The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Aug 10, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #2,476 of 7,138
Just some very early impressions; 30hrs on them and they are now just starting to open up and tighten up too. I can see why the bass on these can become addictive, very satisfying with the double bass, powerfully reproduced. I bought these mainly for jazz so I think I've made a good choice. Going through some old classics and the sound has a nice warm glow like your sitting in front of the fire on a winters night with a glass of whisky... haha.
Warm recordings sound a bit too dull for now, hopefully they will lighten up more with time as they have since I first plugged them in. Still a hint of "boxyness" almost like the quartet is playing in a small cave with egg boxes on the walls.
I've tried playing a bit classical on these and chamber music and small ensemble sounds surprisingly good (surprising becasue I kept reading that these were not too good at classical). I think some peeps think of classical as Beethoven's 9th and greensleeves, but its not just about recreating orchestral music. Some bright headphones can be annoying with brass for example and a little nice warmth can be welcome even for solo piano. I can see me going through Bach's cello works soon. Anyway's, tried these with a new recording of Beethoven's 3rd and it was powerful but dull, they need more air and extention at the top to be more convincing. Chamber- yes, orchestral-maybe not. Time will tell for these and classical with me.
Back to the jazz and sax is simply wonderful, no grain and very sweet and velvety.. As is the whole mid range. I'm wanting more reach at the top, but it is definately improving. Drums are punchy and full of authority, there is a very big sense of depth with these and I don't notice a small soundstage at all.. maybe only narrow in comparison to some others.   

To be continued..

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #2,477 of 7,138
Quote:
Hi Chris, would you recommend silver or copper or both. I use both with my HE500's and it worked well, but the LCD2's are darker so I'm thinking pure silver.

Um dark and bright seem to be absolutes, it's neither really. Silver to me always sounds better than copper, so it's always worth the extra money to me. But it does have a history of making headphones sound thin or harsh at first. Cable burn-in is real though and the harshness settles.

For those who are on the fence about either one, I usually just equip their cable with both.. or hell I use gold plated copper too which is very warm and it makes a nice blend. All the cable manufacturers being discussed here build a very good cable. I'm getting a Q cable for myself actually!

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #2,478 of 7,138
Rev 3?

@ LugBug1

A well-thought out design using legitimate OCC Cu, and built extremely well, sounds close to silver... very close to the point that I need to A/B back and forth for at least 20 minutes straight, repeating the exact same passage, in order to determine which sounds better, and which at that point I decide there is really no point, and the difference is negligible. A well-burned in silver cable does not lack bass, like the misconception going on everywhere that silver extends higher but lacks bass versus Copper.

Aug 11, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #2,479 of 7,138
I don't udnerstand why people divide cables to copper and silver. There are not such things like "copper" sound or "silver" sound. Copper cables can sound loose, uncontrolled, harsh but other copper cables can be smooth, tight and natural. Silver cables can give more focused, tight and linear sound, other silver cables are harsh, loose or unfocused. It depends on the quality of the materials, the assembly, etc.

Aug 11, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #2,480 of 7,138
Thanks for all the input on the cables for the LCD2's guy's. My experience with silver has been mostly- more detail and sharpness. Copper- more fullness. But its certainly not day and night. I think as Chris say's its mostly down to quality more than anything else. Think I'll probably go for a hybrid with the LCD2's.  

Don't want to start a cable debate as it can derail a thread in seconds haha Cheers! 

Aug 11, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #2,481 of 7,138
Quote:
I don't udnerstand why people divide cables to copper and silver. There are not such things like "copper" sound or "silver" sound. Copper cables can sound loose, uncontrolled, harsh but other copper cables can be smooth, tight and natural. Silver cables can give more focused, tight and linear sound, other silver cables are harsh, loose or unfocused. It depends on the quality of the materials, the assembly, etc.

