The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Oct 21, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #5,661 of 7,138
I'm weak.

Interestingly, your Rosewood/Leather pair were much heavier than my Bamboo/Vegan pair weren't they?

Yeah they were. I honestly don't think the Audeze engineers have ever heard of ergonomics. It's one thing for the magnets to be heavy and another to completely ignore simple ergonomic techniques to make the headphone more comfortable. I mean why is the headband so stiff?

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #5,662 of 7,138
Oct 21, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #5,663 of 7,138
When one selects the vegan option are both the ear pads and the headband vegan?

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #5,664 of 7,138

What is your new amp, Xcalibur255?

It's a custom build, line 1 of my sig.  The closest comparison to a retail product would be the ECBA with the 45/2A3 tube upgrade option I guess, since my amp is also 45/2A3 output stage.  Really though everything else is pretty different aside from them both being transformer coupled so to be honest there isn't anything I could think to make a direct comparison to.

All I know is it opened up the sound of the LCD-2 in a way I never thought was possible.  I know some people get frustrated with this headphone, they feel the potential is there but the flaws bother them.  I'm just posting this to show that there are combinations of gear that really click for the LCD-2 and make it really work.  Well, for me anyway, we all have our own priorities for sound presentation too after all.

My definition of "in front of the microphone" transparency got radically redefined once this new amp really started to break-in.  The only fly in the ointment is the amp will not drive them all that terribly loud before it begins to show strain.  Loud enough for me but without much of an extra margin there to accommodate playfulness.  Even taking into account the power lost due to difference in impedance between the OPT and the headphones I would have thought the 45 tube would have plenty of power for this job, but it turns out it is really just enough.

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #5,666 of 7,138

It's a custom build, line 1 of my sig.  The closest comparison to a retail product would be the ECBA with the 45/2A3 tube upgrade option I guess, since my amp is also 45/2A3 output stage.  Really though everything else is pretty different aside from them both being transformer coupled so to be honest there isn't anything I could think to make a direct comparison to.

All I know is it opened up the sound of the LCD-2 in a way I never thought was possible.  I know some people get frustrated with this headphone, they feel the potential is there but the flaws bother them.  I'm just posting this to show that there are combinations of gear that really click for the LCD-2 and make it really work.  Well, for me anyway, we all have our own priorities for sound presentation too after all.

My definition of "in front of the microphone" transparency got radically redefined once this new amp really started to break-in.  The only fly in the ointment is the amp will not drive them all that terribly loud before it begins to show strain.  Loud enough for me but without much of an extra margin there to accommodate playfulness.  Even taking into account the power lost due to difference in impedance between the OPT and the headphones I would have thought the 45 tube would have plenty of power for this job, but it turns out it is really just enough.

I'm assuming it's built by Glenn as he is the only one on this board building custom tube amp's to those who request it, how much was it?

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #5,667 of 7,138

I'm assuming it's built by Glenn as he is the only one on this board building custom tube amp's to those who request it, how much was it?

Indeed it was, he is credited in my sig line.

Feel free to ask me in private about the cost of the amp.  The project was my personal shot at end game, and I feel it succeeded.  I have only heard a handful of amps in my time though, so there's the grain of salt.

Oct 21, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #5,668 of 7,138
Hi everyone,

I just received my LCD-2's back from Audeze on a warranty repair as they were producing electrical noise in the headphones. I've gotten them back and an electrical noise is still happening but it sounds different, and only seems to occur as my Woo Audio WA6 amp is warming up. Could this be a sign of a bad tube or something with my amplifier as opposed to the headphones?

Once the amp is warmed up I have no issues, but for the time being I'm unplugging the LCD-2's while the amp warms up to avoid that electrical noise which I assume cannot be good for the headphones.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Oct 21, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #5,669 of 7,138
I don't know what type of tubes you are using in your WA6, but I've got tubes for the lyr that will be microphonic/noisy until they are warm. It usually takes a few minutes and then they are dead silent. It's not uncommon with NOS tubes particularly. 

Oct 21, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #5,670 of 7,138
Hi everyone,

I just received my LCD-2's back from Audeze on a warranty repair as they were producing electrical noise in the headphones. I've gotten them back and an electrical noise is still happening but it sounds different, and only seems to occur as my Woo Audio WA6 amp is warming up. Could this be a sign of a bad tube or something with my amplifier as opposed to the headphones?

Once the amp is warmed up I have no issues, but for the time being I'm unplugging the LCD-2's while the amp warms up to avoid that electrical noise which I assume cannot be good for the headphones.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

If it's crackling/static then you probably have a tube that is intermittent or has a short.  I ran into this a couple of times back when I had a Woo amp.  Cleaning the pins and the sockets is step one, getting yourself a different pair of driver tubes is step 2.  If it is still there then you may have power supply noise leaking into the circuit or a bad cap somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back