The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Jun 23, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #5,251 of 7,138
I have not read any one else stating the difference between the LCD2 and LCD3 is 20%. imo I think that is just a completely flawed number. People pay hundreds if not thousands for a difference of 5-15% let alone anywhere near 20%. 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 23, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #5,252 of 7,138
Quote:
Hmmm. I wonder do you guys think that there is a vintage receiver that would drive the 009? I know when those guys built those receivers in the late 70's that they probably weren't planning on the lcd 2's sounding so amazing out of them. If there's a vintage receiver for the 009's I really think that could change the 2k headphone game.

I know I'm probably going to catch some flac for saying this but now that I have owned the th-600 a while I have to say it's slightly better for electronic than the lcd 2's. I have been djing electronic for close to a decade now and imo the dj's on the audeze site would really like the th-600 allot as well. It's also not the bass shockingly that does it for me. The treble is just amazing and after many years of thinking I'm a bass head I've come to the conclusion that the treble is the most important frequency as my ears are sensitive to it. Still love me some good bass though.  

No vintage amplifier/receiver was ever made that can drive Stax electrostat's directly. Only the old GAS Ampzilla amp's were made to drive the old Koss ESP6 electrostats but they use a completely different bias supply structure and pinout to the Stax electrostats.

Unless you're powering the SR-009 off an Stax SRD-7Pro/SB MK2 adaptor/energizer, defeats the purpose of even buying the 009 in the first place.

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #5,253 of 7,138
  No vintage amplifier/receiver was ever made that can drive Stax electrostat's directly. Only the old GAS Ampzilla amp's were made to drive the old Koss ESP6 electrostats but they use a completely different bias supply structure and pinout to the Stax electrostats.

Unless you're powering the SR-009 off an Stax SRD-7Pro/SB MK2 adaptor/energizer, defeats the purpose of even buying the 009 in the first place.

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #5,255 of 7,138
I have not read any one else stating the difference between the LCD2 and LCD3 is 20%. imo I think that is just a completely flawed number. People pay hundreds if not thousands for a difference of 5-15% let alone anywhere near 20%. 
rolleyes.gif

I believe Tyll said it was about 20‰ in the video where he called them his 'desert island' headphones.

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #5,257 of 7,138
Quote:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/spectacularly-yummy-audeze-lcd-2-and-lcd-3-page-3

"At twice the price of the LCD-2, is the LCD-3 twice as good? No. There's always a diminishing returns curve in high-end audio, and it's at work here as well. The common number bandied about the forums currently is something like the LCD-3 is 20% better than the LCD-2. A ridiculous assertion, but one I'll agree describes the magnitude of the difference adequately. But while I'd argue one might analyze the performance of the LCD-3 as 20% better, those improvements gain more traction in the purely subjective experience. Audiophilia is a game of barely audible inches, and the LCD-3 is a clearly audible foot or two ahead of the LCD-2."

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #5,258 of 7,138
I think you guys need to read his posts a bit more properly and yes I have read that article long ago.

Here's a quote that you guys might want to read again. Objective vs subjective point of view:

At twice the price of the LCD-2, is the LCD-3 twice as good? No. There's always a diminishing returns curve in high-end audio, and it's at work here as well. The common number bandied about the forums currently is something like the LCD-3 is 20% better than the LCD-2. A ridiculous assertion, but one I'll agree describes the magnitude of the difference adequately. But while I'd argue one might analyze the performance of the LCD-3 as 20% better, those improvements gain more traction in the purely subjective experience.

Jun 23, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #5,259 of 7,138
For me, personally, I find the LCD-2's presentation of music, initally very pleasing, but heavily colored and somewhat fatiguing in the end. Dat Bass gets tiresome after a while and the upper-mid recess makes me feel closed in sometimes--the lack of air feels like congestion. This is probably why I would never want to spend $2K on a better sounding LCD-2. Now if one just LOVES the LCD-2 and can listen to it forever and ever and will choose the presentation over all other headphones, then yeah I can see how LCD-3 is worth it to them. For sure, good for them and I'm sure it makes them VERY happy.

I think the LCD-2 already gives me a great taste for Audez'e flavor and I would love to have one again, just for days when I feel like listening to that particular coloration. But to have the LCD-2 or 3 as my main/only headphone would be a nightmare (personally speaking).

Now if Fang could make $2000, HE-600 that can compete well with the LCD-3, that would be the phone for me, as I find the HE-500s presentation more balanced and more to my liking.

Jun 23, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #5,260 of 7,138
Quote:
Now if Fang could make $2000, HE-600 that can compete well with the LCD-3, that would be the phone for me, as I find the HE-500s presentation more balanced and more to my liking.

There is, it's called the HE-6. Feed it plenty of good power and it's about the most neutral ortho you can buy right now. 

Jun 23, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #5,261 of 7,138
Quote:
There is, it's called the HE-6. Feed it plenty of good power and it's about the most neutral ortho you can buy right now. 

I get what you're saying... but nah, I don't want something that's marginally superior. And that treble sounds too etched/raw. I would much rather wait for Fang to release a sequal to the HE-6. I also don't want to get 100 Watt Monoblocks... I'm sure Fang has the tech now to release a better HE-6 that's more efficient.

Jun 23, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #5,263 of 7,138
Quote:
I'd rather Fang release quality successor to the HE Jades. We don't need Orthos from Hifiman no more since JPS Labs has the Abyss to fill in that spot right?

Has there even been any indepth side-by-side review of the Abyss vs HE6 on a number of systems? I don't think so.

Jun 23, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #5,264 of 7,138
Nah not yet, there is more of a Audeze fanbase down here in Aussie from what it seems like. This and that our headphone/amplifier distributor A2A don't stock on any quality integrated/speaker amplifiers to have the HE-6 run speaker taps off. 

So far there's an impression from one of the locals here that the Abyss sounds way neutral than the LCD3's. I'd personally take a well powered HE-6 over any LCD's of the week.

Jun 23, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #5,265 of 7,138
Quote:
I'd rather Fang release quality successor to the HE Jades. We don't need Orthos from Hifiman no more since JPS Labs has the Abyss to fill in that spot right?

I'm really excited about the next satchel JPS will release, not to mention the headphone stand. The headphone is just an afterthought...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back