The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Apr 16, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #1,397 of 1,431
  Good info in here. I just picked up the coiled manufactured refurbished for $75 through slickdeals. Figured for this price I can't complain much, can't wait to try them out!

My friend got the same deal. He is pretty happy with them. Enjoy. 

Jun 9, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #1,398 of 1,431
Oh man, I scored another busted M50, repiared it, then added HM5 pads.  Dang, I should have done this sooner, I was always pretty unsatisfied with M50's bass and treble, then the HM5 earpads fixes them..  The 10kHz peak is not at all as bad anymore and the bass is clearer and better controlled if a little reduced.  Dynamat on the outside of the primary chamber tightens and cleans up the bass a bit more.  But really, the difference that the HM5 pads bring really blows me away, now I love the headphone.  The soundstage is also deeper and bigger with the HM5 pads.
The midrange remains as excellent as before, if a pinch warmer.
Edit: I overlooked in my excitement there that the HM5 pads kill the bass if the pads don't seal perfectly, which takes a couple of minutes of sitting on my head.  Derp.

Edit2: The newer memory foam HM5 pads are even better than the regular HM5 pads, w00t!  They're a bit thicker, too.

Jul 6, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #1,399 of 1,431
I love my M50x's.

They are very comfortable, 4hrs every day and I forget they're on my head. Sound is warm, bass is very tight (just how I like it)  Mids are subtle Highs are clear and bright.
Sound comes from an Asus Xonar Essence PCI
I had a set of Sennheiser PC350 SE's before the M50's, thew had a better sound stage and were definitely cleaner all around.

I Highly Recommend The ATH-M50's.
I'm not an audiophile, but I know what sounds good in my ear. :)

Aug 3, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #1,400 of 1,431
I really dig these cans. I agree with the original post on the sound. Slightly recessed mids with good bass and treble.. but I must mention that I had another m50 back around 2010 which was too bright and boomy for me. These new ones are definitely a step up. I am using a basic system around them comprised of a schiit modi DAC, a JDSLabs O2 amp used at low gain, Schiit USB cable and audioquest tower 3.5mm to RCA interconnects. Great simple system for the laptop. I have some Sennheiser hd518s that are great on the same system but somehow the m50 gives me a better all around experience.

Sep 20, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #1,401 of 1,431

I've been spending time with HD280 pads, new ones this time and with the grey tuning foam in the back removed.  The grey foam cripples the sound for M50.

Oh yeah!  These pads rule!  Bass quality is better than ever, mids are still balanced and clear, if I bit more fleshed out now, and treble is balanced yet still clear and bright, never fatiguing.  The ~10kHz peak is much smaller now without the stock pads.  The midrange/treble balanced is close to flat, then the bass is copious with good body and weight, real nice rumble and clarity, detail, and control are maximized.  I thought they were much awesome with the HM5 pads, but these are even better.
On the downside, HD280 pads are not as comfortable as the HM5 pads, much stiffer instead, but after a few minutes of use in each listening session, they conform to your head.  Once they start conforming more permanently then comfort will improve, and isolation is very good with the 280 pads, a bit better than with HM5 pads.

Getting the Senn pads on the first time is mildly difficult, but they are tough and stretchable enough for a proper fit.

May 27, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #1,402 of 1,431
I know this is a very old thread, but thought it might be valid to ask this question here since this community is for ATH M50.

I have a problem with the headband leather flaking off. Is there a way to buy a new one ? or what is the solution that other members here have followed ?

Also, i would like to change the pads to velour instead of pleather ones that came with it. I purchased mine in 2010 and have been using it for quite some time now and like the sound signature but the pleather starts giving me sweaty feeling and hence want to change to velour. 

Please suggest what are the best options. I have a black ATH M50 with coiled cable.

Cheers

Jun 16, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #1,404 of 1,431
I love the m50x. It's one of 3 headphones in my stable. I power it off an o2+odac combo and it's very musical !

Furthermore it will play happily straight from my iPod 160gb classic. So in 2 weeks time when I go on a holiday it's the m50x that will travel with me. The hd650 and dt880 will stay home :)  

Jun 16, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #1,405 of 1,431
Originally Posted by FreshtoJEFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good info in here. I just picked up the coiled manufactured refurbished for $75 through slickdeals. Figured for this price I can't complain much, can't wait to try them out!

One year and two months later: "THIS HEADPHONE SUCKS! It's over-hyped! I can complain much! Blarrrrgh!" =P Nah, just kidding. You probably still like them, because they rock^^.

Originally Posted by UntilThen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the m50x. It's one of 3 headphones in my stable. I power it off an o2+odac combo and it's very musical ! Furthermore it will play happily straight from my iPod 160gb classic. So in 2 weeks time when I go on a holiday it's the m50x that will travel with me. The hd650 and dt880 will stay home :)  

Yersh! Not only is the M50 great out of a powerful amp(getting even moar bass,) it's also fantastic to travel with! It sounds great out of anything anywhere!

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #1,406 of 1,431

Also, i would like to change the pads to velour instead of pleather ones that came with it. I purchased mine in 2010 and have been using it for quite some time now and like the sound signature but the pleather starts giving me sweaty feeling and hence want to change to velour. 

http://www.amazon.com/ATH-M50-PADS-VELVET-ATH-M50RD-ATH-M50WH-ATH-M50xBL-ATH-M50xWH/dp/B00F2ZM6CS

Jun 24, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #1,409 of 1,431
I'm waiting patiently for my velour earpads to come from Massdrop. At the moment my m50x is just sitting in a corner as the dt880 and hd650 are much more comfortable than the m50x. If the velour pads doesn't make it feel better I'm going to sell it. Yeah sell the m50x and velour pads if the fit doesn't improve.

See this is where it's not fair. On it's own the m50x would be perfectly alright. But when you have 2 other headphones like the dt880 and hd650 you invariably would be comparing.
Ok I won't sell it yet but I'll take it to China to see the Great Wall and perhaps I might change my mind on my 2 weeks vacation.
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back