The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Oct 9, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #1,023 of 1,431
The $120 deal on ScitScat with free shipping looks pretty good (about $21 cheaper than Amazon).  http://www.scitscat.com/p-4793-audio-technica-ath-m50s-professional-headphones-straight.aspx

However, even though the item is labeled as the "straight" version, looking at the SKU it says coiled.  The "coiled" version, in turn, has the straight SKU.  It's probably just a data entry mistake but I don't know which version is which.

Does anyone have any experience buying from ScitScat?  How long does it take for them to ship generally?

Oct 9, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #1,024 of 1,431
The $120 deal on ScitScat with free shipping looks pretty good (about $21 cheaper than Amazon). http://www.scitscat.com/p-4793-audio-technica-ath-m50s-professional-headphones-straight.aspx However, even though the item is labeled as the "straight" version, looking at the SKU it says coiled. The "coiled" version, in turn, has the straight SKU. It's probably just a data entry mistake but I don't know which version is which. Does anyone have any experience buying from ScitScat? How long does it take for them to ship generally?

Don't worry about the SKU. ScitScat said it is just a mistake.
Quote: Originally Posted by Tablo $105 + shipping at soundprofessionals, but I guess scitscat would be cheaper because of the free shipping. They're both legit. soundprofessionals are selling refurbished at $100+, don't believe they are new

You can select $159 new and there will be a yellow box with the link to the save $50 coupon code.

Oct 10, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #1,025 of 1,431
sorry for double posting here as i'm not getting any replies from the other thread and hoping this thread would have more M50 users help me out! cos i'm buying them asap. some questions...

1. can someone let me know if the coiled one pulls the weight down heavily on one side of the head? because i've been reading that they (coiled cables) are too think and heavy. i would want to go for the straight ones but they are too long. and the coiled ones seem like the perfect length but might be too heavy. i'm using these at home and won't be moving around much. in front of pc and sleeping on bed. are they THAT heavy?

2. also the straight ones IIRC were introduced after the coiled ones, in this case, if i get coiled ones, am i getting technologically inferior ones?

3. also, are there any chances of being able to change the cable cords by yourself? would love to have straight short ones.

thanks! pls reply... i wanna buy them soon!
atsmile.gif

Oct 10, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #1,026 of 1,431
Quote:
sorry for double posting here as i'm not getting any replies from the other thread and hoping this thread would have more M50 users help me out! cos i'm buying them asap. some questions...

1. can someone let me know if the coiled one pulls the weight down heavily on one side of the head? because i've been reading that they (coiled cables) are too think and heavy. i would want to go for the straight ones but they are too long. and the coiled ones seem like the perfect length but might be too heavy. i'm using these at home and won't be moving around much. in front of pc and sleeping on bed. are they THAT heavy?

2. also the straight ones IIRC were introduced after the coiled ones, in this case, if i get coiled ones, am i getting technologically inferior ones?

3. also, are there any chances of being able to change the cable cords by yourself? would love to have straight short ones.

atsmile.gif

1. I have the coiled version and I've never really had a problem with the left side being weighed down. I usually use them at home at my desk, but I have used them outside as well when walking to class, but even then the coiled cable didn't bother me at all

2. I doubt that there's any difference between the drivers in the coiled and straight versions, but I only have the coiled and never listened to the straight cable, so dunno (highly doubt it though)

3. Yep, I remember seeing some posts where people said they recabled their M50s to a shorter cable. Shouldn't be that hard, since you aren't recabling the entire thing and just making it shorter~

Oct 10, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #1,027 of 1,431

Quote:

atsmile.gif

1. I have owned both coiled and straight so yes, coiled version is heavier. Do not use coiled version for portable use. Home use is fine but I still prefer straight version.

2. Coiled and straight sound exactly the same.

3. If you have DIY skills you can change the cord but I just use a cable tie to make it shorter. Velcro straps also do the trick.

Oct 10, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #1,028 of 1,431
Quote:

1. I have the coiled version and I've never really had a problem with the left side being weighed down. I usually use them at home at my desk, but I have used them outside as well when walking to class, but even then the coiled cable didn't bother me at all

2. I doubt that there's any difference between the drivers in the coiled and straight versions, but I only have the coiled and never listened to the straight cable, so dunno (highly doubt it though)

3. Yep, I remember seeing some posts where people said they recabled their M50s to a shorter cable. Shouldn't be that hard, since you aren't recabling the entire thing and just making it shorter~ 

1. I have owned both coiled and straight so yes, coiled version is heavier. Do not use coiled version for portable use. Home use is fine but I still prefer straight version.

2. Coiled and straight sound exactly the same.

3. If you have DIY skills you can change the cord but I just use a cable tie to make it shorter. Velcro straps also do the trick.

Thanks guys! I have a small head, will it pull my head down one side ? Like what zowki said, it's heavier.

Also does AT provide service to recable to slimmer shorter cords? Do they charge?

Oct 11, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #1,029 of 1,431
Quote:
Thanks guys! I have a small head, will it pull my head down one side ? Like what zowki said, it's heavier.
Also does AT provide service to recable to slimmer shorter cords? Do they charge?

I think I have a small head as well (click the headband on the M50s once) and I don't find any problem when using the headphones. I will admit that when walking, you could kind of feel some pull when you take a step though (not enough to take the cans off your head though lol)

Oct 11, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #1,033 of 1,431
Quote:
loving them! sounding very juicy off the box - clear detailed sounds and tight bass... can't wait to hear how it sounds after burning in!
atsmile.gif
100 odd hours or so i read...

Good to hear^^
Did you get the coiled or straight version? xD
You also might want to check out this mod and see whether you like it better that way or not
I taped up three holes, and love how it recessed the bass and slightly brought out the mids~

EDIT: Three holes top and bottom I meant lol

Oct 11, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #1,034 of 1,431
I loved the bass on the M50's too for ages, but I've started to get over my bass addiction and now I want to hear more of the mids. I recommend you try taping up a few holes if you're starting to notice the recessed mids.
Great to hear you're enjoying your new headphones. 
k701smile.gif

Oct 12, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #1,035 of 1,431
Quote:
Good to hear^^
Did you get the coiled or straight version? xD
You also might want to check out this mod and see whether you like it better that way or not
I taped up three holes, and love how it recessed the bass and slightly brought out the mids~

EDIT: Three holes top and bottom I meant lol

i got the the coiled ones, they're not that heavy afterall, and anyways i lay them on my table and so the length was perfect for me. nice modding thread, pity the photos are gone. will take a look next time.

Quote:
I loved the bass on the M50's too for ages, but I've started to get over my bass addiction and now I want to hear more of the mids. I recommend you try taping up a few holes if you're starting to notice the recessed mids.
Great to hear you're enjoying your new headphones. 
k701smile.gif

hmmm... actually i'm not entirely sure what 'mids' mean. do they mean 'detailed clear sounds'?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back