The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Dec 18, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #407 of 7,138

Quote:

It depends which R.1's you are speaking of.  I had 2 pairs of the latest R.1's  a few months before the R.2 Came out which I now own.  The R.1's I owned and the R.2 were identical in every way including the pads.

So are mine, but looking at the serial n° mine are Rev 1.

Dec 18, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #408 of 7,138

Quote:
How do you guys deal with the clamp, and pain on the top of your head? 

With the LCD-2's, I experienced headband "fit" issues similar to those expressed by others in this thread.  Out of the box, even at the widest setting, I could only wear the LCD-2's for 30-45 minutes before the pressure became unbearable to the point of having to remove the headphone for a few minutes.  I find it disappointing that, at this price point, Audez'e is not able to produce a headband which includes enough latitude within it's standard adjustment range as not to require physical alteration of the headband itself.  That being said, not wanting to risk damaging my investment, I was curious to see if I could come up with a practical alternative.  Here's my solution to the LCD-2 headband comfort issue.

Although, not the most elegant or attractive alternative headband solution, it is 100%  functional, and for me, I've found the wider headband to be a vast improvement in comfort over the stock Audez'e headband.  Now I can easily wear the headphones for 3-4 hours without any discomfort.  As you may have surmised, the design was patterned after another pair of headphones which can be seen behind the LCD2's.

This was a fun and inexpensive project (~$20 in materials).  Best of all, thanks to the sowing talents of my wife, I have a custom headband solution which is not only comfortable, but one that is also much more attractive than anything I could have fashioned out of duct tape. :wink:

Materials/Price List:
1/16" x 1" x 48" Aluminum Flat Bar <$8
  1. Main section ~14" (1)
  2. Left/Right supports ~2" (2)
Aluminum Standoff 3/4" Round 6-32(2) $2
#6 Philips round machine screws 1/4" (4) onhand
#4 Philips flat machine screws & nuts 3/16" (4 sets) $2
3/4" wide self-sticking Velcro tape ~6" $3
Fabric headband (scrap material) $2
Black semi-gloss spray paint (1 can) $3

Dec 18, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #411 of 7,138
Quote:
Does anyone here still use older LCD2s from last year before the whole pad revision and driver failure issues? 

Yes.  I use mine daily and have never had an issue.  Mine is from the third batch I believe.  It was right after they changed the black plastic grill to the one with the Audeze "A" but well before they changed to the larger ear pads and the newer metal rod holders.  I do appreciate their customer service though.  They must have kept track of all their early buyers because they mailed me a pair of the metal rod holders and I never even wrote or called them asking for them.  I have never had an issue with the plastic ones so I just stored away the unused metal ones for now.

Dec 18, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #412 of 7,138
That looks pretty good.  You should list the supplies you used so people can try the mod.  The alternative is you guys shave your head like me, no fit or pressure issues for me 
biggrin.gif
.  Given the choice I'd prefer a full head of hair and a modded LCD-2.

Quote:
With the LCD-2's, I experienced headband "fit" issues similar to those expressed by others in this thread.  Out of the box, even at the widest setting, I could only wear the LCD-2's for 30-45 minutes before the pressure became unbearable to the point of having to remove the headphone for a few minutes.  I find it disappointing that, at this price point, Audez'e is not able to produce a headband which includes enough latitude within it's standard adjustment range as not to require physical alteration of the headband itself.  That being said, not wanting to risk damaging my investment, I was curious to see if I could come up with a practical alternative.  Here's my solution to the LCD-2 headband comfort issue.

Dec 18, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #413 of 7,138

Quote:
That looks pretty good.  You should list the supplies you used so people can try the mod.  The alternative is you guys shave your head like me, no fit or pressure issues for me 
biggrin.gif

From the looks of your Avatar you are covered with hair, or fur actually...

Dec 18, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #414 of 7,138
Quote:
Does anyone here still use older LCD2s from last year before the whole pad revision and driver failure issues? 

Quote:
Yes.  I use mine daily and have never had an issue.  Mine is from the third batch I believe.  It was right after they changed the black plastic grill to the one with the Audeze "A" but well before they changed to the larger ear pads and the newer metal rod holders.  I do appreciate their customer service though.  They must have kept track of all their early buyers because they mailed me a pair of the metal rod holders and I never even wrote or called them asking for them.  I have never had an issue with the plastic ones so I just stored away the unused metal ones for now.

Mine are right after yours subtle, right after they switched to the new earpads but well before the driver failure issues. 

Dec 18, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #415 of 7,138
Quote:
Pics please :) Need reference

Quote:

I simply bend the headband with my hands enough to change its rest position to a looser one.
Metal headband => near unbreakable, you can really bend it as you want.

Push down the top/middle of the headband with your thumbs, and bend the sides until the headband is near to a totally flat position, I thought I was pretty obvious, or alternatively, you could stand w few books sides by side until they are 1.5 times the width of your head and let the LCD-2 rest on them for a day or two.

Dec 18, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #416 of 7,138
I get scared doing these things since I did something like this once and it just snapped.
I'll try it :)

Quote:

Push down the top/middle of the headband with your thumbs, and bend the sides until the headband is near to a totally flat position, I thought I was pretty obvious, or alternatively, you could stand w few books sides by side until they are 1.5 times the width of your head and let the LCD-2 rest on them for a day or two.

Dec 18, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #417 of 7,138
Quote:
I get scared doing these things since I did something like this once and it just snapped.
I'll try it :)

Quote:

Don;t try it with a plastic headband, metal ones are ok.

Dec 18, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #418 of 7,138

Quote:
biggrin.gif

Thanks WNBC. Getting the bends of each of section just right was a challenge, but as I said, a fun project none the less.  I've updated my original post with a materials list.

Dec 18, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #419 of 7,138
I'd pay you to make it and ship them to me. Lol you could start a successful business so long as Audez'e stays in business.

Quote:

Thanks WNBC. Getting the bends of each of section just right was a challenge, but as I said, a fun project none the less.  I've updated my original post with a materials list.

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #420 of 7,138

Quote:
I'd pay you to make it and ship them to me. Lol you could start a successful business so long as Audez'e stays in business.

Thanks for the offer Girls Generation, but this was a one off design and I have no intention of repeating the effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back