The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Dec 16, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #391 of 7,138
I had both at the same time.  At first I preferred the rev1 but then after extensive burn-in of rev2 my preferences were for the rev2.  There were others who had both at the same time and preferred rev1.  However, I don't know the split, those who had both and preferred one over the other for reasons mentioned in the closed LCD-2 thread. 

Quote:
Is the treble shelved down? If so, it’s a r1!!

(just kidding of course)

I deeply love my r1s but I have a strange interest in hearing the r2s for some reason... To the general knowledge of those still paying mind to this thread, have people who bought both versions ditched the r1s entirely (I mean generally speaking)?

Dec 16, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #392 of 7,138
Apart from the sound signature, the built quality of the R2 is a hundred times better the the R1's; especially the ear pads and the height adjustable mounting blocks. The original plastic mounting blocks of my R1 came apart into a few pieces after a few months, and the replacement ones simply don't work, the ear piece on the right kept slipping down no matter how much I tightened up the adjustment screw, which is quite annoying, I have to hold it up with tapes now. I haven't had any problem with the R2 so far.

Quote:
hello, how can we know if we have r1 or r2 of the LCD2?

-Thanks

Dec 16, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #393 of 7,138
Indications:

Rev. 2 = s/n starts with 531xxx
Rev. 1 = s/n starts with 569xxx

I thought that was public knowledge taking the big s/n thread into account started by Skylab some time ago. Personally I have still not quite  understood the whole intention with that subject thread - ever.. 

Dec 16, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #395 of 7,138
Your right, Sir. :) In order to maintain the confusion; I changed my previous post...

Dec 16, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #396 of 7,138

Quote:
Apart from the sound signature, the built quality of the R2 is a hundred times better the the R1's; especially the ear pads and the height adjustable mounting blocks. The original plastic mounting blocks of my R1 came apart into a few pieces after a few months, and the replacement ones simply don't work, the ear piece on the right kept slipping down no matter how much I tightened up the adjustment screw, which is quite annoying, I have to hold it up with tapes now. I haven't had any problem with the R2 so far.

It depends which R.1's you are speaking of.  I had 2 pairs of the latest R.1's  a few months before the R.2 Came out which I now own.  The R.1's I owned and the R.2 were identical in every way including the pads.

Dec 17, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #397 of 7,138

Quote:

My R1s have aluminium adjustment blocks, they're off the early R1 batches that never recorded driver failures...I would like to replace the earpads on mine because they are not very symmetrical but otherwise, I never had any qc issues with my pair.

I am reading that the R3 might have the tonality more like the R1, I was thinking that with the R2 being a tad leaner one could not blast it as loud as the r1 without discomfort and fatigue for a longer listening time.  The R2 was the Head-fi'ized version of Audeze vision perhaps, with the R3 returning to their original idea and vision. 

Dec 17, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #398 of 7,138
Well I guess I have rev 1, no complains other than one of the size regulator screw does not work. But I contacted audeze and they sent one out for free (I live in spain by the way).

Dec 17, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #399 of 7,138
I had both versions and Rev2 does require some additional juice but there is no fatigue in listening to the Rev2.  One might argue that one's amp and/or DAC would be more of a cause for fatigue than the Rev2 itself.  At least that's my experience.  I can say that I might fatigue faster with a tube amp like my Lyr over my V200 which has an engaging yet more laid back presentation.  But in the end none of this is due to the Rev2, what you feed into it is more likely to cause fatigue so if you adjust to the same levels for Rev1 and Rev2, neither one in itself is more likely to cause fatigue.      

Quote:

My R1s have aluminium adjustment blocks, they're off the early R1 batches that never recorded driver failures...I would like to replace the earpads on mine because they are not very symmetrical but otherwise, I never had any qc issues with my pair.

I am reading that the R3 might have the tonality more like the R1, I was thinking that with the R2 being a tad leaner one could not blast it as loud as the r1 without discomfort and fatigue for a longer listening time.  The R2 was the Head-fi'ized version of Audeze vision perhaps, with the R3 returning to their original idea and vision. 

Dec 17, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #400 of 7,138
I just finished re-assembling my rev1 with the leather headband on them, I kept my old metal adjustment blocks. These headphones are pretty well engineered from a mechanical perspective with tight CNC tolerances. My only complaints are the leather on the headband goes down a little to far to make block R&R a bit more difficult than it has to be. And the decorative screws that go in the top of the yoke pin should be made of better plastic at the very least. I assume that these minor issues have been rectified with the two new block designs and hopefully better yoke screws.

For me this is my desired Audeze headphone, tricked out just the way I want it with the rev2 earpads and all the other goodies except the new ribbon stock cable and as I said I am using those original metal blocks. I have to use a slightly bigger headband adjustment because the leather headband is tighter than the foam but comfort seems fine so far, and I'm glad to have them back in my listening rotation.

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #402 of 7,138
it's not bad. Just lift some weights, grow your hear out and enjoy
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #405 of 7,138
Quote:
How do you guys deal with the clamp, and pain on the top of your head?

I simply bend the headband with my hands enough to change its rest position to a looser one.
Metal headband => near unbreakable, you van really bend it as you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back