweramp pro on my phone and holy cow did that make a difference! ! The EQ in that app is awesome.

As far as the cable goes, I'll order a connector on eBay and do it once I receive that. I've got more than enough soldering experience under my belt so that won't be an issue!

I love these headphones

Poweramp pro actually made these sound so much better!

I'm just happy the bass goes down so low. These get much lower than my Bose QC2's (don't make fun of me)

Sent from my LG G2!

As long as you are happy with those headpones you should be good to go :)
Good luck with your mod on it.

Regards,
Prashant D

Nov 29, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #1,376 of 1,431
Another question! What do you guys use to clean your headphones?

Sent from my Moto X

Alcohol wipes.

Don't think that will work for me. I bought mine used and they smell like curry or something like that lol. I'm trying to get rid of the smell.

Oh and fyi Amazon has these for $104 today in case anyone is interested.

Sent from my LG G2!

Nov 30, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #1,378 of 1,431
  Hello everyone,

I am about to become an owner of the M50 cans too.
I see everyone mentions "tight" and "deep" bass.
I'm trying to get an idea of how much bass this product can truly handle.
For example, would the following subwoofer test track (sort of):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCYBvHvTOmk

be handled without distortion at moderate to high volume levels?

If you have software that allows for good EQ (Such as Foobar 2000) you can really turn the M50 into bass cannons. 

It won't distort playing that track at higher volumes.

Nov 30, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #1,379 of 1,431

If you have software that allows for good EQ (Such as Foobar 2000) you can really turn the M50 into bass cannons. 

It won't distort playing that track at higher volumes.

I like to disable any EQ, bass boost, effects etc. in order to hear whatever I am listening to "as is".
Do you feel that there is a need to mess with EQ in order to achieve higher quality bass when the music has deep bass? Or are you trying to say that you can turn the bass all the way up via EQ and the phones won't distort?

Nov 30, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #1,380 of 1,431

I like to disable any EQ, bass boost, effects etc. in order to hear whatever I am listening to "as is".
Do you feel that there is a need to mess with EQ in order to achieve higher quality bass when the music has deep bass? Or are you trying to say that you can turn the bass all the way up via EQ and the phones won't distort?

Depending on the EQ you use - if you're using a subtractive EQ, and attenuate the higher frequencies, the M50s will not distort at louder volumes. Ear-rattling bass goodness.

Without EQ, I don't personally find these cans to be very bass-heavy. Some people say they are - myself, and a lot of others, don't agree. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back