The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Sep 10, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #991 of 1,431
These seem a heck of a lot more revealing of poor source files than my old pair for sure. I was listening to a lossless song from an album released only 3 years ago and it sounding like garbage. I don't know if I need to go clean out my ears or what. At random (like on the DT-880) the songs will go from sounding bad to great. Now I'm sure it's not the headphones fault or maybe I need to give my ears a rest. No, this isn't a complaint!

These definitely sound best on a neutral amp. Sounds better on my E9 than the Micro Amp (which I love for my K501).Haven't done any side by side comparisons yet though so I may be wrong.

Treble doesn't bother me at all on these yet. About the same as my DJ100. Sound clarity right now is still good, but not great. I think my DJ100 has the edge a little, but I'll need to burn these in more. KRK KNS-6400 sound a bit more clear too, but that's hardly a fair comparison since the M50 has all this extra bass.

The one thing I can say though is that the sound isn't all that engaging to me, but this is OK. Not sure why, and it's not because of it's mids.

BTW I've been doing cable swaps just for my own curiosity. I have Mogami, Belden, Monoprice and a Best Buy interconnects. Is it just me or does the Monoprice seem to add in a little extra bass? Probably just my imagination. Only with specific headphones did I feel I could hear a difference in any of them. Just a waste of time, but I do love the Belden 1192A cable I made.

I just tried some M50 pads with the foam removed. It reduces the bass a little and may make the mids a little more forward. The sound due to the extra bass often feels like it has a thin cover over it and holding back it's clearness. The HP541 and XB500 were like this, but 10X worse. With this is just barely noticeable and could be due to needing burn-in. I don't get why I never tried removing the foam with my old M50!! I don't suggest trying this unless you want to risk it. If you don't like it, you'll need new pads ($9 each).

Seems I like the large jack for the M50 on the E9 the most. Seems to increase the size of the soundstage. Not sure how it does this.

Now I wonder why more haven't suggested removing the foam backing on the M50 pads?!

Sep 10, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #992 of 1,431

Quote:
This cans needs an amp, seriously. I'm listening now my favourite songs with the Fiio combo (e7/e9) and the difference is big. The bass response is more punchy, better, and the mid gains presence. 

I think not only the impedance is important for determine if you need an amp or not. 

Really? From what I remember, adding an amp is a barely noticeable difference, for me at least. Bass was a tiny bit punchier, but that's about all I remember. I also tried with a E7/E9.

Sep 11, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #993 of 1,431

Quote:

Seems I like the large jack for the M50 on the E9 the most. Seems to increase the size of the soundstage. Not sure how it does this.

Easy to clarify if you understand damping factor.  The large jack has 10 ohms output impedance.  The small jack is 43 ohms 
basshead.gif
 output impedance if memory serves me correct.  That means anything less than 300ohms on your phone will be far from ideal and mess up the FR and driver control using the small jack.  The large jack is the only jack that is actually usable (accurate) on the E9 which is a massive design oversight IMO.  In any case, neither jack is ideal for anything 20 ohms or less (which quite a few IEMs are).

Sep 11, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #994 of 1,431
Hey tdockweiler. Congrats on enjoying the M50's. Glad you decided to try them again.

Sep 11, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #997 of 1,431

Quote:
Really? From what I remember, adding an amp is a barely noticeable difference, for me at least. Bass was a tiny bit punchier, but that's about all I remember. I also tried with a E7/E9.

It's not night to day change, but i can easily hear the differences. I think for me worth the amp more than the DAC, for my desktop setup. The p5q deluxe onboard was not very bad. 

I'm waiting my HD598 and see the amped diffrences vs unamped :D 

Sep 19, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #998 of 1,431
I'm just curious, but what is everyone's favorite portable amp for these? I've found lately that they really benefit from one.
Has anyone tried multiple portable amps with it and found some are not so good and others a better match?