Well I think most people agree to the consensus that copper cables generally make the sound a big more warmer, loose bass and slight muddy sometimes, while pure silver on the other hand gives that slight impression that the bass is tight, and more clear with clarity, but generally I find most of the pure silver cables I've tried (most companies out there) to be slightly cold, thin sounding not as expansive as copper and sometimes bright. Your correct with the last line (can't believe it), materials involved with cable making and the structure of the cable does have affect on the final sound reproduction to the human ear (objective vs subjective once again, if your placebo's not kicking in) :)

Aug 11, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #2,482 of 7,138
Quote:
Thanks for all the input on the cables for the LCD2's guy's. My experience with silver has been mostly- more detail and sharpness. Copper- more fullness. But its certainly not day and night. I think as Chris say's its mostly down to quality more than anything else. Think I'll probably go for a hybrid with the LCD2's.  

Don't want to start a cable debate as it can derail a thread in seconds haha Cheers! 

Try out some LCD2 SPC cables from Toxic Cables, not advertising or anything but there seems to be lot of positive feedback in the thread for Frank's (aka KabelMeister) cables, they are cheap to boot as well and look really nice and are well regarded around these boards.

Aug 11, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #2,483 of 7,138
Quote:
Try out some LCD2 SPC cables from Toxic Cables, not advertising or anything but there seems to be lot of positive feedback in the thread for Frank's (aka KabelMeister) cables, they are cheap to boot as well and look really nice and are well regarded around these boards.

Thanks, I've already got one of his for my hifimans they are very good indeed

Aug 12, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #2,486 of 7,138
Quote:

Well I think most people agree to the consensus that copper cables generally make the sound a big more warmer, loose bass and slight muddy sometimes, while pure silver on the other hand gives that slight impression that the bass is tight, and more clear with clarity, but generally I find most of the pure silver cables I've tried (most companies out there) to be slightly cold, thin sounding not as expansive as copper and sometimes bright. Your correct with the last line (can't believe it), materials involved with cable making and the structure of the cable does have affect on the final sound reproduction to the human ear (objective vs subjective once again, if your placebo's not kicking in) :)

Yes, some silver cables may sound thin, agressive, bright, etc. But that's true for the low quality copper also, plus the bloated "warm" midbass :) I have some well done high quality solid core silver wires and they are definitely more neutral, balanced and controlled through all the audible FR. I haven't heard copper cables that can handle the lows and the treble with such control and naturalness as the good solid core silver. That's my experience
beerchug.gif

Aug 12, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #2,487 of 7,138
Solid core = rolled highs so its not surprising that its not harsh or brittle.  Going to go out on a limb and say that its likely not too flexible either compared to Q :D

Aug 12, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #2,488 of 7,138
SUCH BORING CONVERSATION
you have one of the best headphones and all is talked about is the mimimalist effect of cables and amps that make little difference. WhT ABOUT THE MUSIC? wHAT DO YUO ENJOY ON THE LCD-2 AND WHY?E
pEACE.

Aug 12, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #2,489 of 7,138
Quote:
Yes, some silver cables may sound thin, agressive, bright, etc. But that's true for the low quality copper also, plus the bloated "warm" midbass :) I have some well done high quality solid core silver wires and they are definitely more neutral, balanced and controlled through all the audible FR. I haven't heard copper cables that can handle the lows and the treble with such control and naturalness as the good solid core silver. That's my experience
beerchug.gif

Yeh, I've noticed some cheap no name high quantity selling copper cable's to have very bloated "warm" midbass as well. I also find solid core very prone to microphonics and not being very flexible compared to normal multi stranded silver wire/cables, to me solid core sounds more thin in most cases compared to normal stranded solid wire/cables, although silver does present a very slight neutral presentation across the sound spectrum.

Quote:
Solid core = rolled highs so its not surprising that its not harsh or brittle.  

+1

No cable can beat the flexibility and absolute zero microphonics compared of my cable (No bragging rights intended). 
tongue.gif

Happy listening

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back