The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Sep 6, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #5,342 of 7,138
If he liked the LCD2's the most sensible headphone he would want is the LCD3's despite the little improvements it goes over the 2's for the asking price. Then after getting the LCD3's he must own a HD800 also.

Do the LCD 3s have the same bass slam as the 2s? What exactly is improved?

Sep 6, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #5,343 of 7,138
....or HD800

If he liked the LCD2's the most sensible headphone he would want is the LCD3's despite the little improvements it goes over the 2's for the asking price. Then after getting the LCD3's he must own a HD800 also.

Good point, didnt see it that way. I went from LCD2 to the HD800 and do not think about the 3s. Just figured he would want to try something different :D

Sep 6, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #5,344 of 7,138

Some say its less, some say more, and some claim no change. Youd have to make the call yourself after listening.

Sep 6, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #5,346 of 7,138

I personally found it to be about on par but a tad bit cleaner sounding. I'd still take the rev.1 mids over any of the LCD's of the week not even including the other mods I've performed. YMMV otherwise, see post below is a good answer.

Good point, didnt see it that way. I went from LCD2 to the HD800 and do not think about the 3s. Just figured he would want to try something different
biggrin.gif

Yeah when I had the HD800's it was a good opposite sounding headphone that excelled in genres I listened to that the LCD2's did not. Until I went fully into the electrostatic path, there's a brighter light here than any other but it's a deeper rabbit hole I've gotten myself into.

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #5,347 of 7,138

They are pretty much the 2's with some treble extension, a midrange that is more clearly defined from treble and lower range, and overall a slightly more energetic signature. The 3's are not worth it IMO unless you've experienced the 2's. Otherwise the intial impression witih the 2's would pretty much do it for you. 

I like the pads as well as the polished terminals for cables. It's the little things in life haha.

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #5,348 of 7,138

They are pretty much the 2's with some treble extension, a midrange that is more clearly defined from treble and lower range, and overall a slightly more energetic signature. The 3's are not worth it IMO unless you've experienced the 2's. Otherwise the intial impression witih the 2's would pretty much do it for you. 

I like the pads as well as the polished terminals for cables. It's the little things in life haha.

Can't agree with you more.

Sep 9, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #5,349 of 7,138
That's OK. Thanks all the same. Its not hard to imagine why you would assume desktop amp given the LCDs aren't on the go headphones.
Hmm portaphile 627/627x looks OK.
Anyone have any experience with it?

I drive mine with the 627x. Clean to levels way higher than I care to listen to.

Sep 15, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #5,350 of 7,138
Hey all, 

You're the LCD professionals, so I just thought I would ask a few questions (If it's OK with you guys).

1. What are the main differences between the LCD rev 1, rev 2, and LCD 3?
  2. Will the price of the LCD2 increase over time?
  3. How do they compare, to say, the D5000?

The main reason I ask, is that I had an opportunity to trade in my D5000 plus cash, for some LCD2. Not sure which revision it would have been.

The main reason I didn't, is because the D5000 price went up over time, and I'm worried that they will continue to do so.. 

Sep 15, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #5,351 of 7,138
lol we need a new subforum "Financial Head-Fi Consulting"

keep your d5000

get a lcd if you like it

than when the market condition is right, sell the d5000

or sell the d5000 for a profitable price

and get an used lcd at a price you'll be able to resell it, or trade

or just do the d5000 trade

lcds price will not rise as long as audeze is in business upgradeing, and/or lcdx is in production

and lcds are more likely to get tougher competition

Sep 15, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #5,354 of 7,138

keep your d5000

get a lcd if you like it

lcds price will not rise as long as audeze is in business upgradeing, and/or lcdx is in production

+1. I've had the LCD-2 and now have the LCD-3. I like both of the LCD-s but still keep and listen to my D2000. I'd say keep your D5000 and give the LCD-2's a try to see if you like it or not.

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #5,355 of 7,138

keep your d5000

get a lcd if you like it

Perfect response, exactly what I was after, thank you. Great job.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back