I tried the E11 with it and didn't notice much change if any. Soundstage was still pathetic. Mids didn't change. I guess that means it must be very very neutral. I didn't even see the point of using it with the M50 at all.

Switched to the Nuforce Icon Mobile and had good results. Now it's not the most powerful amp on the planet, but it sure sounds good with the M50. It's supposed to be neutral, but I don't know...

With this amp, it's hard to ever say the mids are recessed. Quite good now and I don't think know if it's just good synergy or the amp altering it's signature. Don't know if that's possible. The upper mids sound noticeably more forward. There's also a little better treble. Biggest different is that the soundstage has increased in size. You'd have to be deaf to not hear the difference in soundstage size between the E11 and Nuforce Icon Mobile. M50 unamped or with the E11 is quite boring, but definitely not with the Icon Mobile. Not sure how this is. DJ100 has sounds bad with the E11. I was originally fooled into thinking it was good, but I was using the Nuforce as a DAC at the time. Oops!

Maybe my "piece of junk" Icon Mobile isn't so bad after all. Strangely enough the amps that my DJ100 hates, also will not do well with the M50. Supposedly the E11 is slightly warm and maybe the M50 doesn't need an amp like that.

When I get my Total Airhead back I'll try it with the M50. It loves my DJ100, so it'll be good with the M50 I think.

Nuforce Mobile is probably no more powerful than the E5. I tried to drive a K240 Studio with an iaudio 7 and the Nuforce on high gain and the volume is not loud enough to be worth listening to. Bad combination obviously! I think the Nuforce is better as a DAC and not so much as an amp. It's nice with easy to drive headphones.

Best I've heard the M50 was with the Nuforce Mobile DAC going to my Headroom Micro Amp. Sound was really quite impressive. Never heard an M50 like that before. I did have the foam removed from the pads though. M50 now isn't even remotely bass heavy now. Quite funny to be saying this!

Now what's stupid is that I'm hearing a lot of similarities between the DJ100 and my M50. Huh?!

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #1,002 of 1,431
Hello kids 
tongue_smile.gif

Want a bigger, softer and more comfortable pads for your M50?

Fischer Audio FA003 velvet  pads, the Fa003 comes with 2 set of pads, vynil and velvet, both fits the M50 perfectly, are like double the deep (picts 2,4), my ear fits in without touching the driver housing, it doesnt even touch the walls of the pad. this is a seriously upgrade in comfort. not sure if this has been posted before.

Sound doesnt really change, the velvet pads has soft vynil in the inside (pict 3), so its not like the let more air in.

Cheers!

Sep 24, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #1,003 of 1,431
^^

James, where did get these FA003 velvet pads ?  they look awesome ..

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #1,004 of 1,431
I tried with with my Fa002w pads a while back and it sounded terrible. Actually every pad I have tried on the M50 sounded terrible. AT hit the nail on the head with their pads.

Quote:
Hello kids 
tongue_smile.gif

Want a bigger, softer and more comfortable pads for your M50?

Fischer Audio FA003 velvet  pads, the Fa003 comes with 2 set of pads, vynil and velvet, both fits the M50 perfectly, are like double the deep (picts 2,4), my ear fits in without touching the driver housing, it doesnt even touch the walls of the pad. this is a seriously upgrade in comfort. not sure if this has been posted before.

Sound doesnt really change, the velvet pads has soft vynil in the inside (pict 3), so its not like the let more air in.

Cheers!

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #1,005 of 1,431

Quote:
^^

James, where did get these FA003 velvet pads ?  they look awesome ..

the fischer FA003 comes with those pads, and another set but vynils

Quote:
I tried with with my Fa002w pads a while back and it sounded terrible. Actually every pad I have tried on the M50 sounded terrible. AT hit the nail on the head with their pads.

I dont like the bass in the M50, so whatever that makes them less bassy work for me, but this didnt quite cange that, it only made them more comfortable, and the fact that the drivers now sit far from the ear helps to recreate a bit of soundstage I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back