The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Nov 30, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #1,381 of 1,431

Depending on the EQ you use - if you're using a subtractive EQ, and attenuate the higher frequencies, the M50s will not distort at louder volumes. Ear-rattling bass goodness.

Without EQ, I don't personally find these cans to be very bass-heavy. Some people say they are - myself, and a lot of others, don't agree. 

Ok thanks. You've been most helpful.

Nov 30, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #1,383 of 1,431
Just got these yesterday.  Did some overnight burn-in and really like the way they sound.  

Compared to pretty much everyone here, I have very little experience with headphones.  My previous full-size headphones are Sennheiser HD 480, which I have had since the early 1990s and still like.  But the M50s just sound better to me - clearer, more musical - and for $104 on Amazon I feel like I have found what I was looking for. I ordered them earlier this week, when they were $131.25, but they are crediting me the difference - great customer service.

My thanks to all for sharing your knowledge and experiences.  It's really a blessing to guys like me.

Dec 2, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #1,384 of 1,431
Another question! What do you guys use to clean your headphones?

Sent from my Moto X

like White Lotus has said, alcochol wipes since i got mine new and hence had no other smell on it.
You could also consider removing the pads and wiping them with the wipes and keeping for a small duration outside..protected by a thin cloth to avoid direct sunlight(sun possibly.,... not too much since it can heat up depending your place).

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #1,387 of 1,431
I've got a request. 
Can someone take/find a picture of the white ATH-M50s with black ear pads?
I need to replace my ear pads but I can't seem to find cheap white ATH-M50 ear pads.
If the black ear pads look fine on the white headphones I'll probably buy them instead.

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #1,388 of 1,431
Dont know if this old thread is the place to post this or not, but here goes.
I ordered the black M50 with coiled cable yesterday off E-Bay from an authorized dealer for $99.98 free shipping.
The best headphones I have heard are my 20+ year old Sony MDR-V404,(which have been broke for 2 months). I almost got the 7506 because I figured it would have the same kind of sound, but better, than my old 404's.
When I came across the M50 for the exact same price I jumped on it. I have read all about both cans hear on head-fi, along with other reviews including you-tube, and I am 99.9% sure I made the right choice.
Without being able to listen to either, the M50 looks to be better built. The earpads look to be bigger/thicker, the wires from the earpieces to the headband are not exposed, and I like the fact the earpieces swivel. The cord and jack looks better built also.
I have been listening to some Sony ZX-100's I got at wally-world for 20 bucks for the last 2 months so I cant see being anything but impressed with the M50.
I will reply with my impressions after they arrive.

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #1,389 of 1,431
Borrowing my friend's pair of M50's for the day. Gosh do I love them.

EDIT:

Is it me or..
I feel like the claim of recessed mids is overexaggerated.  

Apr 14, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #1,390 of 1,431
I just got ATH-M50RD... lovin'em so far!:D

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #1,392 of 1,431
  Borrowing my friend's pair of M50's for the day. Gosh do I love them.

EDIT:

Is it me or..
I feel like the claim of recessed mids is overexaggerated.  

Yes, the 'recessed mids' gripe is exaggerated, but everything written here is.

^^ especially that sentence. 
wink.gif

Apr 16, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #1,393 of 1,431
I find it kind of hilarious that ever since owning an original Audio Technica ATH-M50 in High School, I've never found a better headphone for my needs. 

I've tried a good 6 or 7 now, all after demoing and spending months on head-fi looking for impressions on each, but I still can't find a headphone that has the comfort, portability, build quality, and sound of the M50's in a single package.

The AKG K545 & K845BT come close, and surpass it in sound & build quality, but they are just not comfortable for hours of continuous use like my M50's... 

I'm thinking of getting a new detachable cable version from Sound Professionals again.. This would be my second from them and 3rd overall. 

I simply cannot wait for Audio Technica to finally release its entry into the hi-fi mobile market. All the other companies are surpassing them lately, but it seems that AT is the only one for me. 
redface.gif

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #1,394 of 1,431
  I find it kind of hilarious that ever since owning an original Audio Technica ATH-M50 in High School, I've never found a better headphone for my needs. 

I've tried a good 6 or 7 now, all after demoing and spending months on head-fi looking for impressions on each, but I still can't find a headphone that has the comfort, portability, build quality, and sound of the M50's in a single package.

The AKG K545 & K845BT come close, and surpass it in sound & build quality, but they are just not comfortable for hours of continuous use like my M50's... 

I'm thinking of getting a new detachable cable version from Sound Professionals again.. This would be my second from them and 3rd overall. 

I simply cannot wait for Audio Technica to finally release its entry into the hi-fi mobile market. All the other companies are surpassing them lately, but it seems that AT is the only one for me. 
redface.gif

what keeps me from buying these is that closed in soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back