The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Apr 19, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #1,426 of 7,138

Quote:
Alternatively, if you can save up to ~$400-$450 (400 used 450 new), it would be worth your while to go for the Schiit Lyr. It matches very well with the LCD-2 from my experience.

it looks like the schiit Lyr is a safe purchase, i read about a lot

thanks

Quote:

X2 for the O2
I have both the O2 and the M-stage and the O2 is better by far with the LCD-2.
But you are welcome to buy my M-stage:)

that was helpful, but i'll be doing a little research about it
since i don't even know what it looks like ... :)

Apr 19, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #1,428 of 7,138
Quote:
sluker said:

X2 for the O2
I have both the O2 and the M-stage and the O2 is better by far with the LCD-2.
But you are welcome to buy my M-stage:)

Ok, O2 is DIY amp and you think it's better than the M-stage which is double the price !
can you be more specific please ?

Apr 19, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #1,431 of 7,138
I guess I have no choice
i'll go for the Lyr (450$)
but one last question, what is all the fuss about the O2 (DIYamp) ? it looks nice and cheap (only 150$) and can compete fairly with the benchmark !! swings a lot of voltage and
gives an insane bass authority. did I miss anything ? it's a no-brainer to get the O2, right ?!

Apr 19, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #1,432 of 7,138
For $150 it is a 'no-brainer".
Plus it's portable (sort of). I use the LCD-2 around the house with it, whereas previously they would only be used at my desk with my other amps. Not that you can't use the LCD-2 straight from source, but the O2 is the first portable amp that I have heard which gets close to my desktop set up (currently the LaFigaro 339 with 5998 tubes or the SX1250).
Quote:
but one last question, what is all the fuss about the O2 (DIYamp) ? it looks nice and cheap (only 150$) and can compete fairly with the benchmark !! swings a lot of voltage and
gives an insane bass authority. did I miss anything ? it's a no-brainer to get the O2, right ?!

Apr 20, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #1,433 of 7,138
I too use the LCD2 with my LYR but I don't really listen to it that much.  On that note I have a fitment question for other LCD2 owners....which is why I don't listen to it that much.  The actual head band doesn't seem to be wide enough for my size 8 head.  It does not matter what adjustments I make, the pad always sits very far from my head both behind and below my ears.  I'm not sure if the phone's inability to seal affects sound quality but it is physically very irritating.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Also, I kind of wondered if this was normal for this particular phone?

Apr 20, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #1,436 of 7,138
Apr 20, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #1,438 of 7,138

Quote:
I'll repeat: the next generation LCD-2s will be plastic and made in Asia.

And lose almost all appeal.

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #1,439 of 7,138

Quote:
Quote:

And lose almost all appeal.

it's not very far since they having a production problems but that's really not the case if it sounds good, the problem is making products in different price ranges. like lcd-880 or lcd-2 650 ... and you'll hear and audeze headphone competing with DT880 or HD650,
then they 'll lose the whole appeal. I really hope audeze won't do that .. but who knows ?!

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #1,440 of 7,138

Quote:

Maybe not. Maybe Alex and Sankar enjoy making their headphones the way they do.

Every change they have made to their products that I have experienced has been an improvement. I think that if they did change the materials of their headphones it would make sense that it was  an improvement. Audez'e seem like the kind of company dedicated to making the best product, and that is something I respect them for. If they made a plastic headphone that sounded great, I'd give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back