The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Jun 23, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #5,267 of 7,138
.... as I find the HE-500s presentation more balanced and more to my liking.
[/quote]
I guess to each his or her own. I found the 500 putting me to sleep every time I listened to it hence I went back to the LCD 2.2. I find the 400 more energetic...

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #5,268 of 7,138
Quote:
I get what you're saying... but nah, I don't want something that's marginally superior. And that treble sounds too etched/raw. I would much rather wait for Fang to release a sequal to the HE-6. I also don't want to get 100 Watt Monoblocks... I'm sure Fang has the tech now to release a better HE-6 that's more efficient.

For those who are uncertain.  The HE-6 are more than marginally superior than the HE-500 IMO.  The thing with the HE-6 is it's ability to get better and better as the quality of your amp gets better.  No need for 100 watt monoblocks.  My 25 watt speaker sounds better than anything I heard "that I can afford"  I've still heard the HE-6 sound better than what I have right now.  But I'm talking about a Sim audio $8K integrated amp. I've found with the right amp/DAC - there is no etch in the treble at all.  Well maybe a different cable and pads as well.

The sub $200 a-100 does a fine job with the HE-6.  It's just a starting point and once you have that there's nowhere to go but up.  The HE-500 has a very low celling IMO.  You can get it to sound it's best on practically any headphone amp out there.

As for the LCD-2.2 - LCD-3.  For me there are no percents in play here.  I'm really not sure how someone could come up with a number without anything to measure.  Subjectively speaking - The LCD-3s are just better.  I mean to my ears - better in every way "when compared to the LCD-2.2"  The LCD-3 still lack is some areas, but they are still to my ears a worth while upgrade over the LCD-2.2 - This is after "owning" both at the same time for weeks until the LCD-2.2 had to go.  And that's the best experience one could have.  Living with both and making a decision based on what you hear at home, on your rig, with your music of choice.  

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #5,270 of 7,138
Quote:
You know you could get better amp's out there if you didn't put all that money on those other rigs since you like the HE-6 most.

Ha ha ha  - I know.  but then I won't have the other rigs 
biggrin.gif
  It's a catch 22 I guess.  I'm getting a KGSSHV-DX done now.  Boy is this thing expensive.  Don't even have a pair of stat headphones yet.  

Oh well - this wonderful hobby we have..

Jun 23, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #5,272 of 7,138
I think First Watt is pretty damn high-end/summit-fi enough. LOL. I hate Preproman because I keep wanting to buy a HE-6. I also get the feeling DefQon is right and Fang has very little interest in releasing more planars and is actually working on the Jade 2 or whatever he decides to call them.

So in conclusion I hate Preproman.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 23, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #5,274 of 7,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't hate me - Hate the game.  Or in this case the hobby.
wink_face.gif

It seems to me the headphones that's harder to drive or picky about amps are the ones that sound the best. 

This hobby is just like any other hobby. The more you learn the more you have to spend. I was into luxury watches at one point along with DSLR gear/lenses and it's just like that. I had more money back then and watches really broke my wallet hard. I'm glad I don't have the money to start collecting vintage Porsches.

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #5,277 of 7,138
Quote:

That's sounds like some kick back is due to you...  More money.. more money.. more money.....

Yeah I could do with some more money. Wish I had a tree that would endlessly grow money.

Btw. Me thinks when you get your SR-009, you'd probably sell off the HD800 and the T1 as there are some similarities in sound signature. 

Jun 29, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #5,278 of 7,138
how would taylor swift sound in these, and will the jds labs objective 2 amp work nicely with these, and how would you compare these compare to other headphones in this price range, Senn HD700, T1, HE 500, etc

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #5,279 of 7,138
Quote:
how would taylor swift sound in these, and will the jds labs objective 2 amp work nicely with these, and how would you compare these compare to other headphones in this price range, Senn HD700, T1, HE 500, etc

O2 with LCD-2 was terrible for me. Barely any bass. Vocals were thin. I strongly recommend you to NOT get that combination. O2 with HE-500 is okay/ mildly good. I've had the O2 for a year. Also had the HE-500 for a year. Had the LCD-2 for about 5 months. Currently with LCD-3. Just to give you a reference.

If you listen to taylor swift and other pop stuff, honestly either HE-500 or LCD-2 could do. LCD-2 has slightly better, or should I say, more natural vocals. LCD-2 has better bass, although HE-500 is in the same league. HE-500 has more air and sparkle and is wider. LCD-2 is more 3D though not as wide. 

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #5,280 of 7,138
Quote:

O2 with LCD-2 was terrible for me. Barely any bass. Vocals were thin. I strongly recommend you to NOT get that combination. O2 with HE-500 is okay/ mildly good. I've had the O2 for a year. Also had the HE-500 for a year. Had the LCD-2 for about 5 months. Currently with LCD-3. Just to give you a reference.

If you listen to taylor swift and other pop stuff, honestly either HE-500 or LCD-2 could do. LCD-2 has slightly better, or should I say, more natural vocals. LCD-2 has better bass, although HE-500 is in the same league. HE-500 has more air and sparkle and is wider. LCD-2 is more 3D though not as wide. 

Compared to what Zoom? The O2 is comparable to a lot of different amps, so it would be helpful to state why the O2 is so terrible.

I think the O2 would be fine, not the best, but you could do a whole lot worse. A better pairing would be the Lyr (which almost always involves tube rolling),
in which case costs more money. 

If OP TealRice set a budget perhaps we could better recommend a pairing for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back