The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Mar 2, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #6,827 of 7,138
Hey guys,

I was thinking of auditioning a set of LCD-2 from thecablecompany.com. My friend and I are both very interested in hearing them, and I am curious if I would prefer them over my He-500. The only headphone amp either of us have is the magni 2 uber, and I was wondering if that would be sufficient for an audition for the LCD-2.

Thanks

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #6,828 of 7,138
  Hey guys,

I was thinking of auditioning a set of LCD-2 from thecablecompany.com. My friend and I are both very interested in hearing them, and I am curious if I would prefer them over my He-500. The only headphone amp either of us have is the magni 2 uber, and I was wondering if that would be sufficient for an audition for the LCD-2.

Thanks

From my experience, yes, even through the original Magni the LCD-2s sounded quite good to me.

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #6,829 of 7,138
  Hey guys,

Thanks

Should be fine:
Audeze LCD-2
Impedance70 ohms
Efficiency101dB / 1mW

Magni 2:
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.0W RMS per channel

Mar 2, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #6,830 of 7,138

Should be fine:
Audeze LCD-2
Impedance70 ohms
Efficiency101dB / 1mW

Magni 2:
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.0W RMS per channel

I have the Magni 2 Uber, which is 1.2W at 50Ohms, thought I'm sure 200mW isn't a make or break after 1W.

The HE-500's are 38 Ohms with only an 87dB/1mW efficiency, and I can power those to a suitable volume with low gain and the amp plugged into the rear audio port on my motherboard (as apposed to the front, where the signal is amped from the sound card). I'm certain I'll end up having to flip on the high gain to get a suitable volume out of the LCD-2.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll make sure to post my thoughts on it once I have it auditioned.

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #6,831 of 7,138
You won't get that visceral punch you desire with the LCD-2F...only from LCD-2.2 (pre-Fazor). And from LCD-X (not heard it, just based on research).

I  have an older lcd-2 and have upgraded the cable(an absolute necessity because the stock cable holds the lcd2 back noticeably) . With the cable upgrade the sound on my lcd2s got noticeably better defined with a greatly improved soundstage with a much more dimensional presentation. If you want more powerful bass I would like to suggest trying a vintage monster receiver from the late seventies. Of course make sure it has been restored with new caps and suitable cleaning. I am using a concept 16.5 receiver and the grip it provides with my older lcd2 is much greater than any headphone amp that I have heard regardless of price. That includes the cavallis. The lcd2s are way more powerful sounding with my receiver than they are with the cavallis.
   The bass is very visceral much more than any dedicated headphone amp that I have heard. One downside is the size of these receivers and the not inconsiderable weight. My concept weighs in at a hefty sixty seven pounds and is not exactly easy to move around. Some of those late seventies receivers with higher power ratings weigh in at even more.
   But if you like visceral bass check one of these monsters out with the lcd2.

Apr 8, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #6,832 of 7,138
Just got back my LCD 2 fazors. The left driver went completely dead without a warning. They were fully repaired under warranty and back to me within a week. They sound perfect. Great service. I wish everything was as easy as this.

Apr 8, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #6,833 of 7,138
Which cables did you get? I was looking for a good upgrade that didn't cost and arm and a leg....maybe just an arm.
L3000.gif

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #6,835 of 7,138
just pulled the trigger on mine, got a used one off of amazon, probably going to sell of my el-8 which was a great phone but with the lcd-2 I don't think Ill need the el-8, I might even get rid of my HE-500

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #6,836 of 7,138
Hey all,

Finally planning to pick up some LCD-2s, and found a decent pair locally for a good price.

Problem is, I'm not sure which revision they are. The seller is parting with them without the original box or packaging, and says they are Rev 2, but I'm not sure. They have a foam headband and the triangular patterned grills without the L/R indication. It has a wood connector, but I'm knowledgable enough to know which type.

I know the owner has had several pairs of these (there's record of his purchases in his feedback), so I just want to make sure he hasn't swapped some parts around to try and make these look like Rev 2s when they're actually not.

Any help would be appreciated!

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #6,837 of 7,138
Hey all,

Finally planning to pick up some LCD-2s, and found a decent pair locally for a good price.

Problem is, I'm not sure which revision they are. The seller is parting with them without the original box or packaging, and says they are Rev 2, but I'm not sure. They have a foam headband and the triangular patterned grills without the L/R indication. It has a wood connector, but I'm knowledgable enough to know which type.

I know the owner has had several pairs of these (there's record of his purchases in his feedback), so I just want to make sure he hasn't swapped some parts around to try and make these look like Rev 2s when they're actually not.

Any help would be appreciated!

Ask the seller for the serial number, you can then email Audeze and they'll tell you what revision they are.

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #6,838 of 7,138
Ask the seller for the serial number, you can then email Audeze and they'll tell you what revision they are.

Unless... he's swapped the sticker on the headband 
blink.gif

Since he's owned multiple pairs, it's possible he could do that easily. I don't get a bad vibe from the guy or anything, but the pics look 100% like a Rev1, and he is 100% adamant it is a Rev2.

First world problems, eh? haha

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #6,839 of 7,138
Unless... he's swapped the sticker on the headband :blink:

Since he's owned multiple pairs, it's possible he could do that easily. I don't get a bad vibe from the guy or anything, but the pics look 100% like a Rev1, and he is 100% adamant it is a Rev2.

First world problems, eh? haha

Pretty sure Rev 1 and early Rev 2 look the same, I believe they switched the driver material before the rest of the changes (headband, angled metal connectors).

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #6,840 of 7,138
Rev 1 is a nice phone anyway
More bass and less highs

It depends on the price you can get them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back