The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Sep 15, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #5,356 of 7,138
  Hey all, 

You're the LCD professionals, so I just thought I would ask a few questions (If it's OK with you guys).

1. What are the main differences between the LCD rev 1, rev 2, and LCD 3?
  2. Will the price of the LCD2 increase over time?
  3. How do they compare, to say, the D5000?

The main reason I ask, is that I had an opportunity to trade in my D5000 plus cash, for some LCD2. Not sure which revision it would have been.

The main reason I didn't, is because the D5000 price went up over time, and I'm worried that they will continue to do so.. 

1. The Rev 2 is subtle, it has a tighter bass, the treble extension is the same, and the midrange is slightly more defined from the bass and treble. It's very slight, do not let the rev2 prevent you from getting a good deal. The pads on Rev2 are slightly different and more cushion-ey, whilst some Rev1's came out with more angled firm pads that held your ear closer to the driver. I haven't found that this makes an obvious difference in soundstage since the magnets n' stuff are flat anyway.

2. Yes. They went from $899 to $11-and some change. Rosewood is now at a premium.

3. D5000 has punchier bass, although it will sound a little wallowy in comparison since it's not as tight as a headphone that fundamentally produces sound with electromagnetism fields vs a driver moving air. You will lose bass punch, but the actual lower range of the spectrum is still represented accurately and well.

As someone who's had a lot of D5000's pass through my hands, I can tell you that they are a solid headphone and while the 2's are widely regarded as a better headphone, the differences are fundamentally different in how they sound and that is the difference between you going LCD-2, T1, or HD800. HE-500, or hell to some people the D7100 is now a serious contender in that range.. The quality of construction just didn't meet my standards to be quite honest on Hifiman cans, otherwise I would appreciate the secondhand prices on HE-500's greatly. I just don't like threaded connectors vs plugs for travelling, and the way the pads attach is actually a little tricky to get right without bending/breaking the tabs. Also consider my 2 Rev1 came in a lovely presentation box, whilst my Rev2's came in a very secure and rugged pelican carrying case with a handle that I actually use weekly going place to place. The box is more of a conversation piece, the carrying case I use when I go from my house to say, a friend's house (I have a great audiophile for a neighbor who has a ton of awesome gear)

Sep 16, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #5,358 of 7,138
  Another excellent response. Are you 100% on the value increasing? It's a big deal to me - I purchased my D5000 a LONG time ago, and they are worth more than double that now.

I'm not sure, I haven't sold a pair of LCD-2's in a while, last time I did they were $999 new for Bamboo and I was out $850, all original accessories, no dings and dents. I have no idea what they go for now, but I've owned them for 1.5 years now. Right driver had to be replaced although if they're driver matched, wouldn't that be off since one is broken in and they're trying to match a new one to a broken-in one? They sound the same though, I've had a couple other pairs at my house before.

Sep 16, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #5,359 of 7,138
  Another excellent response. Are you 100% on the value increasing? It's a big deal to me - I purchased my D5000 a LONG time ago, and they are worth more than double that now.

You got lucky on your D5000, but headphones are generally a poor investment. If that's your standard, I'd only consider rare discontinued headphones. At some point, Audeze will come out with an LCD-4 and the value of used LCD2s and LCD3s will drop. Audeze increased the list price of rosewood LCD2s, but that has no bearing on future price increases.

Sep 17, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #5,362 of 7,138
I'd personally hold onto the D5k only because they are discontinued and supply and demand will only increase over time for collectors and those interested so the value will only go up. As seen with the Sony MDR CD3000, the value is going up and up.

Sep 17, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #5,364 of 7,138
sadly leaving the LCD2 club. My last moments with it

Sep 17, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #5,367 of 7,138
Parted with my LCD2s about 3 weeks ago as well, happier with the HD800.

Sep 19, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #5,368 of 7,138
I am having LCD2 withdrawals, not because I sold them, but because I shorted my cable to the left ear. The stock connection is a little flimsy for wearing them to bed unfortunately. 
blink.gif
 Anyone have experience with these cables or have other suggestions in the less than $200 price range? 

1) Artemis Cables "Arrow" LCD2/3 Upgrade Cable $150 (Link)
2) AudioMinor's AUDEZE LCD-2 PURE COPPER CABLE $130 (Link)
3) Charleston Cable Company AURIC LCD2/3 Upgrade Cable $130 (Link)

Sep 19, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #5,370 of 7,138
Well well well...

Just received rev.2 and took it for a quick spin. Tried them via Asus Essence ST and Teac UD-501.

I would call them spectacular if i didn't have HE-400 which cost me like $500 less.  Unless there's reasonably priced amp that will make LCD-2s sing and make a huge improvement, I just don't feel $500 upgrade in sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back