The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Sep 6, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #976 of 1,431
Interesting..I had an exactly opposite experience...I owned the MS1 and M50 at the same time..No match...The M50 had a refinement, a definition in the highs that the Ms1 could only dream of. The Ms1 sounded grainy and cheap to me. Jazz on the Ms1? No way.  I listen to 80% jazz on vinyl and flac. I preferred jazz piano and saxophone on the M50 by miles. The MS1 were sold shortly thereafter. My worst headphone purchase ever..

Quote:
The M50s are great, but I somewhat still prefer my Alessandro MS1i. 

The MS1is can really get the highs and mids bursting out with life! It's just amazing. Whereas the M50s, it's kind of covered up. I just did a short test to a J-Rock song, and when I was listening to the song with the M50s I had this feeling, when the highs are suppose to hit this certain level, it just doesn't with the M50s. It's as if someone is teasing with you, you jump up to grab an object off a persons hand, and you're nearly there, sooo close to grabbing it, and then the person who is teasing you moves their hands up higher and you don't get the object. Yeah, it's like that. You get hyped for something but it doesn't come. Yeah, that's the feeling I got when I was comparing the MS1i's to the M50's with Highs/Mids.

The bass is a definite win on the M50's. Strong and thumping, great for electronica music, no doubt. The MS1i's has a decent bass to it, which I don't mind for rock, jazz and classical.

Overall?

Rock, Jazz and Classical has to be the MS1's.
Electronic, R&B and Pop is to be handed to the M50's.

Sep 9, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #980 of 1,431
I bought another pair of these today. Got Guitar Center to price match Sound Professionals. I had them about 2 years ago and always liked them despite not matching my preferred signature. I ended up switching to the SRH-840 and then to the DJ100. The pair I had was the old version with recessed mids, bloated bass and even slightly rolled off treble.

When I bought them I figured I'd hate them. Out of the box the sound clarity is good, but not great. A little better than the Denon HP700 I just had. This pair seems a LOT more well balanced than my first pair. I don't even know if I can even consider these bass heavy, which is now a plus for me. They do have boosted bass, but it's not horrible. Seems a little better controlled than my last pair.

Of course there is now more treble and the mids seem a tad better than my older pair. May be recessed a little still, but I'll have to listen to them more later.

What's most surprising is how detailed they are out of the box. Sound clarity should improve when I burn them in longer. Right now they sound fairly balanced, but the treble is kind of fatiguing, but not too bad.

What would really be interesting is a comparison of the old version to the new version.

If I find these to be keepers I guess I'll need to do some comparisons of them to my DJ100 again.

I have some extra M50 pads with the foam removed and I bet that would reduce the bass even further and help bring forward the mids a tad. Worth a try.

Sep 9, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #982 of 1,431

Quote:
Wait a minute

Is there a "new" version around?
(something like MKII?)

No, not really. Supposedly the newer "White Box" versions sound more balanced than the older black boxed pairs.
I think when people these days complain that the M50 doesn't have much bass (somehow) it's because they have the white boxed version.
I don't even know if I can now even call the M50 Bass Heavy anymore...

The white boxed version most definitely does have more treble and better mids than my old pair.

Too bad that nobody has both. It'd be interesting to compare them.

I know the OLD M50's sound inside and out and this one just sounds a lot better. ALMOST sounds quite balanced. Weird. Haven't even burned it in yet!

Sep 9, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #983 of 1,431
Hey I'm looking to pick up a pair of closed cans; I already have 2 open ones.

The M50s seem to get pretty good reviews all around and are usually recommended for headphones around it's price range. But I was wondering how do they compare with the ATH-A700? I personally like the look of the ATH-A700 but it's of course the sound that counts the most.

They seem to advertise the M50 as "studio headphones." I'm strictly using them just to listen to music for entertainment purposes, not make music. Anyone got quick plus/cons to these two headphones in terms of comparison?

Sep 9, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #984 of 1,431

Quote:
Jube said:
My M50's can be a little fatiguing for me as well. I think it is probably the highs too, is there anything else that makes headphones fatiguing to listen to?

Yes, a bright source and poorly mastered tracks

Quote:
The M50s are great, but I somewhat still prefer my Alessandro MS1i. 

