The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Sep 29, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #5,401 of 7,138
How dark sounding are LCD-2, and are there any factors that affect it, more or less?

For anyone who heard at least one of these below, how LCD-2 compares in terms of "darkness" of sound:

Sennheiser HD-600/650
Denon D5000/7000

I don't think they're dark, but warm.  Mid-focused.  Something like the Denons or any other bass heavy headphone I'd consider dark.

Denons dark? No way! Dark sounding has no correlation to open/closed form factor of the headphone itself.

Dark, veiled, laid back sounding are all the same thing just different terminology use, the LCD2's are laid back/dark sounding and definitely not forward/bright sounding like your Grado or HD800. 

The HD650 is warmer sounding than the LCD2 rev.2's. HD600 is neutral with a slight emphasis on the upper mids, much more neutral than both the 650 and LCD2's to these ears. But the LCD2's do hit the low octaves very nicely.

Sep 29, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #5,403 of 7,138
  Where did you get open/closed from?  Denons have way more bass than the LCD2 and are  darker sounding in my book.  LCD2 sound is more akin to the HD650, which I'd consider warm as well.

More mid bass yes, not more sub-bass. In relation to the D2 and D5k FR that I've seen I would not call the Denons more darker sounding at all compared to any of the LCD2 revisions, Pro 2900 is something I'd call dark with a bit peaky treble thanks to the Pro-Logic crap.

Again depends on which HD650 you're talking about and which revision LCD2's, pre-2006/7 HD650 units had the black felt drivers, these are veiled sounding compared to the white/grey felt drivers.

Sep 29, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #5,404 of 7,138
My only experience with the 650s were the silver ones, which I heard to be more balanced.  I'd consider them pretty mid-focused like the LCD2, although the HD650 does have a mid-bass hump whereas the LCD2 is linear.

In terms of having a downward sloping FR, yes they could be considered dark, but there's just so many bass boosted headphones out there where the bass is the dominating aspect of their signature, that it can make LCD2 and HD650 sound brighter and/or thin coming off them in comparison.  I remember comparing D2000 and HD650 and I was really surprised at how aggressive and bright sounding the HD650 sounded coming off the D2000.  That's just what having a largely emphasized bass does.

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #5,405 of 7,138
How dark sounding are LCD-2, and are there any factors that affect it, more or less?

For anyone who heard at least one of these below, how LCD-2 compares in terms of "darkness" of sound:

Sennheiser HD-600/650
Denon D5000/7000

Denons have more bass and more treble, less mids (distant compared to the LCD-2)
HD650 has more upfront mids, but rolled off bass compared to the LCD-2 although it has a strong mid-bass hump.

LCD-2 has much faster transient response than both. I don't find the latest LCD-2 that dark, My bamboo version from this year is only slightly dark of neutral for me, it's only a half a step behind the HE-500 in terms of neutrality. But it might also be that my LCD-2 is a Super-LCD-2.

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #5,406 of 7,138

Denons have more bass and more treble, less mids (distant compared to the LCD-2)
HD650 has more upfront mids, but rolled off bass compared to the LCD-2 although it has a strong mid-bass hump.

LCD-2 has much faster transient response than both. I don't find the latest LCD-2 that dark, My bamboo version from this year is only slightly dark of neutral for me, it's only a half a step behind the HE-500 in terms of neutrality. But it might also be that my LCD-2 is a Super-LCD-2.

Hey,

Mine we quite rolled off up to (r1's), but the bass/mids on mine were fantastic.

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #5,407 of 7,138
The mids indeed is like the sex with the rev.1's. With some basic mods (seriously) I've come up with they outshine the rev.2's in area's Audeze's are weak at, the treble range and dominating bass.

Sep 30, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #5,408 of 7,138
  The mids indeed is like the sex with the rev.1's. With some basic mods (seriously) I've come up with they outshine the rev.2's in area's Audeze's are weak at, the treble range and dominating bass.

Agreed.

I am not sure about the mods.  I have sold my r1's (regret face), however I ran them with a Silver Dragon Cable and they really were something.

Oct 2, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #5,409 of 7,138
What are the biggest weaknesses of LCD-2 soundwise? (not talking about possible comform issues).
I have these headphones for many months and love them for some kinds of music, especially vocal, pop, R&B, but they are quite unsuitable for me when it comes to electronic music (too closed sounding, no air, and they could benefit from more pronounced highs as well as greater speed and energy). For rock they are quite good, although sometimes not 'aggressive' enough.

I am very curious about your opinions. What do you miss the most in LCD-2's sound?

Oct 2, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #5,410 of 7,138
extended highs. what the lcd-3 fixes (to a certain degree)

Oct 2, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #5,411 of 7,138
  What are the biggest weaknesses of LCD-2 soundwise? (not talking about possible comform issues).
I have these headphones for many months and love them for some kinds of music, especially vocal, pop, R&B, but they are quite unsuitable for me when it comes to electronic music (too closed sounding, no air, and they could benefit from more pronounced highs as well as greater speed and energy). For rock they are quite good, although sometimes not 'aggressive' enough.

I am very curious about your opinions. What do you miss the most in LCD-2's sound?

Two big weaknesses of all the LCD's is the treble and soundstage, even though the LCD3 has improved a bit on these areas it still isn't what I'd consider on par with some of the other neutral performers out there in this area.

Oct 2, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #5,412 of 7,138
  extended highs. what the lcd-3 fixes (to a certain degree)

LCD3 has 'extended highs' alright 
wink.gif

Oct 3, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #5,414 of 7,138
Interesting review of LCD3's in 6Moons.  I just skimmed it but I got from it that he's not as in love with the 3's but rather the LCD2.

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #5,415 of 7,138
  Interesting review of LCD3's in 6Moons.  I just skimmed it but I got from it that he's not as in love with the 3's but rather the LCD2.

He states the LCD-3's are the best headphones he's heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back