The Audigy 4 Pro is coming
Nov 3, 2004 at 10:17 AM Post #31 of 73
I wouldn't be totally shocked if Audigy 4 had Glassman's analog circuit for output. That would be a way cool for them to cut R&D cost.
eek.gif
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Nov 3, 2004 at 12:22 PM Post #33 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaboo
I wouldn't be totally shocked if Audigy 4 had Glassman's analog circuit for output. That would be a way cool for them to cut R&D cost.
eek.gif
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

LOL

but the fact is if they did something like that it would be pretty much it.. raw performance of the DAC unaltered.. easy, cheap and performing as it should..

Nov 3, 2004 at 12:26 PM Post #34 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
LOL

but the fact is if they did something like that it would be pretty much it.. raw performance of the DAC unaltered.. easy, cheap and performing as it should..

i wonder if they really use your analog circuit for output, as in a carbon copy.. can you like, sue them? $$$ so its not a bad thing afterall.

we'll get a card thats good in both audio and gaming; you make big bucks.. we all win!
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2004 at 12:35 PM Post #35 of 73
ROFLMAO
biggrin.gif

you know what? I'll grab one just to see if they actualy did that, I WANT SOME FUNDS, I WANNA BE RENTIER, I NEED TO SURVIVE HEAD-FI!
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2004 at 1:24 PM Post #36 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by ixeo
strictly in terms of computing only (primary - games, secondary - mp3) then yes. that was ofc before the audigy. SB series was the most widely marketed soundcard worldwide and had that EAX thingy affliated with game publishers. no other soundcard does EAX like Creative...reason being they created it
wink.gif
smart buggers they are.

Read what I put in quotations again.

[size=xx-small][Interesting. Someone informed me today that the SBLive is actually known to be "the most respected source for the PC" when it comes to "clean stereo sound", second only to the "M-Audio or whatever it's called"...][/size]

We are not talking primary games and secondary music, we are talking primary music. He also said the Audigy is cleaner than the SBLive.

Nov 3, 2004 at 2:16 PM Post #37 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
Read what I put in quotations again.

[size=xx-small][Interesting. Someone informed me today that the SBLive is actually known to be "the most respected source for the PC" when it comes to "clean stereo sound", second only to the "M-Audio or whatever it's called"...][/size]

We are not talking primary games and secondary music, we are talking primary music. He also said the Audigy is cleaner than the SBLive.

source for the PC, you might want to specify as a music source, i misintepreted as computer audio source - which is what a soundcard is. games back then were majority stereo as well, so that "clean stereo sound" can be applied - starcraft, diablo etc.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 3, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #39 of 73
So when is the Audigy 4 "Pro" (hahaha) going to be released (e.g. any dates) ? And is the $300 for a "platinum edition" ?

Here's a hope that it will suck goat balls for music, just to see Creative go bankrupt. They always hype up their "sound cards":

"32-Bit digital processing, which maintains a theoretical 192 dB of dynamic range"
Yes, but what's the point if it is theoretical ?

"8-point interpolation that reduces distortion to inaudible levels"
No thanks, there are great cards out there that does no interpolation to reach inaudible distortion.

icon10.gif

Nov 3, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #40 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
hehe nope -- we were talking about music output only =)

we were?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Hey, that could be the ultimate gamer/audiophile card since it's got all the EAX goodies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I can see what you're saying about EAX. I only do two channel gaming.

i guess the rest of us must be off topic since we were discussing a computer soundcard, rather than music output only. my apologies to you, and i apologise on behalf of the rest of the people who brought it off topic.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 3, 2004 at 5:16 PM Post #41 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by ixeo
we were?

i guess the rest of us must be off topic since we were discussing a computer soundcard, rather than music output only. my apologies to you, and i apologise on behalf of the rest of the people who brought it off topic.
rolleyes.gif

The 'we' was in reference to me and the someone else.

Check the attitude, please.

Nov 3, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #42 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daroid
So when is the Audigy 4 "Pro" (hahaha) going to be released (e.g. any dates) ? And is the $300 for a "platinum edition" ?

Here's a hope that it will suck goat balls for music, just to see Creative go bankrupt. They always hype up their "sound cards":

"32-Bit digital processing, which maintains a theoretical 192 dB of dynamic range"
Yes, but what's the point if it is theoretical ?

"8-point interpolation that reduces distortion to inaudible levels"
No thanks, there are great cards out there that does no interpolation to reach inaudible distortion.

icon10.gif

actually 32bit processing is what we absolutely need in order to avoid messing up the sound when applying effects and also avoiding decreasing wordlenght to 16bit during passing data through the DSP.. but the stated 192dB is rather weird, that would mean fixed point DSP is used rather than floating point in which case it would be 25bit of mantissa + exponent and sign..
well actually not that weird at all, E-MU cards are the same, and use 10k2.. if the new Audigy isn't based on PCI-X I bet it's 10k2 story again, just with new marketing BS as usuall..

8-point interpolation is in fact used on most every soundcard, it's the common feature of any modern DACs, it's their digital filter.. seems like someone taught Creative's marketing guys something new they can claim on the box..

Nov 3, 2004 at 5:50 PM Post #43 of 73
The Audigy 4 will be based on (regular 32-Bit) PCI, No PCI-X (according to some Italian site which partly was translated by numerous sites)

"Mantissa + exponent & sign" ?

O.k. the 8-point interpolation might be valid, didn't know it was done internally by the DAC also... but does it actually have any impact on distortion ?

Nov 3, 2004 at 6:04 PM Post #44 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
Anyone willing to bet that it still doesn't do 44.1kHz without resampling?

I like those odds!

If it ends up doing the same resampling game, I will play a 44.1kHz laugh track on my 1212M in honor of the Audigy 4.

Nov 3, 2004 at 6:04 PM Post #45 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daroid
O.k. the 8-point interpolation might be valid, didn't know it was done internally by the DAC also... but does it actually have any impact on distortion ?

yes it does, it increases it
tongue.gif
seriously, anything you do to the sound will decrease quality, the question is whether it helps something too and the answer is obviously yes.. prior to D/A conversion, you increase samplerate 8 times and filter that signal with low pass filter set at half original samplerate, thus doing virtually nothing to the signal, the gain is that the output from the DAC is silent up to some hundreds of kilohertz so that you can utilise simple few-pole analog filtering instead of having to use heavy brick-wall analog filters with many poles, very complex and bad performance.. the interpolation is done usually with higher than 32bit internal precision so it shouldn't hurt the sound much if any.. the benefits are clear.. this is however rather theoretical explanation, not taking into account sigma delta modulation, but for illustration it's good enough
wink.gif

mantissa + sign and exponent, when you do floating point, you have certain number of bits describing mantissa of the float number and then one bit for the sign of the number and another bits to store the exponent value and it's sign too.. usually it's 25bit mantissa + 1bit sign + 5bit exponent + 1bit exponent's sign in 32bit floating point systems.. so that each value is stored with 25bit precision in fact (well 26bit actually including sign)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back