The MS1is can really get the highs and mids bursting out with life! It's just amazing. Whereas the M50s, it's kind of covered up. 

See response below.  Same impressions as mine when I had moth MS1 and M50.  Though the MS1 isn't the worst headphone I've heard I do prefer it to some others including the SR60.

Quote:
Interesting..I had an exactly opposite experience...I owned the MS1 and M50 at the same time..No match...The M50 had a refinement, a definition in the highs that the Ms1 could only dream of. The Ms1 sounded grainy and cheap to me. Jazz on the Ms1? No way.  I listen to 80% jazz on vinyl and flac. I preferred jazz piano and saxophone on the M50 by miles. The MS1 were sold shortly thereafter. My worst headphone purchase ever..

Quote:
I bought another pair of these today. Got Guitar Center to price match Sound Professionals. I had them about 2 years ago and always liked them despite not matching my preferred signature. I ended up switching to the SRH-840 and then to the DJ100. The pair I had was the old version with recessed mids, bloated bass and even slightly rolled off treble.

When I bought them I figured I'd hate them. Out of the box the sound clarity is good, but not great. A little better than the Denon HP700 I just had. This pair seems a LOT more well balanced than my first pair. I don't even know if I can even consider these bass heavy, which is now a plus for me. They do have boosted bass, but it's not horrible. Seems a little better controlled than my last pair.

Of course there is now more treble and the mids seem a tad better than my older pair. May be recessed a little still, but I'll have to listen to them more later.

What's most surprising is how detailed they are out of the box. Sound clarity should improve when I burn them in longer. Right now they sound fairly balanced, but the treble is kind of fatiguing, but not too bad.

What would really be interesting is a comparison of the old version to the new version.

Funny, seems like I finally got a DJ100 that sounded like your DJ100 and now you have a M50 that sounds like my old M50.  We seem to be chasing each other around.  Sounds like you can better relate to what I was hearing w/ my M50 now.  
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #985 of 1,431
OK, this is just weird..the DJ100 with foam removed M50 pads has just as much fatiguing treble as the M50 WITH foam.
The M50 mids are kind of nice after listening to a really forward sounding headphone all night. They're kind of relaxed yet don't sound recessed really. Just neutral.
The M50 right now seems kind of warm sounding. Probably need to try another amp or none at all. Not like a Sennheiser though.
Actually the only time both headphones fatigue me fast is with really bright and harsh sounding recordings.Not the headphones fault. DJ100 doesn't with stock pads.

Can't get over how much better controlled the bass is on this new M50. It does have a bit more mid-bass than I normally like, but it's not a big deal.

M50 doesn't really even sound "V-shaped". Bassheads who get the M50 expecting a ton of bass will be so disappointed I imagine.

What's wrong with me lately...I even got the XB500 yesterday and kind of like it. Sounds HORRIBLE without an EQ. I reduce the bass by 6DB(!) and then it's sounds quite decent for a $45 headphone. To me it's like muffled crap without an EQ. Responds very well with EQ.

Level of detail on this new M50 pair seems a lot better than my old pair. It also seems really good at making my garbage tracks sound like..garbage
normal_smile%20.gif

Bass seems like a little better controlled on the DJ100 and more clear. At least with specific tracks. On the M50 it's a little bit more boomy, which is nice sometimes. I think burn-in will help maybe. So far I'm not a fan of the mid-bass on the M50, so I don't think that's changed much from the old version.

Not sure if they're really worth $160 Retail..but $100-$120 is good.

Seems I'm more sensitive to mid-bass than treble and forward mids. What the heck?! Seems my Micro Amp loves AKG headphones, but not so much the M50. Adds in a little extra bass (or so it seems) that the M50 doesn't need. Seems like the E9 is more neutral, so I'll use that instead.

Sep 10, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #989 of 1,431
This cans needs an amp, seriously. I'm listening now my favourite songs with the Fiio combo (e7/e9) and the difference is big. The bass response is more punchy, better, and the mid gains presence. 

I think not only the impedance is important for determine if you need an amp or not. 

Sep 10, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #990 of 1,431

Yeah, all of the newest pairs should be the white boxed version.
The black boxed version was still good, but this pair has a lot of small differences.
Quote:
The current M50 being sold @ amazon and other places are white box or black?

How can I tell?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back